Solved

British Gas Smart Meters - Can OVO connect to them?

• 13 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Are British Gas smart meters compatible with Ovo? I have recently switched.
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 14 January 2019, 11:48

Hello @Energycat

Unfortunately not, My smart meters were originally installed when I bought my house. As soon as I moved over to OVO, I arranged an engineer to change the smart meters.

You can also arrange an available engineer in your area by clicking here: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

Let us know how you get on 😃
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello @Energycat

Unfortunately not, My smart meters were originally installed when I bought my house. As soon as I moved over to OVO, I arranged an engineer to change the smart meters.

You can also arrange an available engineer in your area by clicking here: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

Let us know how you get on 😃
Many thanks. I’ll do that.
Stated in the recent Which magazine about smart meters. Ovo can now use British Gas smart meters as smart data providers........?Will this help with switching over as this avoids ovo meters being fitted if this is the case? Just wondering if this is now likely as it used to be replace meters being very wasteful..........? I'm going through the 6 weeks transfer of data transition so just wondering where this could leave me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Stated in the recent Which magazine about smart meters. Ovo can now use British Gas smart meters as smart data providers........?

Hey @CarlG

We won't be able to connect to BG smart meters until the SMETS2 upgrade comes into effect for SMETS1 designs. That's some way off I believe.

@Energycat did you hear anything similar?
Now that OVO are installing SMETS2 meters does it mean that OVO can now do something to connect to my existing British Gas Smart meter?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @PeterC66,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid it doesn't mean that, but the good news is when the remote update happens (we're not sure when this will be) this will make all smart meters compatible across industry.

Thanks!