Solved

How will SMETS1 meters be updated when SMETS2 is rolled out?

Show first post

55 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @TWSaab, sorry about the radio silence, there is no further update currently, as soon as there is we’ll update here! 

See this.

The upgrade process is clearly flawed. DCC and Ebico have failed in their duty to correctly implement the switch. 

My meter time registers were reversed. I am potentially being billed for £500 extra. 

It could cost me anything from £300 to £1650 of lost solar export payments over the remaining 15 years of FITs. 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Apial - I’m not sure what you mean about the time registers being reversed? Do you mean the night was clocking during the day and vice versa? If so, it shouldn’t be too difficult to recalculate the bills based on the correct day and night unit rates. Please give us a ring (0330 303 5063), or send us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB and we can look into this for you.

Yes that’s right. But OVO only handle my Solar panel FITs payments. The supply  problem is between Eon and Ebico. 

Ive emailed the FITs team and I’m waiting for their reply. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the clarifications @Apial

Nancy is still correct in asserting that these issues can be readily resolved. However many Energy Suppliers are involved, there is still only one central database which holds your meter data. For electricity, that database is ECOES

For the sake of others who come across this Topic at a later date, may I just explain the way in which the strategy has evolved for handling differing tariffs at the same site:-

We used to require two separate meters, where one registered the standard electricity usage. The other one was attached to a time-clock and fed devices like storage-radiators on an Economy-7 tariff.

That progressed to a situation where a single digital meter could record both standard and E-7 uses. Those still required manual reading however.

The current Smart Meters (both SMETS1 and SMETS2) have software control for 4 or 5 different tariffs which can be recorded separately. In addition they have an Export Tariff register for electricity sent back to the National Grid.

Currently we don’t use much of the multi-tariff capability of Smart Meters, but that’s about to change.

Another Supplier, Octopus, already offer a variable tariff at different times of the day. Soon this will become possible through all UK-based Suppliers.

The regional Distributed Network Operators have put together a DUoS tariff (Distributed Use of System) which has three bands of charges labelled Red, Amber and Green. This will enable customers to choose when to use electricity with all three pricing structures held within the Smart Meter.