Solved

Returning customer with OVO Smart Meters - will they work?

• 4 February 2018
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
I was an OVO customer a couple of years ago and they installed my smart meters. I then switched away to other suppliers. I am now in the process of switching back to OVO. Will my smart meters now work again for automated meter readings as other suppliers could not use them.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 6 February 2018, 18:20

View original

13 replies

@Abreaders I did exactly the same as you and moved back into OVO at the start of October 17. I just let OVO customer services know that I already had one of their old smart meters and my smart meter was working from day 1 for automated readings and the enhanced stats in My OVO.
They haven't managed to get the right info into the IHD though so it still thinks I am on the Standard Variable tariff. Means all the estimated figures on the IHD are wrong, but My OVO gives the correct information.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for that. I will let them know.
Userlevel 5

Updated on 27/08/21 by Jess_OVO

Great to hear about your switch back to OVO! If you haven’t already checked it out, we’ve got a great guide on what to expect with the switching process. 

Important question to ask about the implications of switching with one of our smart meters already installed. Sounds like you have one of our SMETS 1 Secure meters installed - these meters weren’t originally able to communicate with all suppliers (check out which suppliers they’re definitely compatible with here) which explains why you’ve had to provide manual readings since you left us (for advice on how to do this - check out this relevant topic).

The good news is that, as you’re switching back to us, your smart meter should start sending us the readings remotely once more. Even better - all SMETS 1 meters are currently being upgraded to allow them to communicate to all suppliers in future - like SMETS 2 meters do. Read more about this remote upgrade process and when you can expect this to take place here.

Once you’ve received your opening statement you should begin seeing your smart meter usage data on the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) as well as on your In-Home Display (IHD). If you’ve no longer got a compatible IHD, reach out to our Support Team for a replacement.

And most importantly - Welcome back!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

I switched from Ovo to Scottish Power last year for a better deal, but regretted it as had all sorts of admin problems, and the Ovo smart meter didn't work with SP.
I'm thinking of switching back to Ovo, despite it being a bit more expensive. Will my original Ovo smart meter start working again?
Userlevel 5
That will be fine @PMGJo! Looking forward to having you back on board with us. 🆒

Lucy
Did exactly the same. Scottish Power were awful. Customer service was next to useless. Now back with OVO
I have a smart meter installed by OVO, changed supplier but not meter, and now I'm back. Can OVO still read my meter? I've also lost the IHD. Can I get a replacement?
Hi...they should be able to connect to your meters straight away and feed the data into your bills and onto your online account.In terms of the IHD, we can amend the information on it if you get in touch with us. Just drop us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB.
Userlevel 7
I have a smart meter installed by OVO, changed supplier but not meter, and now I'm back. Can OVO still read my meter? I've also lost the IHD. Can I get a replacement?

Have a look at this thread @jondoh - those meters will still work!

I am returning to OVO, the last time i was with OVO i had smart meters installed. can these be utilised now I am returning?

Userlevel 5

Hey @Nichols2828 - I’ve moved your post over here. More info above :point_up_2_tone2::nerd:

I had  Smart meters fitted by OVO a few years ago.

I have just transferred back to OVO from another supplier.

Why can't I read the meters via the in home display?

Why can't OVO read them automatically?

I wish I never agreed to have smart meters fitted. As manually reading them is very difficult and the ability to move to other suppliers is limited.

Why can't I have them updated to include new functionality / compatability

We were all told we would not be disadvantaged by having the original smart meters fitted.

Userlevel 5

Hi @Ajd,

I’ve moved your post onto this thread discussing the same thing.

If you’ve moved back to us and we’ve not been able to connect to your meters, it might be worth reaching out the the team on Facebook to look into this. Just send them a PM with your account number (or address and post code), full name and DoB.

Thanks