Solved

Would I have to swap BG smart meters for OVO smart meters now that SMETS2 has launched?

• 14 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Do I have to swap out my BG Electric and Gas SMETS1 smart meters for OVO smart meters after SMETS2 is in common use?

I have tried to do this once, but the OVO fitters were unable to swap to their meters as they needed me to get (and pay for) an electrician to move the earthing cable from the gas piping. Something they were apparently unable to do.

However once SMETS2 is in common use my BG meters should only need a SMETS1 to SMETS2 software upgrade. Will this be possible? It obviously means far less work for OVO?

Dave
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 July 2019, 16:59

Hi @dcoles31,

Our engineers aren't insured to carry out work on the electrics of your property (only the meter itself), of which the earth bonding would be part. Find out more about this here.

While we have been installing SMETS2 meters in some areas, the 'universal platform' (the DCC) to which all generations of smart meter will be connected, is not fully operational, and SMETS1 meters haven't been connected. This means that for now, some first generation meters will still be incompatible with other suppliers that don't use the same meter type. Eventually, they will all be connected to the DCC, but we can't advise when this might happen just yet.

Hope this helps!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @dcoles31,

Our engineers aren't insured to carry out work on the electrics of your property (only the meter itself), of which the earth bonding would be part. Find out more about this here.

While we have been installing SMETS2 meters in some areas, the 'universal platform' (the DCC) to which all generations of smart meter will be connected, is not fully operational, and SMETS1 meters haven't been connected. This means that for now, some first generation meters will still be incompatible with other suppliers that don't use the same meter type. Eventually, they will all be connected to the DCC, but we can't advise when this might happen just yet.

Hope this helps!