Solved

How can you determine if you can have a smart meter exchange before booking it?

• 24 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
.... if I can have a smart meter(s) before actually wasting time booking an appointment, just to be disappointed my current meter is too far away?

I've just joined OVO this month. Been on a waiting list for years with my previous supplier.

My gas meter is outside my door, whereas, my electric meter is in the main communal building, well over 30 metres away.

Although, getting a smart meter doesn't mean cheaper bills as research found..... Plus, as I'm physically disabled, I find it difficult reading my meters, although I am on your PSR (quarterly readings), I would like to be up to date with my readings.

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 28 August 2018, 15:39

Hi @PalsyP. Interesting question... :?

With two Smart Meters, the electricity one is the "master unit" and the gas meter sends data to it.

There's no reason why both meters have to be changed to Smart Meters, especially if you can still read the nearer gas meter manually.

However, OVO also offer (free) mains-powered Zigbee relays which can be placed between the two meters and amplify the signal onwards. It all rather depends what is actually in the 30m gap you mention.
View original

7 replies

Badge
Bump
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @PalsyP. Interesting question... :?

With two Smart Meters, the electricity one is the "master unit" and the gas meter sends data to it.

There's no reason why both meters have to be changed to Smart Meters, especially if you can still read the nearer gas meter manually.

However, OVO also offer (free) mains-powered Zigbee relays which can be placed between the two meters and amplify the signal onwards. It all rather depends what is actually in the 30m gap you mention.
Badge
Between the 2 meters is a flat (walls)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Well that's good news @PalsyP. So I'll assume that a Zigbee Relay can be placed in that flat somewhere and plug into the mains electricity... and that means it can amplify the signal from your gas meter to ensure it reaches the electricity meter.

It will also allow the electricity meter to return data to the IHD in your flat.

You can find more about the Smart Relay here, where you'll see it costs just £1 /year to run :)

You'll need the agreement of the flat owner... and a £1 coin!
Badge
It's 2018, surely technology isn't that crap that you'd need a boost of signal....... I'm not asking my neighbour if I can plug a poxy device in, I probably get told to eff off.

Not my fault that this building was designed it the way it was (i.e communal meter area) - I agree, it's crap, especially for a "disabled friendly" flat, where you need to walk 30 metres to get to a meter....

Good luck to the government getting smart meters in every home in two years
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Sorry to hear that @PalsyP.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate living in an area of rural Devon where we all know our neighbours well. I often talk to strangers in the street too... I can spot a tourist (aka a Grockle) a full furlong away! If they're visiting from a large city it can give them a (pleasant) surprise to have someone take an interest :)

Yeah... I agree the design of your building sounds "sub-optimal". We definitely need more disabled input at the planning stage!

The reason there has to signal boost is because a Smart Gas Meter uses a small Li-ion battery to run the embedded controller. It takes quite a lot of power to run the Zigbee communications link to send this data to the electricity meter. So Zigbee isn't kept permanently live, and has restricted transmitting power. The battery needs to last 10+ years.

It may be 2018, but unfortunately all our technology is still constrained by the laws of physics. 😛
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @PalsyP - just a quick reminder of our House Rules for the Forum.

Thanks