Solved

Changing supplier with the first generation of smart meters - bad move?

There has been media reports of problems with the first generation of smart meters if the customer changes supplier. There are cases of stored information not being transferred to the new supplier. As I understand it, there is a second generation of meters that resolves this problem, and my question is will my smart meter being installed on 16th June is one of these.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 May 2017, 13:12

There has been media reports of problems with the first generation of smart meters if the customer changes supplier. There are cases of stored information not being transferred to the new supplier. As I understand it, there is a second generation of meters that resolves this problem, and my question is will my smart meter being installed on 16th June is one of these.

@sherwood48 yes @Mattj3135 knows! 🆒 Check out the chat on that other topic (here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smet2-106 ) for the latest on these different generation of smart meters. In short, we're still fitting the first generation of smart metes as we're still in the testing phase for these latest versions.

However, changing supplier with the first generation of smart meter works perfectly if you switch to a supplier that uses the same type. Best to ask them directly to confirm either way. If they (or we) don't use the same type, you can either get them replaced again, or keep them fitted, losing some of those smart functionalities.

Tim
View original

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @sherwood48 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

There's already another forum topic covering this which you may want to check out 🙂 https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smet2-106

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@sherwood48 yes @Mattj3135 knows! 🆒 Check out the chat on that other topic (here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smet2-106 ) for the latest on these different generation of smart meters. In short, we're still fitting the first generation of smart metes as we're still in the testing phase for these latest versions.

However, changing supplier with the first generation of smart meter works perfectly if you switch to a supplier that uses the same type. Best to ask them directly to confirm either way. If they (or we) don't use the same type, you can either get them replaced again, or keep them fitted, losing some of those smart functionalities.

Tim
I already have a smart meter installed by previous supplier ( British Gas). Do I need an OVO one or what do I do? I must say the fact I keep getting emails asking me to book an installation and yet no opportunity to tell you I already have one is most frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I already have a smart meter installed by previous supplier ( British Gas). Do I need an OVO one or what do I do? I must say the fact I keep getting emails asking me to book an installation and yet no opportunity to tell you I already have one is most frustrating.

Hi @rorion

I've moved your query to another topic on this very question. Check out my best answer (at the top).

If you wanted these emails about getting our smart meters stopped, feel free to PM me your account number, name and DoB.

Thanks,
Tim
I moved to Ovo a few months ago from BG. Before BG I had a smart meter fitted by Eon that lost all it's smart functionality when moving to BG (apart from tracking the usage). Since moving to Ovo it is still tracking my usage and now seems to be providing readings to Ovo. However, the cost tracking isn't working as the tariff costs on the meter are different to my real tariff costs.

So is there a potential solution to this? I'm guessing I'd need a Smets2 meter to solve this and I've signed up for the trial. But I must say I'm hugely disappointed in the industry and suppliers not having a clear uniform standard and supporting tech to make Smart work as it was intended. I really don't want another Smet1 meter that will never work if I change supplier (as has been the case for me).
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I moved to Ovo a few months ago from BG. Before BG I had a smart meter fitted by Eon that lost all it's smart functionality when moving to BG (apart from tracking the usage). Since moving to Ovo it is still tracking my usage and now seems to be providing readings to Ovo. However, the cost tracking isn't working as the tariff costs on the meter are different to my real tariff costs.

So is there a potential solution to this? I'm guessing I'd need a Smets2 meter to solve this and I've signed up for the trial. But I must say I'm hugely disappointed in the industry and suppliers not having a clear uniform standard and supporting tech to make Smart work as it was intended. I really don't want another Smet1 meter that will never work if I change supplier (as has been the case for me).

Hey topsybird,

If we’re able to communicate with your meter, this is a good start! If the rates don't match up though, this is something that our customer care team will be able to help with. Please reach out to them either via email, phone, Facebook or Twitter and they'll be happy to help get this updated.

Lucy

Hi OVO, 

I had smart meters installed for both Gas and Electric on 10/01/19.  I was putting this off because I had heard there were issues with the early generation smart meters.  When I spoke to the OVO customer agent they guaranteed me that the issues around switching providers had been resolved and I would be able to switch to any other provider in the future and continue to use the smart meter functionality.  

It turns out this is not the case.  I have recently switched to EDF because OVO decided to put their prices up for me (still unclear why).  During the switching process I received this email from EDF: 

You may already be aware there’s an industry-wide compatibility issue with certain smart meters (known as SMETs 1 meters). This means when customers change energy supplier, some find they lose some smart meter functionality. Unfortunately, we can now confirm that your meter is one of those impacted.

I am now extremely frustrated by this as I can no longer benefit from smart meters and will have to go back to taking meter readings manually.  

I feel I have been lied to by the OVO customer service agent, probably so they could make their quota on getting people onto smart meters.  

EDF will not change the smart meter to one that is compatible and so I am now stuck.  

What is OVO going to do about this for me?  I want to get a resolution to this issue asap and have my smart meter functionality restored or I will take this up with Ofgem clearly stating how I was mislead and lied to by a OVO customer service agent.

I find this behaviour completely unacceptable from a company that prides itself on quality customer service and trying to be above bad practices of other providers.

Please provide a considered response to my issue.

Regards

Oli

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@oliwynn I think the ststement “ I would be able to switch to any other provider in the future and continue to use the smart meter functionality.” is actually correct, the important phrase being “in the future”

The intention is that SMETS1 meters will be upgraded using a software update but this is in the future.

Having moved suppliers, OVO no longer have a responsibility for your meter, if EDF won’t change your meter I suggest you leave them and go to a supplier where the meter will work in a SMART fashion.  I personally moved To Octopus from OVO and my meter manufactured by “Secure” works fine, it should also work with Utilita, First Utility, OVO, E.ON and Bristol Energy which makes me thing your meter isn’t a “Secure” brand, perhaps you can confirm this?

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m really sorry you feel mislead, @oliwynn, there is a remote software update that will make all smart meters compatible across industry, more info here.

Hopefully this will be soon, @PeterR1947, is also correct, we no longer hold your supply, meaning we can’t touch your meter. It’s a shame to hear EDF won’t install a compatible smart meter for you. 

You can find information on our complaints procedure here.

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m leaving OVO shortly (it’s a long story) but I’m needing to know what information to give Octopus (new supplier) about my SMART meter. I.E. do they need to know the make and model number or something else? Obviously at this stage I don’t know if my meter is compatible with Octopus so any advice would be helpful thanks ;)

My understanding is you will need to give manual readings, in any case I would read your meter regularly til all sorted, as an insurance for yourself, in my opinion smart meters are fine while everything is working, after waiting 8months and counting, for resolution I am not a fan of smart meters or ovo, sadly I'm locked into a 2 year contract, :(

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry

Thanks for the feedback. I meant to update this post as I’ve found the answer I was looking for on the Octopus website. My meters will work as SMART meters :)

Here’s what it says:-

What happens if I have a smart meter?
We use smart meters made by the company Secure. Secure also supply meters to Utilita, First Utility, OVO, E.ON and Bristol Energy - so if you have a smart meter from them, and it's a 'Secure' meter, it will work. (A different brand of meter from them unfortunately won't.);

If it's not a Secure meter, it won't be compatible, and will become "dumb" – that is, it will work just like a normal meter. You'll lose the "smart" benefits, so will have to give us meter readings manually, and your In-Home Display might not work.

Octopus have an interesting read here for anyone interested

Smart meters: what they are, and why you should get one

Personally speaking I’m also locked into a 2 Year Contract but even if I pay the exit fees I’m still going to save a considerable sum, food for thought perhaps if you’re not happy with OVO.

I haven't heard of octopus, but £60 Is a lot to loose, I'm hoping ovo will pull their socks up, else I'm off to ofgem, how they got the which customer service award I don't know:(

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry 

Yes £60 is a lot to lose but given that Octopus will save me £110 over the next 12 months compared to my exisiting OVO contract it’s a no brainer! I also get £50 cash  back when I join for being reommended. All Octopus customers are given a special code so they can recommend them to their friends and relatives, so you can earn money from each recommendation. I think OVO do something similar. I joined OVO originally because of the Which? customer service award but that was 5 years ago and OVO haven’t won another one since. Octopus do have a Which Best Energy Provider award which is why I chose them. I could have saved £225 by going with EON but wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

@Merryharry

Yes £60 is a lot to lose but given that Octopus will save me £110 over the next 12 months compared to my exisiting OVO contract it’s a no brainer! I also get £50 cash  back when I join for being reommended. All Octopus customers are given a special code so they can recommend them to their friends and relatives, so you can earn money from each recommendation. I think OVO do something similar. I joined OVO originally because of the Which? customer service award but that was 5 years ago and OVO haven’t won another one since. Octopus do have a Which Best Energy Provider award which is why I chose them. I could have saved £225 by going with EON but wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

I'm thinking about it, I just worry about the smart meter, having had so much trouble with it if it's fixed I'll stay put for now, if not I'm definately walking :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry 

Did you look on the front of your meters for the ‘Secure’ Logo? Octopus use the exact same meters as OVO so you shouldn’t experience any problems. I think some of the issues surrounding SMART meters is that there are basically two types ‘SMETS1’ which the majority of people are using up until March 2019 and ‘SMETS2’ which is a newer type which is still being rolled out cautiously and is still in the testing phase. 

It’s quite likely your meter is the SMETS1 type, the same as mine so it will work, apparently :) If you go through the quote procdure on Octopus it gives the following information if you already own a SMART meter:

If your smart meter is a SecureTM one (hint: there'll be a Secure logo on the front of the meter), we can link to it and make it smart again - just contact us once you've switched.

Octopus also do a variable (non fixed) tariff if that’s what you prefer, it’s called ‘Flexible Octopus’. I just did my quote again based on my annual statement figures and the flexible option works out £1.50 more than the 12 month fixed rate.

Get a quote here: https://octopus.energy/

@Merryharry

Did you look on the front of your meters for the ‘Secure’ Logo? Octopus use the exact same meters as OVO so you shouldn’t experience any problems. I think some of the issues surrounding SMART meters is that there are basically two types ‘SMETS1’ which the majority of people are using up until March 2019 and ‘SMETS2’ which is a newer type which is still being rolled out cautiously and is still in the testing phase. 

It’s quite likely your meter is the SMETS1 type, the same as mine so it will work, apparently :) If you go through the quote procdure on Octopus it gives the following information if you already own a SMART meter:

If your smart meter is a SecureTM one (hint: there'll be a Secure logo on the front of the meter), we can link to it and make it smart again - just contact us once you've switched.

Octopus also do a variable (non fixed) tariff if that’s what you prefer, it’s called ‘Flexible Octopus’. I just did my quote again based on my annual statement figures and the flexible option works out £1.50 more than the 12 month fixed rate.

Get a quote here: https://octopus.energy/

Yes the same :) but if its not talking to one company will it talk to another? Then as ovo haven't got the info despite me giving it to them, will they cock up on my final bill? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I can’t answer that but perhaps if you’re having those kind of problems with OVO perhaps you should involve the Ombudsman?

Taking regualr manual readings yourself is a good idea, I see you mentioned this early in this post. I’ve finally had enough of OVO today and just switched :) If you decide to bite the bullet and leave let me know, I can let you have a £50 referral link to use yourself. We will both get £50 reward if you join :)

I can’t answer that but perhaps if you’re having those kind of problems with OVO perhaps you should involve the Ombudsman?

Taking regualr manual readings yourself is a good idea, I see you mentioned this early in this post. I’ve finally had enough of OVO today and just switched :) If you decide to bite the bullet and leave let me know, I can let you have a £50 referral link to use yourself. We will both get £50 reward if you join :)

Spoke to ovo today again!!!! As having thought things were getting sorted, they sent out a statement for a pathetic amount, and before the actual statement date of the 21st which I'd been told I would get, then checking why this had happened discovered my usage was completely wiped out for gas and electric, anyway to cut a long story short, I said I'd seen many of their customers had gone to octopus, and guess what? He actually encouraged me to do the same! He said but don't leave til everything's sorted else you'll take the problem with you. He has opened up a complaint and once sorted I can go to complaints and get the leaving fee cancelled :) So octopus here I come. However when I looked at their site there is already someone who gets the £50and I get £50 as well, are our names just picked out randomly, to get money? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Merryharry ,

Strange that OVO would encourage you to go to Octopus, but with that said it would be illegal if they said you can’t go. I can’t begin to understand the problems you’re currently having but I’m not surprised, all of my own problems have been with billing too.

Hopefully they won’t drag out your complaint too long, Octopus might change their rates again before you join. Mind you you can still get other comparisons elsewhere if you’re still wanting to leave.

One thing I forgot to mention about Octopus and which is very useful to know, they don’t charge ‘Exit Fees’ with any of their contracts. Shame OVO doesn’t do away with theirs too! I’m having to pay £60 now I’m leaving OVO but I think they should be paying that to me as compensation for receiving such a bad service from them.

Regarding the £50 referral scheme, all Octopus customers are given a referral link once they sign up. You can share it amongst friends or on your social media accounts. Once you do become a member you can start referring other people and earning £50 for every person who signs up.

If you want to earn an extra £50 when you join you could use my referral link, that way we both get £50 :relaxed: Join without it and you won’t get £50 until you refer someone.

My sister gave me a referral link so we both got £50 when I joined.

I’ll send you my referral link in a private message, click on your username (top right of this webpage) and choose ‘Private Messages’, you’ll find my link in a message from me.

All the best :wink:  

Hi, just to keep you updated, I still can't leave yet, they now have cocked up my billing:( the drama goes from one thing to the next, I was told its wrong from September 2018!! And I've been billed twice, I'm not sure it's wrong that far back, but that's what I was told! :( so as much as I want to leave I'm not sure if it will confuse things further. Octopus have quoted a saving of £200 a year!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry 

That doesn’t surprise me one little bit! OVO regularly make cock-ups on billing, that’s why Ofgem investigated them in 2017. Sadly it seems they didn’t learn their lesson, there are still plenty of customers complaining about issues even now.

I should know, now they’ve screwed-up my annual statment too and now say the figures are wrong. Believe it or not OVO claim our annual statments are based on estimated and actual usage!! So anoyone who fell for that line about “put an end to estimated readings” when they signed up for a SMART meter was mislead.

Happy to say I’m now an Octopus customer as of today so OVO can take pride in knowing they did a good job, Joke!! :joy:

Did you leave before your problem was sorted? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry 

Yes, more or less! I raised an official complaint during the week just 4 days before leaving. I have had a response though not very helpful. They did confirm my annual statment was wrong but have failed to offer me a solution or a revised statement. I’m still pushing for that. 

OVO have also made a rather insulting offer of compensation, they offered me £15 !!!!!!!! Needless to say I’ve refused to accept that offer. It’s laughable really, they’re quick to say sorry but their offer of £15 sums up just how sorry they really are!

If you’re not happy with the cock-up with your own billing I’d recommend sending them an email headed ‘Complaint’. OVO should not be allowed to continue getting away with something they’ve already been investigated for. I doubt the Ombudsman would be very happy to know they’re still letting customers down.

By the way, it took just 17 days for my switch to take place with Octopus so pretty quick really :)

If you do decide to switch don’t forget to use the referral code I sent you in a private message, we’ll both get £50 if you become a customer of theirs.

Please can you send the link again, I can't find it :( and just to confirm, cause of something else I read from octopus they can use the smart meter straight away?