Solved

Can my smart meter work out how much I export from my solar panels?

• 18 March 2017
  • 70 replies

Show first post

70 replies

I don’t disagree that the Smart Meter  records and shows the amount of energy exported but if I want this information I really do not want to visit the meter cupboard every time.  The IHD does not show instantaneous usage nor does it show the amount of energy being exported.

Userlevel 4

Agreed - but why would you need an instantaneous reading of this anyway?

I would have thought that an instantaneous reading of energy consumption is an essential to understanding how to reduce energy impact and reduce consumption and bills.  The effect different appliances have on the total consumption on a daily basis can only be accurately identified by instantaneous readouts surely.

Userlevel 4

I thought you started this thread by referring to solar panel output, not the more general proposed benefits of smart meter/IHD readings to examine usage

I’ve installed 4kW of solar panels and get 50% deemed export for FIT purposes. If I install a new smart meter will it give me an accurate export reading and, if so, will I loose my 50% deemed export?   

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @wil Parry, there is a host of info around smart meters and solar panels above. 

You will lose the 50% deemed as the smart will measure the export accurately. 

Thanks! 

Iam thinking of switching to OVO, The only reason I need a supplier who can supply a meter which is compatible with my solar panels.

Do any of you have a meter and does it work ...eg showing details of movement of power ?

Thx 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Simpritchard1 and welcome to the Forum.

This shouldn’t be a problem for any GB Energy Supplier. All Smart Meters have the ability to record exported electricity separately. It’s then just a matter of how that data is translated into the Tariff you choose.

We can probably give some more specific advice if you want. Tell us the amount of generation you have on your PV Panels and/or information about the Inverter you have installed.

Do you already have Smart Meters?

Hi,

We have a normal meter which isn't compatible with panels ... We are with Eon at the moment .

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/08/smart-meters-and-solar-panels-whats-the-sticking-point/#:~:text=Energy%20firms%20installing%20smart%20meters,if%20you%20have%20solar%20panels.

Is an interesting read ...hence me thinking about switching to OVO  ...but at the moment I would like proof the OVO meter is available and it WORKS 👍😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Simpritchard1 

I have an OVO Smartmeter and can absolutely confirm I can export energy and it records it accurately. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well that Which? article is three years old. There’s been a lot of technological advance since then!

The meter shown at the top of the article is two generations away from what is now being installed, and the bit about Nissan using electric vehicles to feed back to the grid is a project currently being run by OVO’s commercial development division, Kaluza!

There are plenty of contributors here on the Forum who are already running PV Panels through their Smart Meters. This is now so common that it hardly gets a mention.

What you will read here are debates about what happens when you wish to install a second (or third) grid-connected device.

For example, here’s a Topic about combining a Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) charger and Solar Panels without exceeding the certification and export limits.

Some customers are considering using 3-phase connection to cater for increased export. Read this Topic. That isn’t yet possible, but the discussions help us to install the correct mix of technology so that it can be future-proofed for such a Tariff when it is available.

Is it possible to have a Smart Meter fitted to record and upload meter readings from my solar panels.  This is for my FIT. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

You can indeed get Smart Meters if you have FiT, but unfortunately they’d be unable to automatically submit FiT Readings on your behalf at this time. FiT was designed prior to Smart Meters being a thing, so there’s no infrastructure in place anywhere to allow automatic reading submissions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My understanding is that FIT payments work on an assumed export basis, so you get paid for 50% of the electricity you generate however much of it you export. A smart meter will measure the actual electricity you export so aren't useful for providing information for FIT payments.

Your solar PV system should have a generation meter fitted to it that should be used to provide FIT readings.

For info, newer systems don't qualify for FIT. Instead they get SEG (smart export guarantee) which is payments for each kWh of electricity you export. To get this you need a smart meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

With a Smart Meter in place, you don’t get 50% Deemed Export Payments, you get Export Payments for the exact amount of energy exported. Just so you know!

Generation Payments remain as-is however.

Thanks for the replies. Question 1. With a smart meter would I receive twice as much lolly as I do at present?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the replies. Question 1. With a smart meter would I receive twice as much lolly as I do at present?

No

Badge +1

I have a solar array ,batteries and an Econ o miser to heat hot water ,the water heater is fine as is the export meter (for the fit payment ) and the batteries charge as well but since the smart meter was fitted I seem to using excess power so I wonder if the smart meter has been incorrectly installed and is in fact charging me for the solar generated energy ! who can I go to to investigate ? is it OVO or whoever installed the smart meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you can post a photo of the connections we might be able to give a thought or two. Try not to post any personal info (serial nos etc)

Userlevel 7

Yep rare as that sounds, @Ron Hardie, we’ve seen examples of solar installs being connected incorrectly. A few photos of the connections and meter will help us check...