Solved

Will my Scottish Power smart meter work if I switch to OVO?

I switched from Scottish Power a few months ago. They fitted smart meters for me but these don't seem to be recognised by Ovo as you keep asking me to read the meters. Why would this be?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 12 July 2017, 15:52

Hi @JohnnyO

Good topic here - I've edited the title and added some tags to help others find it.

Not all smart meters will keep the ‘smart’ functions when you switch to OVO. If you have a Utilita, First Utility or E.On smart meter, it’s likely we’ll be able to automatically take your readings as we’re using the same brand of smart meters. There's a topic here that might help:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/first-utility-smart-meters-secure-liberty-100-are-they-compatible-with-ovo-5460#post15309

If Scottish Power installed your meters then they will still measure your usage, but we probably won’t be able to connect to them so you’d need to take the readings yourself and send them to us. We can always look to install a free OVO smart meter for you in that case! You can read more about all things smart with OVO here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters

Tim
View original

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @JohnnyO

Good topic here - I've edited the title and added some tags to help others find it.

Not all smart meters will keep the ‘smart’ functions when you switch to OVO. If you have a Utilita, First Utility or E.On smart meter, it’s likely we’ll be able to automatically take your readings as we’re using the same brand of smart meters. There's a topic here that might help:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/first-utility-smart-meters-secure-liberty-100-are-they-compatible-with-ovo-5460#post15309

If Scottish Power installed your meters then they will still measure your usage, but we probably won’t be able to connect to them so you’d need to take the readings yourself and send them to us. We can always look to install a free OVO smart meter for you in that case! You can read more about all things smart with OVO here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters

Tim
I have BG smart meters fitted ( Landis & Gyr E470/G470 ) and the standard GEO readout. I would like to switch to OVO fixed monthly payments and wondered if my SMART meters will work with OVO. It would be a shame if they don't . Can anyone help ? Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I have BG smart meters fitted ( Landis & Gyr E470/G470 ) and the standard GEO readout. I would like to switch to OVO fixed monthly payments and wondered if my SMART meters will work with OVO. It would be a shame if they don't . Can anyone help ? Thanks

Hi @goldfish99 - I've moved your query to another topic on the same thing. That way it's all in the same place!

British Gas smart meters usually aren't compatible with us at the moment. But if you wanted to be sure, feel free to PM me your full address and I'll check the meter type.

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on what happens if your meters can't communicate with us.

Tim
Hi
How do I find out if my current smart meter will work when I join OVO?
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi
How do I find out if my current smart meter will work when I join OVO?
Thanks

Hey elinreynolds,

I’ve moved your topic onto here - I hope you find the information on this thread helpful!

Lucy
Do SSE Smart Meters work with OVO please? If not, how long does it take to get one of your smart meters installed?

I am in the process of switching to you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @adamg

Great to here you are switching over to OVO, welcome to our forum too!

I've checked and SSE meters will not communicate with our systems, but fear not, as soon as you are on supply with us, you will be able to access our Smart Meter booking platform and arrange to get our meters installed so we can get you fully up and running with us.

Availability does depend on area, but the wait shouldn't be too long. As soon as you are on supply check out the https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit and you will be able to browse the appointments available and select one convenient to you.

Hope this helps, comment below if you have any other questions for the group.

Darran
I am currently with Scottish Gas who have provided me with a smart meter will it work with OVO
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am currently with Scottish Gas who have provided me with a smart meter will it work with OVO

Hey Rab - I’ve moved your topic over here as I think Tim’s response will help!

Lucy
Hi everyone,

My gas and electricity are scheduled to be supplied by ovo next week. I have smart meters that were installed by Eon. Could you do opening meter readings via smart meters or do I still need to do them manually?

Regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi everyone,

My gas and electricity are scheduled to be supplied by ovo next week. I have smart meters that were installed by Eon. Could you do opening meter readings via smart meters or do I still need to do them manually?

Regards

Good question this @Hsu.H

There's a window of 5 days either side of your supply start date for the opening meter readings to be received and sent off to be checked over. As we'll be taking over the meter from your supply start date (taking a few days to be complete), I'd recommend submitting them yourself via My OVO, just to be sure: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

Tim
It appears in the press to be fact now that smart meters fitted by different suppliers are not interchangeable,therefore it maybe difficult to change your energy supplier ,leaving you locked to your present supplier no matter what,is this the case with OVO?,if it is not can OVO issue a statement to this effect.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I agree that it is daft that the meters are currently not completely interchangeable, but I'm not sure the Energy companies are to blame for this.

The government gave them all targets to meet for Smart Meter roll out before the centralised Data Communications Company (DCC) hub was even up and running.

Now everyone is trying to find ways of making the existing meters compatible so they don't have to go and re-fit all the first generation smart meters. See this article:
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/04/software-engineers-in-race-against-time-to-make-smart-meters-work-properly/

What I don't understand is why having a smart meter fitted makes it difficult to change energy suppliers? Surely the worst case is that the meter stops being "smart" and you have to go back to taking manual readings by pressing "9" on the meter until they sort this mess out? Or am I missing something else?
I agree with all you have said,but I still believe that a declaration of conformity and interoperability should come from any of the suppliers,certainly the governing body should be proactive in this situation and publish this themselves at the very least,from my perspective I already have monitoring apparatus at the meter so I do not need a smart meter,only the utility companies need it to increase their cash flow by up to date consumption.
If I get a new smart meter from OVO will other companies be able to use it if I switch at the end of my fixed tariff?
i had a smart metre fitted by old supplier , how can i now give readings ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Probably manually for the time being, unless they happen to be the same meters that OVO fits.
Do you have a number keypad on your meter? Normally pressing 9 gives you the meter reading.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
If I get a new smart meter from OVO will other companies be able to use it if I switch at the end of my fixed tariff?

Hi John,

I hope you'll want to stay as an OVO customer after your current fixed contract ends.

That said, here's a list of suppliers that use the same type of meter (best to check with them directly to make sure):

Economy Energy
Utilita
First Utility
Ecotricity
Co op Energy
E limited
Utility Warehouse
Robin Hood Energy
Bristol Energy
Flow Energy
Spark Energy
Toto Energy Limited

Tim
I moved to Ovo a few months ago from Scottish Gas (SG). I've had a SG smart meter for about 12 months but am now being offered a Ovo smart meter. I was hoping someone knows about this:

Does anyone know if the SG one is compatible with Ovo and how to activate this, and
If not, will Ovo replace the old SG smart meter with a new Ovo one?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Saw Martin Lewis on the box last night - he says smart meters restrict changing suppliers as they are not compatible with other energy companies. I have mine booked to be fitted Thursday and now not sure to go ahead. Any thoughts?
Userlevel 5
Badge
I moved to Ovo a few months ago from Scottish Gas (SG). I've had a SG smart meter for about 12 months but am now being offered a Ovo smart meter. I was hoping someone knows about this:

Does anyone know if the SG one is compatible with Ovo and how to activate this, and
If not, will Ovo replace the old SG smart meter with a new Ovo one?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey @brodie2000 @mosyposy

I've moved your topic to this thread, where you should find the answers to your questions!

Nancy
Hi,

I'm considering switching to OVO. I currently have an e-On Smart Meter which I find very useful.
a). If the meter is compatible do OVO automatically start using it? If so when?
b) if the meter is not compatible do OVO replace it when we switch over (if we do)
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi,

I'm considering switching to OVO. I currently have an e-On Smart Meter which I find very useful.
a). If the meter is compatible do OVO automatically start using it? If so when?
b) if the meter is not compatible do OVO replace it when we switch over (if we do)

Hey @Coyley1,

I've moved your topic over here where you'll be able to find the answers you need!

Cheers,
Nancy
Hi i was wondering if my smart meters a compatable with you system. Im moving from npower with Landis + Gyr smart meters.
My gas meter serial number is E6S01425861760.
My electric serial is 17L0049734

Thanks do much in advance.
Andrew Mulqueen
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Your Smart Meter isn't compatible with OVO's system. See the Guide https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/switching-suppliers-with-a-smart-meter.html and the section headed "Which energy providers are compatible with OVO smart products?"

This lists only E.ON, First Utility and Utilita meters as being compatible with OVO.

So your existing Smart Meter will automatically change to a dumb mode, still operating, but requiring you to take readings manually.

Don't be in a hurry to change things. The new SMETS2 Smart Meter standard is being unrolled later this year. You're best waiting to see how this goes. At some stage OVO will make an assessment of which existing meters can be upgraded and will announce how this procedure will work.

There's no point striving to be an early-adopter and then wrestling with unforeseen problems.

BTW, it's not good practice to publish meter serial numbers (or Meter Point Reference Numbers) on public forums. You never know when a malicious third party might use this information and try to talk to your Energy Supplier as if they were you.

I have twice found that third parties had been able to persuade my regional Water Company that they should be sent invoices for water/sewage provision at my house. Once they had succeeded in being sent the invoice to a 3rd-party address, this was used to obtain a bank account. After all, they could produce the required "Utility Bill"!

Whilst I didn't suffer financially from this Identity Theft, it showed me why little details like your meter numbers should be kept secret.

HTH

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings