Solved

Smart meter signal intermittent - can you send an engineer but not from Lowri Beck?

I seem to have lost ALL usage information as from 00:30 on the 2nd June. Up until that point, I had been getting weekly and monthly information, but this was usually a day behind. I have not seen any "live" daily information for some time.

I completed your standard meter health check and was told that my meter needs attention by your engineers.

I do live in a low mobile signal area, but my meter's WAN light is flashing 3 times (does this mean that the meter is getting a medium strength signal?).

I already have an aerial connected to my meter as this issue started shortly after the meter was installed approximately 3 years ago. However, when your engineers revisited to fit the aerial, although it was connected to the meter, it was just left coiled up within the meter cabinet!

I have reported my smart meter problems on numerous occasions and I'm now getting rather fed up as you can imagine.

I would like to know whether you are still using Lowri Beck for your meter installs (I seem to recall from a previous thread that you are now using Siemens). I do not want a Lowri Beck engineer to come anywhere near my meter.

If you are thinking of sending out a Lowri Beck engineer, then I will gladly leave Ovo Energy and rid you of this problem customer.

I do hope you treat my comments seriously

Thanks

Andy Clarke
icon

Best answer by Transparent 8 June 2018, 11:35

Good morning @AndyClarke373,

Firstly, OVO have had to stop live-usage data from Smart Meters for the indefinite future. See this thread where the decision is discussed in detail.

The default position is therefore that you will see usage data one day in arrears when you log into My OVO. If this causes you a problem, note that OVO have offered to release those customers from contract without the Exit-Fees being applied.

The WAN light flashing on a Liberty Electricity Smart Meter is good. It can do so up to 5 times, followed by a 1-second pause. If the light was static or off then there is a communications problem.

The lack of data arriving at OVO since 2nd June is of concern however. There are three links in the chain:
  • Smart Meter
  • Data Communications Company
  • OVO themselves

Since you've spoken to OVO Customer Services, they will have checked the data feed from DCC. So I'm inclined to believe their analysis that the fault lies within your meter.

I can understand that you now wish to move to an alternative Supplier, however, doing so with a meter that is already known to be faulty could place you in a tricky situation. At the moment you have a clear contract with OVO and you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced the oft-quoted Sale of Goods Act last year. OVO have a legal obligation to provide you with a Smart Meter which is "fit for purpose".

Whether you will be sent a LB Engineer depends on what Meter Contracts OVO has implemented in your particular geographical area. Increasingly they are training their own engineers instead of using 3rd Parties.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @AndyClarke373,

I've read through what you've written and I need to check a couple of technical things before replying. Please bear with me in the meantime.

Incidentally, on the OVO Forum you're not writing to OVO themselves. The Forum is where ordinary members of the public help each other out, using our own expertise. It isn't necessary to be an OVO customer to respond to Topics in the Forum. Some Forum members work within the Energy Industries, so you can get some particularly useful answers by posting questions here!

As I'm a fellow customer, I don't have access to any of your (confidential) account information. I normally pick up what I need by reading your Forum Profile. However, you haven't yet put any details there. Could you do so please?

And in any case, can you say whether your question relates solely to your electricity meter, or do you also have a gas Smart Meter? Thanks.

I'll be back here again tomorrow to tell you what I can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Good morning @AndyClarke373,

Firstly, OVO have had to stop live-usage data from Smart Meters for the indefinite future. See this thread where the decision is discussed in detail.

The default position is therefore that you will see usage data one day in arrears when you log into My OVO. If this causes you a problem, note that OVO have offered to release those customers from contract without the Exit-Fees being applied.

The WAN light flashing on a Liberty Electricity Smart Meter is good. It can do so up to 5 times, followed by a 1-second pause. If the light was static or off then there is a communications problem.

The lack of data arriving at OVO since 2nd June is of concern however. There are three links in the chain:
  • Smart Meter
  • Data Communications Company
  • OVO themselves

Since you've spoken to OVO Customer Services, they will have checked the data feed from DCC. So I'm inclined to believe their analysis that the fault lies within your meter.

I can understand that you now wish to move to an alternative Supplier, however, doing so with a meter that is already known to be faulty could place you in a tricky situation. At the moment you have a clear contract with OVO and you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced the oft-quoted Sale of Goods Act last year. OVO have a legal obligation to provide you with a Smart Meter which is "fit for purpose".

Whether you will be sent a LB Engineer depends on what Meter Contracts OVO has implemented in your particular geographical area. Increasingly they are training their own engineers instead of using 3rd Parties.
Thanks for your reply, that really is very helpful.

Since I raised this issue with Ovo, it seems to be working normally again.

I wonder if they (or DCC) have managed to sort out this issue remotely.

Thanks again