Solved

Is the OVO smart meter compatible with other suppliers?

• 3 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Is the OVO smart meter compatible with other suppliers ?
I have booked a smart meter installation for next week. I have emailed OVO twice with this question but no reply.
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 4 January 2019, 11:50

This is a very good question @soozy

OVO fit Secure smart meters, which work with a load of other suppliers. See this topic which lists them all 🙂

Updated 25/2/2020

View original

9 replies

Thanks for this information. It is useful

Userlevel 5
Badge

Sorry to hear you’ve switched, @wrongsideof40, I’ve popped your post here as there is some handy info above.

If EDF are able to take readings they may need to re-pair the IHD to get it linked to their system, I’d recommend giving them a call.

Hope this helps!

Hi - I recently (summer 2019) had a Smart Meter installed by OVO, who assured me it would contine to work if I changed supplier. My contract came to an end and I moved to edf, as Ovo couldn’t match the deal. The smart meter is sending reading to the new supplier. However, the in-house display just says ‘Waiting for current date’. I’ve switched it off and on again, in the time-honoured fashion, but no joy. ANy ideas? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Here’s the topic you want, @Brian Scott :sunglasses:

Will the smart meter work if I change suppliers?

Hi all, I just want to pass on my annoyance at so called " smart meters" . I look after bills for a friend who is 93, I regularly change suppliers to find a cheaper tariff and he's had 2 different meters fitted because the one that was in was not compatible with the new supplier. Now I have recently changed to a new supplier from ovo and the meters are not compatible, so he will have had his meters changed 3 times in just over 3 years.

Is it really too much to ask to fit a meter that all suppliers use? This is taking up too much of my life, whoever come up with the idea of SMART METERS should be ashamed.

Userlevel 5
Badge
Great to hear you're thinking about joining us, @calvinorr, please see @ITGeek123's link in the above best answer, for the answer to your query.

Hope this helps!
Want to be sure before I switch to OVO - had smart metres fitted last week - fitted by Eon and have been told they should allow me to switch to other providers - but want to check that I can seemlessly switch to OVO
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This is a very good question @soozy

OVO fit Secure smart meters, which work with a load of other suppliers. See this topic which lists them all 🙂

Updated 25/2/2020