Solved

Can OVO read my PV smart meter?

• 29 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi I have a PV smart meter made by GEO installed that works via the internet, can OVO use this to read my quarterly PV meter readings? Many thanks Peter
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 9 August 2018, 11:31

Hmm I thought that I would of had some kind of answer even if its plain no, disappointed with OVO's lack of response.

Morning Peter,

Welcome to OVO Forum! 🙂 Unfortunately, I am unable to provide the answer to this as I do not have solar panels installed at my home. I would say if you need a definite answer and require it asap. I would recommend you call OVO or search the forum to see if your question has already been answered.

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/can-anyone-help-with-a-question-about-my-smart-meter-and-pvs-1720

Hopefully that helps you.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Hmm I thought that I would of had some kind of answer even if its plain no, disappointed with OVO's lack of response.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Morning Peter,

Welcome to OVO Forum! 🙂 Unfortunately, I am unable to provide the answer to this as I do not have solar panels installed at my home. I would say if you need a definite answer and require it asap. I would recommend you call OVO or search the forum to see if your question has already been answered.

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/can-anyone-help-with-a-question-about-my-smart-meter-and-pvs-1720

Hopefully that helps you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Although it might be technically possible for OVO to remotely interrogate a meter across the internet, @Llamedospete, I can't see why they would want to do so.

OVO's only regulatory requirement is to take readings from SMETS Smart Meters, and these use an encrypted pathway via the mobile phone network and an independent organisation called DCC. This is the only mechanism approved by Ofgem. The system is designed to prevent malicious infiltration by 3rd-parties.

What are you wanting to achieve from accessing the PV readings?

Do you already have a Smart Meter installed?