Solved

Why is my first generation smart meter not working with OVO since moving from British Gas?

• 15 May 2019
  • 2 replies

I moved recently from British Gas and both the smart meters that worked with them now don't so I am currently manually supplying the readings.

I have booked Ovo to fit smart meters thinking this would be the best route to replace the British Gas meters, but on further thought I wondered if there was something else that needed to happen to make the existing meters work and whether I have gone down the right route?

Any advice greatfully received!!
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 May 2019, 12:02

Hi @sifi74,

You've done the right thing! As far as I'm aware, British Gas smart meters aren't compatible with any other supplier in the UK, so it's best to get them changed.

A number of other suppliers use the same model of meter as us, meaning you can switch to them and they'll still work. These include:

Utilita
Co-operative Energy
First Utility
Electricity Plus Supply (The Utility Warehouse)
Toto
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy
Eversmart Energy
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy
Ecotricity

Hope this helps!
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @sifi74,

You've done the right thing! As far as I'm aware, British Gas smart meters aren't compatible with any other supplier in the UK, so it's best to get them changed.

A number of other suppliers use the same model of meter as us, meaning you can switch to them and they'll still work. These include:

Utilita
Co-operative Energy
First Utility
Electricity Plus Supply (The Utility Warehouse)
Toto
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy
Eversmart Energy
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy
Ecotricity

Hope this helps!
Thanks for clarifying @Nancy_OVO. Good to know I was on the right track 🙂