Solved

Will SMETS2 meters have better signal?

• 13 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I have been with OVO almost 2 years and the renewal date is September this year, OVO only supply electric as they were not competitive when i was last looking for gas.
I have a smet1 meter with OVO
I am with Npower for gas and asked them to supply a smart meter, its taken months but on arrival today they could not fit a smart meter as the signal is only 7 (that must be too low, am not sure)
Im in a terrace house and the electric comes into the meter at the back and the gas at the front with the meter being in a box outside at the front.

I wonder if ever it will be possible to go dual fuel smart and does the new meters (smet2) make it easier to get a signal.

If OVO are now more competitive then i may go dual fuel with them but would need to research first, the renewal dates for OVO and Npower will not coincide so going dual fuel will cause me to pay an exit fee whatever way i go.
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 3 July 2019, 15:46

Hey @g4jnw I changed your topic title slightly, to help other users find it easily.

To have smart meters for both fuels, you need to have dual fuel with the same provider. This is because the gas meter communicates with the electricity meter which in turn communicates with your supplier.

You'll find lots of hand info about the SMETS2 meters and how it works with providing a better signal here.

Hope this helps!
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @g4jnw I changed your topic title slightly, to help other users find it easily.

To have smart meters for both fuels, you need to have dual fuel with the same provider. This is because the gas meter communicates with the electricity meter which in turn communicates with your supplier.

You'll find lots of hand info about the SMETS2 meters and how it works with providing a better signal here.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 1
Thanks I didn't realise that, have cancelled my contract with OVO and Npower and gone with another provider, I did phone OVO and they said even if i went dual fuel that they would not change the meter to a SMET2 so sorry but im going.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry to hear you're leaving, @g4jnw, we won't be replacing functioning smart meters for SMETS2 meters, this is because a remote update will ensure all smart meters have the same functionally. We could offer you a smart meter that functions with us for the gas, but it would have to be a first generation meter to be compatible with your electric meter.

Thanks!