Pinned Solved

When will the new smart meters (SMETS2) be rolled out?

• 19 July 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Haven't a smart meter yet ! As still with BG & have had a very dissapointing relationship with them ! Looking to move shortly though.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 20 July 2017, 16:03

Hey @Steveo

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's great to hear you're thinking about switching to OVO.

The honest answer to this is no..not yet anyway.

The new smart meter role is due around 2020, but we don't have an official start date yet. However, we're hoping to roll them out much sooner than this...so watch this space!

** Updated 11/07/2019** You can find all the info you need about SMETS2 here.
Cheers,
Emily

P.s. I've tweaked the title of your topic to make it easier for other users to find.
View original

6 replies

Hey @Steveo

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's great to hear you're thinking about switching to OVO.

The honest answer to this is no..not yet anyway.

The new smart meter role is due around 2020, but we don't have an official start date yet. However, we're hoping to roll them out much sooner than this...so watch this space!

** Updated 11/07/2019** You can find all the info you need about SMETS2 here.
Cheers,
Emily

P.s. I've tweaked the title of your topic to make it easier for other users to find.
The last time this question was asked the roll-out of second generation (ie compatible with all suppliers) smart meters was supposed to be this year. Why the delay now? If the technology is already available why do we have to wait another 3 years for it? I'm not inclined to opt for a first generation smart meter only to have to have it replaced in another 3 years...
Badge
Hi
Another question if I may ! We have an economy 7 meter installed, and are on a standard tarriff. We don't ever want e7 ! and would like this meter removed. If I had one of your smart meters installed, would they remove this if requested ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi
Another question if I may ! We have an economy 7 meter installed, and are on a standard tarriff. We don't ever want e7 ! and would like this meter removed. If I had one of your smart meters installed, would they remove this if requested ?

You can set up a smart meter to be in an Economy 7 or standard setting, @Steveo

If you get a smart meter appointment, just make sure there isn't an old heating system linked up with the meter. Usually Economy set ups have this kind of thing, and an electrician will be able to disconnect it from the meter.

Tim
Badge
I have now signed up with OVO. I am now being told I have to have a new smart meter if don't want e7 !! In other words I cannot be on my selected single rate tariff, because I have an old e7 meter ! I feel this is inaccurate information ! As was on a single rate tarriff with previous supplier. My house has been rewired and a new gas central heating system installed a year ago. The meter reading for the old e7 doesn't register, as it is not connected to anything. I hope I am not going to have future problems with this, as this is why I left BG !!...... HASTLE . I take it I have a cooling off period ??

"Copy of OVO email"

Hello Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch with your meter reading.

I have checked your property on the national database for electricity and the meter is recorded as being Economy 7 duel rate meter.

With a traditional meter we are unable to change from Economy 7 to single rate without exchanging the meter.

We would be able to offer you a single rate meter exchange by installing a free smart meter. Until the meter exchange you will be on a Economy 7 tariff.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Kind regards,
David

I haven't had reply from the 2/11/17 when I responded to this !

Please respond to my enquiry asap. I can then make an informed decision.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have now signed up with OVO. I am now being told I have to have a new smart meter if don't want e7 !! In other words I cannot be on my selected single rate tariff, because I have an old e7 meter ! I feel this is inaccurate information ! As was on a single rate tarriff with previous supplier. My house has been rewired and a new gas central heating system installed a year ago. The meter reading for the old e7 doesn't register, as it is not connected to anything. I hope I am not going to have future problems with this, as this is why I left BG !!...... HASTLE . I take it I have a cooling off period ??

"Copy of OVO email"

Hello Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch with your meter reading.

I have checked your property on the national database for electricity and the meter is recorded as being Economy 7 duel rate meter.

With a traditional meter we are unable to change from Economy 7 to single rate without exchanging the meter.

We would be able to offer you a single rate meter exchange by installing a free smart meter. Until the meter exchange you will be on a Economy 7 tariff.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Kind regards,
David

I haven't had reply from the 2/11/17 when I responded to this !

Please respond to my enquiry asap. I can then make an informed decision.

Hey Steveo,

This information is correct. We need customers to sign up to the correct tariff for their meter set up, so you’d have needed to have signed up to us as an economy 7 customer.

As we mentioned in the email though, we can install a smart meter for you if you wish to be on standard rates. All customers will get a 14 day cooling off period in which they can cancel if they think this is the best thing to do.

Lucy