Solved

When will my SMETS1 meter be upgraded so it functions like a SMETS2 meter to enable me to access an EV tariff with another supplier?

• 16 March 2020
  • 6 replies

I have just purchased two electric vehicles.  However, having a SMETS1 meter limits me on getting the best tariffs. Other suppliers will not update me and refer me to OVO as the current supplier and meter installer.  OVO say I am not a priority and will not give me a date for either a change or upgrade.  Me in the middle, am stuck paying high tarfis.  The question is when will this be resolved.  Saying it will happen “Soon” is meaningless.  Can someone give me a date, can I not have a SMETS 2…. Help please

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 19 March 2020, 15:54

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey @bakdraft007, thanks for getting involved in the forum!

In this instance, I’d recommend giving the team a call on 0330 303 5063 and discussing this with them. It’s quite a unique situation, as having a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter doesn’t change anything in most cases. They’re available 8am - 6pm Monday - Friday.

Thanks,

Ed

I will call again, but I already called them and they said they would not do anything now as the are awaiting the upgrade of the SMET1 meters ( but could not give a date) and as mine was working saw no reason to change me to a SMET2.

The SMET1 will not report readings every half hour to other suppliers as it acts like a dumb meter.  This means I am forced to pay higher tariffs for the overnight lower charges designed for electric vehicles.  All it would take is for someone in OVO to recognize that I have  a real problem and help me.  Its not like everyone needs to charge their electric vehicles as there aren’t many of us.

It seems there is nobody in OVO who can say, I see his point, give him a SMET2 or upgrade his SMET1 now…

I will let you know what happens… but I will bet they will not do anything

Userlevel 5

The upgrade hasn’t been released so we can't give you a date for when this will happen, @bakdraft007, and at the moment we’re not exchanging SMETS1 meters. 

Your tariff would be the same regardless of whether you’ve got a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter, are you thinking of going to an Economy7 tariff so you have a day and night rate? This can be done quite easily with a SMETS1 meter just contact the team to change this.

Thanks for your reply but you are missing the point.  You assume I want to stay with OVO.  Now of course I am happy with the OVO service BUT Scottish power are offering 4.7p per unit for electric cars… OVO cannot compete, so I should be able to switch supplier, but I cannot as I need a SMETS2 but they will not change me, you will not change me and you will not upgrade me, leaving me the customer having to pay more for electricity than I should and there is nothing I can do about it.

As always in these situations its the customers who are the loosers.

If I did not have a smart meter you or they would happily give me a SMET2, but for reasons not of my choice (I never asked for a smart meter) I got a SMET1 and am forced to pay higher prices for that decision

Userlevel 5

Updated on 23/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great to hear about your new Electric Vehicles (EVs):red_car:

Understandably you’re looking to get the best EV plan to suit your charging needs (quick shout out here to our very own OVO Drive Plan and Anytime add-on which might fit the bill).

If you’re looking to switch suppliers with one of our Secure Liberty S1 meters installed there’s a chance it could lose it’s smart functionality if the new supplier doesn’t communicate with this type of SMETS 1 meter (here’s a handy list of the suppliers that do) - however as all SMETS 1 meters are currently being upgraded to allow them to communicate with all suppliers, this shouldn’t be an issue for much longer. All Secure S1 meters are scheduled for this upgrade by March 2022 - read more about this here.

In the mean time having an S1 meter shouldn’t prevent you switching suppliers, although you may need to supply meter readings manually until your meters are upgraded - we’ve got a great guide to this here.

Hope this helps get your wheels moving! :blue_car:  

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

@bakdraft007  Have you tried Octopus Energy? They have two tariffs that might be of interest for EV users and might be able to help.  They can supply SMETS1 meters That are “smart” (as well as SMETS2 ones).