Solved

I have no phone signal - Can I still get smart meters installed?

I am unable to have a smart meter installed due to no phone signal at my property? Has anyone else has this issue as i thought by 2020 we all have to have them
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 30 April 2017, 18:04

I am unable to have a smart meter installed due to no phone signal at my property? Has anyone else has this issue as i thought by 2020 we all have to have them

Hi Lars167

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you've not been able to get smart meters fitted at your property.

From what you've said I can only speculate that the current smart meter technology used by OVO can't communicate to the network from your property.

Between now and 2020 all energy companies will be developing and improving the smart meter technology (the industry is currently debating how to standardise the technology), I would assume that with these developments they will ensure the technology works in all properties.

My advise would be to regularly check in with OVO care team to review the options for installing smart meters at your property.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time! I do hope you get smart meters soon though. It would be great to know if any other forum members have had similar issues getting a meter installed.

UPDATED 5/07/19 SMETS2 meters the new generation smart meter are now being rolled out across the UK. Check to see if they'll be better suited to your home here.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Lars167

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you've not been able to get smart meters fitted at your property.

From what you've said I can only speculate that the current smart meter technology used by OVO can't communicate to the network from your property.

Between now and 2020 all energy companies will be developing and improving the smart meter technology (the industry is currently debating how to standardise the technology), I would assume that with these developments they will ensure the technology works in all properties.

My advise would be to regularly check in with OVO care team to review the options for installing smart meters at your property.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time! I do hope you get smart meters soon though. It would be great to know if any other forum members have had similar issues getting a meter installed.

UPDATED 5/07/19 SMETS2 meters the new generation smart meter are now being rolled out across the UK. Check to see if they'll be better suited to your home here.
Thank you so much for your reply. When i changed suppliers and entered into a contract with ovo it was too have smart meters installed, which was said by the person who called. Then i find out it had to have a phone signal. I just think people are being miss lead.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Thank you so much for your reply. When i changed suppliers and entered into a contract with ovo it was too have smart meters installed, which was said by the person who called. Then i find out it had to have a phone signal. I just think people are being miss lead.

Hi Lars167

Thank you for posting back. Before I point you in the right direction: has an engineer been and checked your property to see whether they can install the meters or not? My neighbour had a similar issue but when the engineer came out it transpired they could actually fit the smart meters.

If the answer to the above is no: I suggest contacting OVO and asking them to schedule an appointment for an engineer to do a site inspection to see whether or not you can actually have the smart meters.

If the answer to the above is yes, and you find another supplier that can fit smart meters to your property, my recommendation if you chose & want to is switch suppliers (it would be a shame to see you leave the OVO family). Please do let us know what the score is and how you get on.

If all else fails - i would advise dropping one of the moderators a private message so they can look into it further for you.
I dont get a mobile signal at home, does this mean I can't have a smart meter?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I dont get a mobile signal at home, does this mean I can't have a smart meter?

Hi @wovit1 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I hope you'll agree with me here, I think this topic is already answered for you here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-as-you-go-20/i-have-no-phone-signal-can-i-still-get-smart-meters-installed-254/index1.html

Hope this helps
Thank you for your help
I believe the smart meters use the mobile phone network. Which network providor does OVO use? The reson for asking is in my partners area only EE is useable. So if the smart meter does not use EE then it will not work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I believe the smart meters use the mobile phone network. Which network providor does OVO use? The reson for asking is in my partners area only EE is useable. So if the smart meter does not use EE then it will not work.

Hi @Swift_Nick

The good news is our smart meters will latch onto the network with the best strength. So as long as one mobile network works in you area, we're all good!

Just a quick one to let you know that I've moved your query over to another topic on the same thing.

Tim
We live in a small village in north Wales that has almost non-existent mobile phone coverage. When we had a guy come to read our meter recently (on behalf of OVO) he told me that a smart meter would not work in our area and in fact they simply make it harder to get a meter reading. Is that right? I hardly know what to do!
We live in a small village in north Wales that has almost non-existent mobile phone coverage. When we had a guy come to read our meter recently (on behalf of OVO) he told me that a smart meter would not work in our area and in fact they simply make it harder to get a meter reading. Is that right? I hardly know what to do!

Hey @Pastorblue

If you've got very bad phone signal at home then I wouldn't suggest getting smart meters installed as it won't be very beneficial for you. We won't be able to communicate with the meters meaning you'll need to provide readings.

It's not too difficult to read the smart meters - you just need to press number 9 on the keypads of them. The electricity reading will then show after 'IMP' in kWh's and the gas reading will show after 'VOLUME' in m3.

Thanks,
Emma