Solved

Can OVO communicate with my existing SMETS2 Landis & Gyr E470 smart meter?

• 28 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello

I have moved into a new flat in a block of around 30. When I went to read my electricity meter I discovered it in a large cabinet with ~30 others - and realised that it is an SMETS2 meter. To be specific, it’s a Landis & Gyr E470 (Type 5394) which suggests it should be accessible by any electricity provider… including OVO.

Can OVO read this meter remotely? If so, what information do I need to provide to OVO? I am in the late stages of the switching process and am being asked for a manual meter reading - I can’t see any option to supply smart meter details.

Am I missing something? Do I need to contact customer services (this seems to be frowned up or made extremely difficult!).

icon

Best answer by Transparent 29 June 2020, 16:26

Updated on the 01/07/20: OVO can communicate with SMETS2 meters, including this Landis & Gyr E470 smart meter. Please see below for info on being a new customer with this smart meter (we need your opening meter readings submitted manually for example). 

It would be very odd if OVO didn’t quickly discover you have a Smart Meter@guycuthbert . They get this information from the national meter databases: that’s ECOES for electricity and Xoserve for gas.

And it would be quite normal to provide a manual reading to a new Energy Supplier, even if you have a Smart Meter. Until the switch is almost completed, the Supplier won’t be getting readings. So they would expect to use the last reading provided by your predecessor.

Since you presumably don’t want to rely on the outgoing reading being correct, it’s good practice to provide your reading for the time/date that you became liable for the costs.

In case of any disputes, ECOES will have the historic readings from previous owners. So they have established formulae to determine what the true reading is most likely to be.

It’s quite a neat system, and also acts to guard against various frauds too.

The full switch process takes about 5 weeks. There are statutory delays built in. The largest of these is the 14-day “cooling off period” which you have because it’s mandatory for all financial contracts in the UK.

View original

4 replies

Looks like your in the same boat as me.

Short answer: They should be able to but they have issues with a lot of L&G meters (juding by the forums)

Long answer:

Signed up a few months ago, both SMETS2 gas & electric meters.

Electric transfer over fine, gas went to manual readings, thought it was strange.

Contacted support (and went around in circles doing the constant checks)

Got an email asking how satisfied I was with support request, marked it as disastisfied and finally got a real person to call me.

Didn’t help much as then got told I don’t have a SMETS2 gas meter (surprise suprise I do, Landis + Gyr, G470 672E061122 61, combined SMETS1 and SMETS2 meter)

Later got told they didn’t realise these meters are SMETS2 as they don’t have the serial prefix in their system, would have to pass over to dev team to investigate and fix the issue.

Asked about follow up comms and ETA for it being resolved and basically got told “You won’t get any, they might or might not fix it”

Suprise suprise a month later, no change. Having to send manual readings for gas.

Left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing between customer service and the development team.

Edit: For what it’s worth my L+G E470 5424 transfered over fine (electric meter)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @guycuthbert and welcome to the Forum.

There are two issues which define your meter as being fully SMETS2:

• the SMETS2 firmware running in your meter(s)
  • that the meter(s) are connected to the National Smart Meter Network

The National Smart Meter Network is run by the Data Communications Company (DCC). All Energy Suppliers pass their SMETS Commands and Data via DCC and thus need no knowledge of what type of meter hardware is on your site.

The SMETS2 system is generic. It avoids passing data across proprietary networks, which was the case with SMETS1 devices. That’s why you can freely switch between Suppliers.

@leonsmith - thanks, sounds like I might get lucky on an automatic switchover?

@Transparent - thanks for the comprehensive technical summary.

Sorry if I’m being thick here but I’m still not sure whether I need to tell OVO that I have a smart meter…. or wait for them to discover it themselves?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on the 01/07/20: OVO can communicate with SMETS2 meters, including this Landis & Gyr E470 smart meter. Please see below for info on being a new customer with this smart meter (we need your opening meter readings submitted manually for example). 

It would be very odd if OVO didn’t quickly discover you have a Smart Meter@guycuthbert . They get this information from the national meter databases: that’s ECOES for electricity and Xoserve for gas.

And it would be quite normal to provide a manual reading to a new Energy Supplier, even if you have a Smart Meter. Until the switch is almost completed, the Supplier won’t be getting readings. So they would expect to use the last reading provided by your predecessor.

Since you presumably don’t want to rely on the outgoing reading being correct, it’s good practice to provide your reading for the time/date that you became liable for the costs.

In case of any disputes, ECOES will have the historic readings from previous owners. So they have established formulae to determine what the true reading is most likely to be.

It’s quite a neat system, and also acts to guard against various frauds too.

The full switch process takes about 5 weeks. There are statutory delays built in. The largest of these is the 14-day “cooling off period” which you have because it’s mandatory for all financial contracts in the UK.