Solved

Will my Smart meter from a previous supplier work with OVO?

Hi

I have a smart meter from eon for electricity, will that still work with Ovo?

When I log in to Ovo it says I have a smart meter installed for electricity so I’m assuming it is that?

If not then not sure why it thinks I have a smart meter!

Thanks for any help
icon

Best answer by Transparent 11 March 2018, 12:02

Hi @benb,

Yes, you should be OK.

Have a look at this thread where I wrote a more comprehensive answer a week ago.

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @benb,

Yes, you should be OK.

Have a look at this thread where I wrote a more comprehensive answer a week ago.

**Updated 24/07/2019**
Hi @benb,

Yes, you should be OK.

Thanks for response but not really sure what that means? Also the meter reading on OVO site is higher than the smart says
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ok, @benb. There are two issues here.

Firstly, the reason your Smart Meter should continue to operate ok now that you've moved from E.on to OVO is that they both use Secure meters with the same software protocols. It's rather like saying that both companies install meters that have the same language.

Secondly, when you say that the reading on OVO's site is higher, are you looking at a Statement you've downloaded or at the meter reading given online in My.OVO ?

When you switch companies, the receiving company notifies the National Database that you are moving to them on a particular date, generally in about 3 weeks time. On the switch-date your Smart Meter reading is logged into this same database by the Receiving Company (OVO).

The old company has a few days to query the reading or object to the transfer. Then about two weeks later the old company issue you with your Final Bill.

The Final Bill should have a meter reading which is identical to the Opening Reading on your OVO Statement.

Have you received both the Final Bill and your first Statement from OVO?
Hello thanks for the explanation.

I haven't had a final bill yet but what I mean is the reading up on the ovo website is higher than the number on the smart meter if that makes sense?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK. Understood.

So first of all I would hope matters will automatically get sorted once the two Companies have completed the system for handling a switch. Personally I would wait until I have at least got the Final Bill and the First OVO Statement before emailing Customer Services.

When you say "the reading up on the ovo website", I'm assuming you're looking at the page called Meter Readings once you've logged in though My OVO?

I have no idea how this figure is generated on a new account with a Smart Meter. I'm assuming that DCC (who handle your Smart Meter traffic) must go through a switch process to redirect your meter controls from E.on to OVO. For security reasons this won't be instantaneous.

You could always try nudging the system by manually submitting the reading from your meter! It's not going to do any harm.
When I switched to OVO I was told that the Smart meter I had from my previous supplier (E.ON) was not suitable and that I would have to send meter readings manually. I sent the first one and tried to do it again this month, but now my account says that I have a smart meter so I can't send manual readings any more.

Is this because OVO actually can access the information from E.ON's smart meters or is there a fault with my account settings?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Grumblegore,

I think there was some misunderstanding when you spoke to OVO. The "language" spoken by E.ON's meters and OVO's meters is the same. OVO can read your meter. The data communications will have been re-directed to them by DCC at the same time as your Switch was notified to the National Database.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Grumblegore,

I've moved your comment over here to a thread about EON meters. @Transparent I've moved your reply too 🙂

You should be able to find the info you need here, or by following the link in the first reply.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
I have recently moved from British Gas to a new electricity provider Pure Planet. On paper it sounds like a great service, however as they only provide Support via a clunky email system, all queries are directed to their "Not so Smart" AI Bot !!!

In summary, I have no issue with my BG closing account reading and my opening Pure Planet reading (11161). However and having now provided Pure Plant the meter reading for the first months usage the smart meter shows a value of (14700). I have no idea how or why the reading has shot-up to this value, as my average monthly usage with BG is typically 350 units and here we can see the meter reading usage to be 10 times this figure. I would also like to add that we were away for 7 days in April due to Easter holiday.

As Pure Planet are unable to remotely read the meter (like most suppliers) they simply go by the meter reading provided by the customer and as entered via the App at the end of each month. So therefore I am now at the mercy of a new Supplier and a Smart Meter reading that is both inaccurate and no longer being remotely managed by my supplier.

Any help or suggestions towards how best I can resolve my predicament would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Buck Rogers,

Though a lot of these processes are standard across the energy industry, we can't really comment on other suppliers' practises. Pure Planet have their own online community which you can find here, as well as a webchat service within their app.

Thanks

I have a smart meter from a previous supplier (I’ve just switched a couple of weeks ago) but it never had any “smart” functionality. I don’t have any screen to view and have always had to submit my monthly readings. 
can I keep the meter but get a screen from OVO so I can actually monitor my usage?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Check out the best answer, @Redcroft, if your meter isn’t compatible we will be able to offer you a free installation here.