Solved

Smart meter can't be fitted due to meter tails - why?

• 17 May 2017
  • 8 replies

I have twice scheduled a smart meter install with Ovo. The first time the engineer told my wife our "tails were too short" and the meter was not installed. My call to customer support did not resolve the issue.

Another install was later scheduled but the engineer failed to turn up. I recall I was offered £20 compensation.

I just want a smart meter ... thoughts?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 May 2017, 12:40

I have twice scheduled a smart meter install with Ovo. The first time the engineer told my wife our "tails were too short" and the meter was not installed. My call to customer support did not resolve the issue.

Another install was later scheduled but the engineer failed to turn up. I recall I was offered £20 compensation.

Hi @chris_b

Thanks for reaching out on the OVO Forum. I've tweaked the title of this topic to make it more specific, and maybe other users with the same issue can get help by reading the comments.

Meter tails being too short isn't enough to go on, so the best way to find out how we can fit you a smart meter is to send out an engineer to do a quick site visit. This is free, and they will advise you what's wrong and how to sort it. They might even be able to do it there and then. Once this is done, we can rebook your smart meter fitting appointment. So we can agree on a date and time that works for you, I'd suggest calling the Care team directly: http://ovoener.gy/contact.

As for that missed appointment, if you weren't given at least 24 hours notice of the engineer not arriving, you should've been awarded the £30 missed appointment compensation. If you haven't, I'd raise this with the agent when you call up!

All the best with this,
Tim
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @chris_b

Thanks for reaching out on the OVO Forum. I've tweaked the title of this topic to make it more specific, and maybe other users with the same issue can get help by reading the comments.

Meter tails being too short isn't enough to go on, so the best way to find out how we can fit you a smart meter is to send out an engineer to do a quick site visit. This is free, and they will advise you what's wrong and how to sort it. They might even be able to do it there and then. Once this is done, we can rebook your smart meter fitting appointment. So we can agree on a date and time that works for you, I'd suggest calling the Care team directly: http://ovoener.gy/contact.

As for that missed appointment, if you weren't given at least 24 hours notice of the engineer not arriving, you should've been awarded the £30 missed appointment compensation. If you haven't, I'd raise this with the agent when you call up!

All the best with this,
Tim
Hi,
I had a smart meter install arranged for last year but it could not continue due to my power supply needing altering due to some technical earth bonding thing:?
It was duly sorted earlier this year but so far I have not heard of an alternative install date.
Any idea as to what I need to do?
Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi,
I had a smart meter install arranged for last year but it could not continue due to my power supply needing altering due to some technical earth bonding thing:?
It was duly sorted earlier this year but so far I have not heard of an alternative install date.
Any idea as to what I need to do?
Thanks.

Sorry you haven’t heard anything from us. It might be because there aren’t currently any appointments available in your area. To double check, please take a look at our customer booking platform here: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

Lucy
Sorry you haven’t heard anything from us. It might be because there aren’t currently any appointments available in your area. To double check, please take a look at our customer booking platform here: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

Lucy

Hi and thanks for the reply.
I checked that platform and its locked on the original installation date of September last year.
There is no clickable option to rearrange so do I need to phone?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I checked that platform and its locked on the original installation date of September last year.

Hi @StuBob if you click on @Lucy_OVO and send a private message with your name, address, ovo account number and date of birth - Lucy can manually check this out and liaise with you over private message about booking this.

Sorry to hear the computer isn't allowing you to book at this time

Have a lovely weekend
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Lucy

Hi @StuBob

I've noticed another topic on a similar issue, and I've moved your query so that it's all in the same place. Have a look at the best answer. The best course of action for you is very similar - as superuser @Mattj3135 mentioned, a PM with some account info is best so we can check with the engineer what's what. I'll send you this now.

Thanks,
Tim
Difficulty fitting smart meters to my property with my last supplier
why? any more details?