Solved

Can a Secure Liberty 100 electricity smart meter display both dual fuel usage and readings?

• 22 September 2020
  • 9 replies

When OVO installed our smart meters 5 years ago. The gas meter installed down in our outside meter box was one where the display was on the side and too close to the side of the meter box to be able to see any readings.

I believe the gas data is feed through the electricity meter before being transmitted to OVO. Can the gas consumption be read through this meter as well?

icon

Best answer by Transparent 22 September 2020, 17:22

Hi @PeterTheBike and welcome to the Forum. It’s great to see a question with a relevant/useful photo attached at the outset!

The answer is unfortunately “no”.

Your SMETS1 Electricity Meter is actually two units, not one. The lower part is the meter itself, and that’s the part which has the display.

The upper section is the Communications Hub, and that has the LED indicators for WAN and HAN.

The Gas Meter is actually in communication with the Comms Hub, which is where all your readings are stored. They get sent to your online account though!

See the Secure SMETS1 smart meter guide for more info.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @PeterTheBike and welcome to the Forum. It’s great to see a question with a relevant/useful photo attached at the outset!

The answer is unfortunately “no”.

Your SMETS1 Electricity Meter is actually two units, not one. The lower part is the meter itself, and that’s the part which has the display.

The upper section is the Communications Hub, and that has the LED indicators for WAN and HAN.

The Gas Meter is actually in communication with the Comms Hub, which is where all your readings are stored. They get sent to your online account though!

See the Secure SMETS1 smart meter guide for more info.

Userlevel 7

Are we happy with this reply, @PeterTheBike ? I’ll assign it as the best answer today, but let us know the latest! 

Out of interest, do you use your online account to see your gas and elec usage? What about an In Home Display?

Thanks for answering my question. Unfortunately the reason for the question is I can save about £200 per annum changing supplier. But where my gas smart meter was installed means I can’t see the display to get a gas reading. So the only way for a gas reading is for it to be sent by the smart meter to OVO.

Therefore I can’t change suppliers!

Userlevel 7

But where my gas smart meter was installed means I can’t see the display to get a gas reading. So the only way for a gas reading is for it to be sent by the smart meter to OVO.

You can see your smart meter readings online via the ‘meter readings’ tab, @PeterTheBike 

On the day of the switch ( :disappointed: ) you can get the reading online or if need be, reach out to our Support team who will confirm this to you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have another solution which might work for you @PeterTheBike 

When I’ve visited a property with a gas meter in a similar location, I’ve put my smart-phone into the gap between the meter display and the meter-box. There was just enough room for me to place a finger on screen and take a photo.

The focus wasn’t ideal but it was certainly legible!

I have another solution which might work for you @PeterTheBike 

When I’ve visited a property with a gas meter in a similar location, I’ve put my smart-phone into the gap between the meter display and the meter-box. There was just enough room for me to place a finger on screen and take a photo.

The focus wasn’t ideal but it was certainly legible!

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this yesterday but didn’t succeed in getting a readable image.:frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Tim_OVO would OVO Marketing Dept be interested in producing a branded periscope?  :nerd:

Userlevel 7

@PeterTheBike how about my suggestion? 

You can see your smart meter readings online via the ‘meter readings’ tab, @PeterTheBike 

On the day of the switch ( :disappointed: ) you can get the reading online or if need be, reach out to our Support team who will confirm this to you. 

Also, 

would OVO Marketing Dept be interested in producing a branded periscope?  :nerd:

:joy::joy: Do you remember the branded solar powered battery we sent you, @Transparent - still work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, the branded solar battery still works, @Tim_OVO 

When I plug it into my SmartPhone, it adds 1% to the charge! :face_palm_tone1:

What could possibly go wrong with an OVO periscope?