Solved

Will my Scottish Power smart meter work if I switch to OVO?

Show first post

29 replies

If you have a Smart Meter installed by OVO does that mean you are tied to OVO and can never switch to another provider?

If the answer to the above is no, should we switch will we need to have a new meter fitted or will the existing meter still work
If you have a Smart Meter installed by OVO does that mean you are tied to OVO and can never switch to another provider?

If the answer to the above is no, should we switch will we need to have a new meter fitted or will the existing meter still work

hi, steve.
1) you will not be tied to any supplier by your Smart Meter. You can switch whenever to whoever you wish.

2) if you switch, your smart meter may or may not be compatible with your new supplier's. If not, all you need to do is to supply the meter readings to the supplier when requested.

My meters were originally fitted by Eon, when I switched to Sainsbury's Energy I just gave them meter readings as they didn't support Smart meters. Now with OVO I leave everything to it since OVO has the same smart meter system. I hope my answer is of some help to you.
The Smart meter I have was installed by Scottish Power.
I arranged to have it changes by Economy Energy but no one came back to me.
The meter seems to beep quite a lot and I have no idea if the readings are accurate now or not.

I've provided the readings as per the meter but would like to have one that is compatible with OVO fitted asap. Please could you advise?

Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I've provided the readings as per the meter but would like to have one that is compatible with OVO fitted asap. Please could you advise?

See above @Sandra - that meter isn't compatible with OVO to work as a smart meter.

Click here to access our booking platform and get your OVO smart meter fitted!