Solved

Thinking of moving to EDF. What smart meter do I have?

Hi
I had a smart meter installed by Eon about 2.5 years ago. I think moved to Ovo. Smart meter still worked. I am now thinking of moving to EDF, but I don't know what type of meter I have. How do I establish this?
Many thanks
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 7 August 2019, 22:00

@chriswa

Sorry I read that wrong. If you were moving back to Eon then it would work. As for EDF being able to take over the new smart meters. This is a gamble I guess seeing as we were both surprised OVO were able to take over from Eon.

Have a lovely evening
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @chriswa

If this was about 2.5 years ago. I would imagine it will be 1st Gen Meters. I am impressed it worked when you moved over to OVO. I would imagine if you move back to EDF, I do not see why you would have any issues with EDF taking over the smart meters.
Hi ITGeek123
Many thanks for your response. I was surprised the switch from Eon worked too, which confused me as I was expecting it not to. I'm not moving back to EDF however, they would be a new supplier to me.
Thanks again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@chriswa

Sorry I read that wrong. If you were moving back to Eon then it would work. As for EDF being able to take over the new smart meters. This is a gamble I guess seeing as we were both surprised OVO were able to take over from Eon.

Have a lovely evening
*** Edited by moderators**
Thanks Johnnick,
What exactly can I download? I don't understand why anyone other than EDF would be providing information?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @chriswa Do NOT go to that site.

Forum Member @johnnick has joined in the last two hours in order to leave URL links to suspicious websites.

I have reported this to the Moderators.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Erm... so @Amy_OVO can you please DELETE the post from @chriswa where he quotes from the earlier spurious post? Otherwise people can still click on it!

And then you can delete this post, and my earlier one where I posted the warning.

That leaves us with no public record of the potentially dangerous posts.

... and I've just flagged yet another one to you which needs attention. Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I've edited the thread @Transparent, there's no link on view now 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK, thanks. So I'll now answer the original question from @chriswa !

I mostly agree with @ITGeek123 - your meter will be a SMETS1 and undoubtedly manufactured by Secure. These were used by both OVO and E.ON and connected to a similar network - hence your ability to move suppliers whilst retaining Smart capability.

When you move to EDF there will be a period when you will lose smart-readings. This will be resolved when all the existing SMETS1 meters are migrated to the National Smart Meter Network in several months time.

There is a 3-stage process occurring to permit this migration. Step 1 has been completed. The second stage is called "Middle Operating Capability" and is scheduled for next month (Sept'19). The final stage has no time-frame at present, but involves new code being downloaded into your meter remotely. No site visit should be required.

Shortly after that 3rd stage, EDF should be informing you that they are now receiving smart readings from you.

Some people are deciding that they would rather remain with their existing Energy Supplier until the network migration has been successfully achieved. This might make it less easy for a new Supplier to blame a previous one if problems ensue.

The choice is yours; and you can remain a member of this Forum anyway. It's not linked to you holding an OVO energy contract.
The migration may, and probably will take longer than a several months, for some yes it's already happened, but it's a drawn out process.
I wouldn't worry about shifting energy suppliers if I was you, the situation is crackers and thankfully is slowly being sorted with introduction of smets2 and migration of Secure meters, but nothing should stop you, or make you think twice about moving supplier, that's just wrong.
The migration may, and probably will take longer than a several months, for some yes it's already happened, but it's a drawn out process.
I wouldn't worry about shifting energy suppliers if I was you, the situation is crackers and thankfully is slowly being sorted with introduction of smets2 and migration of Secure meters, but nothing should stop you, or make you think twice about moving supplier, that's just wrong.

I agree. We might as well go back to the old days with just British Gas if that was the case! Many thanks