Solved

Why am I unable to switch to another supplier due to my smart meter?

• 21 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi

I am unable to switch to another supplier due to the smart meter i have installed.

They can't support it.

Is it possible to have the smart functionality disabled to allow me to do so?

Cheers
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 24 September 2019, 12:36

Hi @kjhoran,

It sounds like your smart meters send the readings every half hour (in case you were interested, this gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win).

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlements (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully.

That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. It will take several weeks to do. A quicker way would be to reach out to your chosen supplier and highlight their error. Drop us an email (hello@ovoenergy.com) or send us a message on Facebook (m.me/ovoenergy) with your account number, full name and DoB and we can look into this for you.

Hope this helps!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @kjhoran,

It sounds like your smart meters send the readings every half hour (in case you were interested, this gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win).

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlements (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully.

That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. It will take several weeks to do. A quicker way would be to reach out to your chosen supplier and highlight their error. Drop us an email (hello@ovoenergy.com) or send us a message on Facebook (m.me/ovoenergy) with your account number, full name and DoB and we can look into this for you.

Hope this helps!