Solved

Switching back to OVO Energy with your smart meter - will they get reactivated during my switch?

• 11 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Hi, I'm in the process of switching back to Ovo after a year with SSE(turned out cheaper & got a Meerkat Movies membership 😉). I actually still have Ovo's smart meters installed but the smart features were deactivated when I moved as they weren't compatible with SSE's system. Will they get reactivated in the course of the switch or will I need to do something to get them reactivated?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 13 September 2017, 10:50

Hey @Dave42 Great to see you signing up to join our forum and thanks for posting your question here!!

I have good news, once you complete your switch, we will be able to reactivate your smart meters!

This will happen automatically as our system will be able to identify your meter serials numbers and will know that they are our smart meters. Once you come on supply with us, they will be reactivated for you.

Hope that answers your question and I've included the link below so you can crack on with your switch back to us! Welcome back!

https://switch.ovoenergy.com/get-quote

Darran
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @Dave42 Great to see you signing up to join our forum and thanks for posting your question here!!

I have good news, once you complete your switch, we will be able to reactivate your smart meters!

This will happen automatically as our system will be able to identify your meter serials numbers and will know that they are our smart meters. Once you come on supply with us, they will be reactivated for you.

Hope that answers your question and I've included the link below so you can crack on with your switch back to us! Welcome back!

https://switch.ovoenergy.com/get-quote

Darran
I had an ovo account some time ago and still have the old smart meter - I have just switched back to ovo and am in the process of getting set up...can I use the old meter and if I can -how?
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Welcome to the forum @tlambert1766

I moved your question over here as someone else had already asked this!! Please see above, hope this helps.

We have loads of topics about Smart Meters and our latest tariffs, so have a look around and comment if you need anymore info.

We are very pleased to have you back with us! Welcome back!

Darran
will I have to give a reading in that case?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@tlambert1766

Yes you will be asked for opening meter readings. We need you to submit these so we know what reading to start your bill from.

Once the Smart Meters are reactivated, they should be set to automatically send them to us, so once this is done you won;t need to worry about it.

Hope that helps! When you get a chance, why not add a picture and update your profile! We look forward to seeing you getting involved in forum life!

Darran
Switches to OVO a couple of months ago, already have a smart meter, installed by Extra Energy, just before they went bust. How do I get OVO to use it?

Kevin
Userlevel 5
Take a look Darran's best answer for more information on what should've happened when you came back to us, @Kevs2000.

If you're talking about your IHD (the handheld device connected to your meter) you'll need to request a new one. We won't be able to connect an old device from a third party for security purposes.

Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter to get this sorted or send the team an email on hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hi

I was an OVO customer a year ago  & had a smart meter.  Now I’ve come back, just got switched on - but my old smart meter isn’t working - and yes! I have plugged it in!

Can anyone help?

Thanks Vicki

Userlevel 5

We had a similar topic on this so I’ve moved your query here, @Vicki Timms.  It sounds like the IHD just needs to be reconnected to the meters, you’ll need to call the team about this on 0330 303 5063 they’re available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Brilliant, thank you.