Pinned Solved

Switched from British Gas - will their Smart Meters work with OVO?

Userlevel 1
Hi, just changed over to ovo. My smart meters I currently have don't work anymore, so I can't provide transfer meter readings...

Any advice?

Cheers
Stu
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 13 October 2017, 13:00

Hi @Budgetbrian and @Kieran

Firstly welcome to OVO and our customer forum!

We have had a few questions on this already, so I have merged your new topics together to answer them in once place.

In short, your British Gas Smart Meters will not work when you switch to OVO. Very few Smart Meters are currently compatible which we know is not ideal.

However until the industry changes that, we can install OVO Smart Meters for free so you can continue to benefit from the automatic readings etc. You'll also get a new in home display (IHD) too to manage your energy.

Once you are on supply with OVO you will be able to book a Smart Meter installation.

Hope this help. Any other questions, please search the forum or post below.

Darran

Updated on 12/07/2019 by @Nancy_OVO: although we are installing SMETS2 meters in a number of regions now, it's likely that if you're switching to OVO with a British Gas smart meter, you'd still need to have it exchanged for an OVO meter as the upgrade on S1 meters hasn't taken place yet.
View original

45 replies

As per several comments in the forum I have changed from BG and been advised that the smart meter is not comparable with ovo
I have a few issues with this
When I had my BG meter installed it took 3 visits and the engineer failure had me requiring transco to attend to rectify an issue
As a lot of people switch at least every 3 years from this it looks like you have to swap meters as well as suppliers this seems stupid.
The government have advised that they want all houses on smart meters and the energy companies have allocated funds to change the meters
This cost must be recouped from our bills so this non compatibility issue must be costing the consumer a fortune if every time they change supplier they need to change there meter
This issue should have been resolved before the initial roll out
Regards
I have just switched to OVO from British Gas (BG) as the reviews on moneysavingexpert were good and it is cheaper than BG's new rates. BG had installed the latest smart gas and electricity meters last year along with a monitor that displays our usage along with a lot of other useful information.
OVO don't seem to be connected to these meters nor does the monitor work anymore.
Is OVO up to speed on any of this or have I made a massive mistake in going with a manual old fashioned supplier?
I even had to read the meter myself and send the readings to them online - at least they didn't ask for it by snail mail!
I have just joined ovo and i have an original british gas smart meter. Will it work with Ovo or will i have to get a new one fitted?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Budgetbrian and @Kieran

Firstly welcome to OVO and our customer forum!

We have had a few questions on this already, so I have merged your new topics together to answer them in once place.

In short, your British Gas Smart Meters will not work when you switch to OVO. Very few Smart Meters are currently compatible which we know is not ideal.

However until the industry changes that, we can install OVO Smart Meters for free so you can continue to benefit from the automatic readings etc. You'll also get a new in home display (IHD) too to manage your energy.

Once you are on supply with OVO you will be able to book a Smart Meter installation.

Hope this help. Any other questions, please search the forum or post below.

Darran

Updated on 12/07/2019 by @Nancy_OVO: although we are installing SMETS2 meters in a number of regions now, it's likely that if you're switching to OVO with a British Gas smart meter, you'd still need to have it exchanged for an OVO meter as the upgrade on S1 meters hasn't taken place yet.
Unbelievable! The metees we have are state of the art and still incompatible . What a waste of money for someone !
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I totally agree @Budgetbrian but I promise both OVO, along with other suppliers and the energy industry as a whole are working on it!!

It will definitely be a better situation once they are all compatible for sure 🙂.

As i mentioned, for now we can install new ones for free so look out for that once you are on supply. You can also book it through MyOVO once your account is set up.

Don't forget to add a picture and update you profile! Be great to have you involved in the forum.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Colin244

Yes we appreciate its frustrating, as I said above all suppliers and the energy industry are working on this. It sounds like you had a pretty frustrating experience with British Gas, that's not good.

I'd like to think your experience changing to OVO Smart Meters will go much more smoothly.

Be interesting to hear from others who may have experience similar frustrations when switching from other suppliers.

Darran
Hi, I've just joined OVO through MSE energy club. Just like my last supplier, I'm asked to have a SMART METER installed. Which I have always thought I will do. But I'm Getting more confused everytime I look at the customer comments.
My questions are 1 As I pay monthly a fixed price, Will this change dependent on meter readings.
2 Will I have to pay a fee for the use of the SMART METER?
Also looking at the comments it's looking like I will wait until the Next Level of meter S2 is ready to be installed.
Hi Darran, I didn’t have any problems with British Gas nor did I have problems with eOn the previous supplier both of whom install their own smart meters and now I’m going to apply for a third with Ovo because I’ve just switched . Account is set up and I am on MyOvo, Unfortunately I cannot see how to order new smart meter , there is no mention
Hi, guys.
I just added a reply to this question. But it seem's, I have put it in the wrong section, or you have misunderstood.
After reading the comment's I have asked.
1 as I am on a PAY MONTHLY will a SMART METER affect my Payment's.
2 Will I have to pay a FEE for using a SMART METER?
I also say that because of the problems some people seem to be having it look's like I will wait for the NEW improved S2 meter, which you seem to think are available by end of this month
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Budgetbrian Here is the link you need to book in your Smart Meter installation.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/products/smart-meters

@ALANJovo a Smart Meter will ensure that your usage is recorded correctly so your bill should always be accurate. We don't charge you for using a Smart Meter so you don't need to worry about that.

In regards to S1 and S2 meters, the entire energy industry is focused on making all Smart Meters more compatible, it's just not something that is possible right now. Anyone with an S1 meter should not have to replace them with S2 as the S1 should be able to be upgraded so that it has the same functionality, however that's the area that we need to get right and ensure doesn't cause any other issues hence why we, as are all other suppliers, are committed to working on this for the future.

So there is no reason to delay getting Smart Meters installed, you can still benefit right now in regards to getting more accurate, regular bills and you can keep up to update with what's happening in the industry on the S1 and S2 via our website or the forum.

Hope this helps.

Darran
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi, just changed over to ovo. My smart meters I currently have don't work anymore, so I can't provide transfer meter readings...

Any advice?

Cheers
Stu

Hey - I've moved your topic onto this thread as I think it will help.

Lucy
Recently moved from BG with a smart meter fitted 8 months ago. Now with OVO and it doesnt work, have to manually read. OVO have arranged to fit a smrt meter in Dec are they going to replace or try and use the BG one.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there, they will remove the BG ones and install their own. Crazy I know!
Switched from British Gas to Ovo in September with smart meters.

How can I connect my smart meters to OVO?
I'm in the same position - apparently British Gas' smart meters don't work with the OVO network.

The only option OVO provided is to 'wait' until they come to our area and have surplus meters to install!

So we have a smart meter but still provide monthly, manual readings. If I had known I'd probably have stuck with BG as although slightly more expensive, it all worked, we were saving by reducing energy, and had a good online graph showing instant impacts of our use!
BG were using the first generation Smart meters which stop working when you switch supplier as there is a mismatch with the technical switching infrastructure. I have been told that the second generation Smart meters and the switching infrastructure should work!....
Hey @Barista79 and @Steven

I've moved your discussion over to a topic that best answers your query.

If you need anymore help on this, just let me know.

Thanks,
Emily
Hi Emily_OVO

Thank you for switching this topic over. I have read most of the thread and have to say that the roll out of smart meters by the government has not been thought out clearly. Consumers today are unlike the past. They are going to switch suppliers much more frequently than they've done in the past. If they are going to be expected to change meters every time they switch suppliers, then the industry is going to incur a huge additional cost and will undoubtedly pass this on to the consumer.

For this reason, I will not ask OVO to change my smart meters. They were installed by BG just 3 months ago and have been working very well until I switched to OVO. I expect the government and the industry get their act together and fix the compatibility problem very soon. Who knows, I may switch back to BG or some other supplier when my contract expires with OVO.

What I don't want to do is to send monthly readings to OVO by email. You have my predicted consumption from BG and have set my monthly payments accordingly. I suggest readings should be sent quarterly, or you may send your own meter readers when you wish.

Kind regards
Barista79
Hi, please can you tell me when you will be installing SMETS 2 smart meters?
Hey @Barista79

Thanks for getting back to me. I do completely understand where you're coming from here.

I wanted to quickly mention that our new generation of SMETS2 smart meters will be rolled out in late 2018 - and these will be compatible with all suppliers.

Although we're currently offering SMETS1 smart meters to our customers (these aren't compatible with all suppliers) once we've begun our SMETS2 roll out, we'll be able to remotely upgrade all our existing SMETS1 meters - meaning these wouldn't need to be replaced (and would be compatible with any energy provider).

For the time being, I would be happy to put you on quarterly billing - if you'd prefer to provide us with quarterly readings. We do send out meter readers to all our customers' homes, but we're only really able to do this as regularly as twice a year - unless the customer is eligible for our Priority Services Register. Follow this link for more information: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-ovo/what-is-the-priority-register.html

If you'd like us to change your billing cycle, please send us a message on our Facebook or Twitter page.

Thanks,
Emily
Hey @PDixon

I've just moved your query over to an existing smart meter topic. In short, we'll be rolling out our SMETS2 smart meters in late 2018. Take a look at my above response for more information.

Cheers,
Emily
Thank you Emily_OVO. Appreciate clarifying the smart meter problem. I will be happy to switch to quarterly readings, but I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

I will wait until you roll out your compatible SMETS2 meters next year to save upgrading. What surprises me is why BG didn't think of that when they installed their smart meters, perhaps they felt confident that none of their clients would switch!!!

Cheers,
Barista79
Thank you Emily_OVO. Appreciate clarifying the smart meter problem. I will be happy to switch to quarterly readings, but I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

I will wait until you roll out your compatible SMETS2 meters next year to save upgrading. What surprises me is why BG didn't think of that when they installed their smart meters, perhaps they felt confident that none of their clients would switch!!!

Cheers,
Barista79

No worries, @Barista79

If you send the Care team an email to hello@ovoenergy.com, they'll get the quarterly billing sorted for you.

Thanks,

Emma
Hi,
I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas 2 years ago, on the display unit it says R1.
Is this the latest unit and can it be used with OVO?