Will shortwave interference reduce when SMETS1 changes to SMETS2?

• 1 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
I have been with OVO about a year and have a Smet1 meter fitted, im with electricity only as ive had a 2 year contract with Better energy for gas, the tariff with them was the best around BUT the tariff is coming to an end at the end of Jan 2019 and ive been doing manual readings monthly.

As a radio amateur im very aware that some radio amateurs have been refusing smart meters as they interfere with Shortwave, putting out a hash type (white noise) out, making it impossible to use the receiver/transceiver.

For me as far as i can see i have no issues with mine, I do with VDSL but thats another story.

I am now looking for a dual fuel fixed tariff so searching for the best and cheapest in my area, if i move from OVO i'll be paying a penalty but thats not a problem.

What i would like to know from others in my hobby who have actual experience (not guessers) Is the technology any different with smet1 or smet2 ie; less or more likely to interfere with shortwave, usually better screening helps with stuff like this.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @g4jnw; well you hardly need to fill out your Forum Profile page... I just typed your Handle into a search engine and found out loads about you!

I can help with part of the answer to the question you pose. I know about the Smart Meter specifications.

A Smart Meter for Electricity connects to the GSM (mobile phone) network in order to transfer data to your Energy Supply company. It isn't a direct connection. The Data Communication Company (DCC) actually handle the transfers and they employ an integrated encryption and error-correction system.

Smart Meter communications between your gas meter and the electricity (master) meter use Zigbee, running at 2.4GHz. This is the same frequency as WiFi and many other in-home devices such as door bells, but at a lower data-rate.

Zigbee also links up your In-Home-Device (IHD) to the electricity Smart Meter, and SMETS2 meters can use it to handle Auxiliary Load Control Switch devices like EV Car-chargers and Smart Tumble-Driers.

There is no difference in the frequencies used between SMETS1 and SMETS2 meters.

Ofcom have acquired the 870-876 MHz and 915-921 MHz frequencies, which have been released by the military. These are proposed to replace Zigbee in later Smart Meter iterations for HAN (Home Area Network) use.

I can't see how any of this would be causing interference within the Short Wave (1.7–30 MHz) frequencies.
Userlevel 1
Haha yes i should stop using my callsign as a username at least when i have snuffed it i'll be searchable!!
Fine on that, i didn't think there would be an issue but others have complained about interference on Shortwave.
I am licensed to go into higher VHF/UHF and even Microwave but i prefer Shortwave so no worry there.
I did contact a company today to ask them if they are issuing smet2 meters yet but there seems to be a delay, maybe its the take up hasn't been as big.

I will wait then till mid month and make my decision based on costs, rather than smet1 or 2.

With OVO i dont use the inhouse device as i can get daily breakdowns on the website and ive already gone through the initial, how to save period and now find my usage optimum for me.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions its put my mind at rest.
I have dualk fuel smart meters, it has compleatly wiped out 80 meter and 40 meter use, as i understand it is not the rf signals comming from the smart meter but internal powersupply hash.
so my question and my applogies if this has beren asked before how can i filter this broadband white noise hash that is causing the entire house electrical system to radiate this noise🤤
Userlevel 1
I did some digging and i found my problem was VDSL it wiped all frequencies up to almost 40m but its well known even by the RSGB.

On another subject ive left OVO now but the smart meter is still in although not reporting back obviously, so its only acting as a passive meter.

Im now with another company dual fuel but not on smart meters yet.
Userlevel 1
I have dualk fuel smart meters, it has compleatly wiped out 80 meter and 40 meter use, as i understand it is not the rf signals comming from the smart meter but internal powersupply hash.
so my question and my applogies if this has beren asked before how can i filter this broadband white noise hash that is causing the entire house electrical system to radiate this noise🤤

I have tried all sorts to remove VDSL hash, even bought a receive loop to null it out but its 360 degrees. I have ferrites and noise filters on everything inc the coax to the tx/rx plus a 1-1 balun, reduces it by 1 S point. Can i ask if you turn off the mains and run your gear on battery, does it go away? VDSL won't, if your sure its from the smart meter then ferrites may reduce it.
Userlevel 1
Further to my last message, it was fortunate in a way the that the powergrid company had to cut off the supply due to lightening damage, this left us all without power so no smart meters no nothing. While off i set up my FTDX3000 on battery and ran some tests. Here is the 80m band, you can see a small section where there is no interference (the dark blue) the noise drops to S1 but rises to S8 as you go past the clear section. The image shows it well. I am told that even though all modems etc will be off that VDSL signals are still present on dropper wires and wires from the cabinet to the homes, if thats true it looks like it is VDSL.

Userlevel 1
Here its in the clear area.