Solved

Why can't the engineer test the signal strength before fitting smart meter?

• 22 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I was very disappointed with OVO when I had a smart meter installed and that they did not test the strength of the wireless signal it uses.

When I complained that as its not working and after trying various proccedures etc etc still nothing.

When I asked the meter be removed I was told once its in its in! I Decided I was Not accepting that as the signal clearly was the issue.

I contacted my local MP and after explaining what had happened my MP acted very quickly and arranged directly with OVO’s High Level Customer Complaints Team to get someone out to test and do their checks and then 2 weeks after I complained the Smart Meter was changed for a non smart meter and since then I have had no more wireless or mobile signal problems. Even when another part of the OVO family sent me a letter saying that they couldn't see my smart meter, again I had to call them and asked them to read my notes and complained. They finally admitted defeat and apologised for the inconvenience.

So if OVO say they cannot remove the smart meters and you are having signal problems complain to your MP and you will be surprised how quickly the meter will be changed?!

icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 28 March 2018, 14:42

When it comes to signal strength, it’s really tricky for us to predict this. Unfortunately, we’re not able to tell a customer whether their smart meter will communicate with us or not until the smart meters have been installed and we’ve put it to the test. We can advise customers to complete checks (like checking their phone 3G/signal near their meter) but we’ll never be able to say for sure.

We don’t usually have any reason to suspect that they won’t work as not having strong signal isn’t all that common. But in these instances, we offered ‘relay’ devices which boost signal, so there are solutions we could have explored.

Lucy

Updated 05/05/2020 - relay devices are nolonger offered for SMETS1/S1 smart meters

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

When it comes to signal strength, it’s really tricky for us to predict this. Unfortunately, we’re not able to tell a customer whether their smart meter will communicate with us or not until the smart meters have been installed and we’ve put it to the test. We can advise customers to complete checks (like checking their phone 3G/signal near their meter) but we’ll never be able to say for sure.

We don’t usually have any reason to suspect that they won’t work as not having strong signal isn’t all that common. But in these instances, we offered ‘relay’ devices which boost signal, so there are solutions we could have explored.

Lucy

Updated 05/05/2020 - relay devices are nolonger offered for SMETS1/S1 smart meters

This is an interesting read as I had a smart meter fitted about 2 years ago and all was fine now I’ve noticed my bills are being estimated.  I’m shocked that I had to notice this myself after 2 months of estimated bills and that the billing department did not flag it up that there was no signal from my smart meter.  Funny how OVO are very quick and persistent in contacting me to try to raise my monthly direct debit even though I am in credit that they are earning interest on and are over estimating my gas every month and now my electric also. Now I have contacted them they say that the meter has lost signal and there is nothing they can do but try to install a newer model of smart meter.  Now after reading the website for those meters have lost signal they can fit an antenae?

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hey @Lipstar123

I’m afraid the above thread is now out of date. We are no longer supplying aerials for first generation smart meters, our team have given your the correct advice. 

Thanks!