Solved

Will I get 2nd generation smart meters if I book an exchange?

• 16 November 2018
  • 7 replies

I've been offered £30 incentive to have smart meter installed for gas and electricity provided I book it in by 2nd Dec 2018. I would like to know if it will be a SMETS2 (2nd generation) or only the older 1st generation SMETS1?
Anyone out there know the anwer please?
Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Transparent 16 November 2018, 20:45

Hah! That's a more difficult question than you might imagine, @anthonyw1.

You'll need to get one of the Moderators to check this for you, like @Tim_OVO or @Eva_OVO. Although OVO has a number of engineers now trained to install SMETS2 meters, they work in teams within geographical areas. So it depends where you are in the country. Check the booking platform here: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit because if there are any of those appointments available, that's where they'll show.

You can click on one of their names, and send a direct Private Message from their profile page if you wish. But remember, not all Moderators are on duty simultaneously and they can't see each others Private Messages of course.

And, please fill out some of the fields in your Forum User-Profile. One of them allows you to define where you live. It doesn't need to be especially accurate. Mine just says "Rural Devon". But it will help the Moderators when they come to answer the question.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hah! That's a more difficult question than you might imagine, @anthonyw1.

You'll need to get one of the Moderators to check this for you, like @Tim_OVO or @Eva_OVO. Although OVO has a number of engineers now trained to install SMETS2 meters, they work in teams within geographical areas. So it depends where you are in the country. Check the booking platform here: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit because if there are any of those appointments available, that's where they'll show.

You can click on one of their names, and send a direct Private Message from their profile page if you wish. But remember, not all Moderators are on duty simultaneously and they can't see each others Private Messages of course.

And, please fill out some of the fields in your Forum User-Profile. One of them allows you to define where you live. It doesn't need to be especially accurate. Mine just says "Rural Devon". But it will help the Moderators when they come to answer the question.
Hey - many thanks for the advice - I have updated my user profile and contacted the Moderators.
Watch this space!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @anthonyw1 - It's worth mentioning that SMETS2 exchanges are only taking place in a small number of areas at the moment. If you've messaged one of us, we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help check this!
I was told that the only way to find out was to email the moderator privately which I did. The reponse as follows was disappointing :

"As we are still in the early stages of the SMETS2 we are not able to provide you with a time of when they would be available but
we would let you know if they become available in your area."
Hi, thought I would share my recent experience.

I also saw the £30 incentive to have a smart meter installed, and arranged one for Dec 13th with OVO, thinking that as that was after the 5th Dec SMETS1 cut off date, I would be assured a SMETS2 meter.

i dropped OVO customer service and email to confirm it would be a SMETS2 I would receive, only to be informed it was booked as a SMETS1.

Upon querying this being after the last cutoff for SMETS1 meters, OVO said they have been given permission to carry on installing SMETS1 into 2019.

This isn’t something that is being advertised, so I think people here should be made aware that it looks like a long wait for smets2 still.

i live in central London for what it is worth, can’t comment if this is nationwide.

cheers
thanks for your comment - very interesting - I live in south west london and have now been told for sure: NO SMETS2 availability in my area...however OVO latest eamail response says the following:

"Just to let you know, our SMETS1 meters will be getting upgraded remotely during 2019, meaning that all benefits of SMETS2 will be present in the current meters we offer. Therefore, should you wish to have a smart meter, the initial version may be agreeable for you"

Has anyone heard of this, a remote upgrade from SMETS1 to SMETS2 during 2019...is it really technically possible????
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes @anthonyw1 In fact it was announced by @Nancy_OVO on this other Topic about 3 months ago. You might find the discussion which follows quite interesting.

The main issue to consider when undertaking a remote-upgrade is what happens if the sequence fails?!

Safety alone suggests that it should fail-safe and hence shut off the supply. I would hope that OVO & Secure can arrange to undertake the upgrades within known geographical regions. That way, they could have enough engineers standing by to attend on-site if the meter closes down.