Solved

Can I switch from OVO to Lumo if I have OVO smart meters?

• 8 February 2019
  • 14 replies

I have OVO pay monthly smart meters installed. If I switch to Lumo will my existing meters work or will I need to go to the hassle of getting new ones? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 February 2019, 14:53

I have OVO pay monthly smart meters installed. If I switch to Lumo will my existing meters work or will I need to go to the hassle of getting new ones? Thanks.

Great question this, @Icklecazza

Lumo only accept customers that have non smart meters, so I don't think you'll be eligible to switch to them.

More info on Lumo's help page here!
View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great question this, @Icklecazza

Lumo only accept customers that have non smart meters, so I don't think you'll be eligible to switch to them.

I’m on a fixed 2 year plan. My statement says I could save money if I changed to :-Our cheapest overall gas tariff
Lumo Energy Online Fixed
You could save: £151.55***

can I do this & how?

many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 5
Take a look at the best answer for more help with this, @Phil1old. If you're on a fixed tariff, you would be charged exit fees if you switch before the end date.
On all my Ovo statements I am told that I could save about £30 a month by switching to the Lumia App Only Tariff. However I am also told that I can only have this tariff if I do not have a smart meter and agree to have one installed. As I already have a smart meter I am therefore not eligible and I do not understand why this rule exists. Please could you explain?
Userlevel 5
Badge

I have OVO pay monthly smart meters installed. If I switch to Lumo will my existing meters work or will I need to go to the hassle of getting new ones? Thanks.Great question this, @Icklecazza

I've popped you post here, @AlanB, you'll find handy info. @Tim_OVO's link should answer your question.

Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge

I have OVO pay monthly smart meters installed. If I switch to Lumo will my existing meters work or will I need to go to the hassle of getting new ones? Thanks.Great question this, @Icklecazza

I've popped you post here, @AlanB, you'll find handy info. @Tim_OVO's link should answer your question.

Thanks!
So just to share my experience of OVO recently... We are coming to the end of our fixed term contract so I looked at my statement which advertised cheaper tariffs for both gas and electricity on 'our Lumo tariff'. I rung OVO who informed me that Lumo are a sister company and they cannot switch me to them.

I was then told that I would not qualify for Lumo as I have a smart meter (installed at OVO's request). I questioned why I was being told about a cheaper tariff that I was not eligible for. OVO's Twitter account told me they were obliged by OFGEM to notify customers of tariffs available to them that are cheaper. But of course, this tariff IS NOT available to me (or any other OVO customer with a smart meter!).

Anyway, eventually after complaining about the way in which my call was dealt with and the misleading information on the statement, OVO gave me £50 as a goodwill gesture. This put my account at £125 in credit.

Today I switched to another company and requested that OVO refund me my credit balance as my next two payments will more than cover my usage. Unsurprisingly I was met with the 'it's company policy that we keep a month in advance of your money'... so I am now in a new dispute to get back my money.

I am fairly confident if I owed OVO £125, they would pursue me for it far more rigorously.

I also have to say that with the exception of the complaints manager, none of the advisors I have spoken to over the last two days have appeared knowledgeable, empathetic or even polite.

Overall, I'm very pleased to be leaving to a cheaper tariff (with Scottish Power) and I was very concerned to see OVO are currently being investigated by OFGEM currently for their practices two years ago.

Stay with them at your own risk...
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @renegade78, I'm really sorry to hear about your poor experience.

I've moved your post here, please check out @Tim_OVO's best answer for more details on Lumo and switching to them.

Final refunds are issued automatically by OVO within 10 working days of your final statements.

It can take up to 6 weeks from your switching date, before we send this final statements. This is because your new supplier is getting the official change over readings checked and approved. More info on this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/leaving-ovo

If your feel the credit on the account will cover your usage, please feel free to cancel your Direct Debit we'll take final payment from the credit.

You've mentioned £50 goodwill has been added to your account, it sounds like you have accepted this as a resolution to your complaint.

Thanks for your feedback!
What you mean is you’ve moved my post in order to bury it!

This forum is really designed for propaganda and manipulation of customers’ posts.

I note how you don’t address the false advertising involved in promoting a tariff on statements that customers are not eligible for.

Don’t worry though. I have reported it to the ASA to investigate 😊

Ovo-joyed to help!
Userlevel 5
Badge
As I mentioned, @renegade78, I moved your post here as it addresses the first point in your initial post, I was trying to provide you with some insight. We're here to help customers find information they may need. We welcome customers sharing experiences good or bad, we can only build and improve if we get feedback.

It's under OFGEM instruction that we detail all plans that may have a potential saving to our customers. I appreciate that these offers of alternative tariffs are not tailored based on the customers meter type and it is something I will ensure is feedback.

Thanks!
OFGEM guidance clearly states : "Your bill must include personalised information about your supplier’s cheapest tariff and how much you could save. The bill will also give you estimated costs for the next year."

You have just publicly admitted that the advertised tariff is not personalised and so OVO is therefore clearly in breach of the OFGEM instructions to which you refer.

The link to this is here https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/save-money-your-gas-and-electricity-bills

I hope that helps others.

OVO-joyed to highlight how OVO lie to customers and attempt to manipulate information for their own benefit 🙂
So I had an invitation to renew today and I noticed that all tariff options were considerably dearer that the current one. I read the invitation to renew letter and noticed that there was a LUMO tariff which would actually save me £119.92 but it states a precondition would be that I don't already have a smart meter, which I do, OVO installed it. Its the same smart meter that haunted me through my last term with a supplier other than OVO. (Lets just say that supplier wasn't very Economic!!!).
So this 1st gen Not So Smart Meter is basically a hinderence and now I find that as well as it limiting me to a select few suppliers its installation is also going to preexempt me from taking advantage of the Lumo App tariff.
So can OVO please take my 1st Gen meter out so i can either qualify for the LUMO deal or shop around for a cheaper supplier and still 100% be able to use a SMART METER function on my account which I need as I travel a lot and am usually away from the meter.???
Userlevel 5
I've moved your question over here, @Jamie, take a look at the best answer for more info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @renegade78

As @Amy_OVO pointed out, simply trying to help here. As Lumo is part of the OVO Group, this means that we HAVE to show a cheaper tariff we as a group have, even if it's not available to you, its part of our licensing agreement. We are working with OFGEM to try and change this as you are right, its not ideal at all, especially if you are not able to switch to it.

Trust me, we're as frustrated about this as you and wish we could exclude it, but we just can't at this point until the industry make changes to allow us to do this.

Hopefully you'll be able to fix in with OVO to get the best prices for the next 12 -24 months.

Darran