Solved

Secure Liberty 100 meters (from First Utility) - are they compatible with OVO?

• 31 December 2018
  • 8 replies

My contract with Scottish Power is coming to an end and I'm looking at switching to Ovo or to first:utility (who are a bit cheaper). I have smart meters (Secure Liberty 100) installed by first:utility when I was with them previously. They are currently functioning as dumb meters.

Astonishingly, first:utility have advised me that if I switch to them, there is no way they can make my meters smart again (except replacing them).

Will the meters become smart again if I switch to Ovo?

Thank you
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 January 2019, 13:17

I have smart meters (Secure Liberty 100) installed by first:utility when I was with them previously.

They will work with OVO @tjfs - we fit the same meter type - Secure Liberty 100 and 110! 😎

I'm not sure why First Utility would need to replace the meter they fitted, maybe our on site expert @Transparent will be able to offer some info on this.

The smart meters we fit and use are compatible with the following suppliers:

Utilita Energy Limited
Co-operative Energy Ltd
First Utility Ltd
Electricity Plus Supply Ltd t/a The Utility Warehouse
Economy Energy
Toto Energy Limited
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy Supply Limited
Eversmart Energy Ltd
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy Limited
Ecotricity
Bristol Energy
Our Power Energy Supply Ltd
Octopus Energy
View original

8 replies

I already have a Smart Meter supplied by my previous supplier. Can OVO still make use of this.
Userlevel 4
I already have a Smart Meter supplied by my previous supplier. Can OVO still make use of this.

Take a look at Tim's bast answer, if one of these suppliers installed the meter we'll be able to communicate with it! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I have smart meters (Secure Liberty 100) installed by first:utility when I was with them previously.

They will work with OVO @tjfs - we fit the same meter type - Secure Liberty 100 and 110! 😎

I'm not sure why First Utility would need to replace the meter they fitted, maybe our on site expert @Transparent will be able to offer some info on this.

The smart meters we fit and use are compatible with the following suppliers:

Utilita Energy Limited
Co-operative Energy Ltd
First Utility Ltd
Electricity Plus Supply Ltd t/a The Utility Warehouse
Economy Energy
Toto Energy Limited
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy Supply Limited
Eversmart Energy Ltd
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy Limited
Ecotricity
Bristol Energy
Our Power Energy Supply Ltd
Octopus Energy
I am considering moving across from my current supplier to OVO, but only if OVO can onboard my smart meter (currently dormant).
The meter vendor is Secure Meters, model Liberty 100, fitted originally by First Utility.
I am assuming First Utility and OVO must both use Secure Meters as their SMSO.

If onboarding my meter is possible, then would OVO be able to provide a new Chameleon IHD as well? I am particularly interested in restoring the "smart" capabilities of my meter, and using a new IHD to keep an eye on energy usage.

Has someone successfully transitioned their Liberty 100 meter to OVO?

Many thanks,
Gustavo
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @gustavo I've moved your question here as I think Tim's answer above should answer your question.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Well, I'm as puzzled as you are @Tim_OVO .

When a customer with a Smart Meter transfers to another Supplier, the meter gets updated with the new tariff information. This is purely so that it can be displayed correctly in the house IHD.

But there seems no point in actually replacing hardware which is perfectly functional and has a compatible version of the SMETS1 software installed.

If I were in your position, @tjfs I would now be moving to the Supplier who makes the clearest commitment to upgrade your existing Smart Meter to the latest SMETS2 software. This should happen within the next 12 months, and provides additional functionality, besides giving you inter-compatibility between all Suppliers for future switching.

Please ask if you'd like further clarification of this.
I have a smart meter in the house I just moved into I dont know from which company can ovo connect to this meter or do I have to have meter from ovo if so does that mean this house is just gonna start a collection of energy meters from different suppliers
Userlevel 4
I have a smart meter in the house I just moved into I dont know from which company can ovo connect to this meter or do I have to have meter from ovo if so does that mean this house is just gonna start a collection of energy meters from different suppliers

It sounds like you're talking about the In Home Display (IHD), @Menz78, that't he handheld device connected to the meters.

Here's a list of suppliers who can communicate with our meters, as long as yours is working fine - you can continue to use it! 🙂