Smart meter availability for Pay monthly

Show first post

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Gren,

I think this is just an unfortunate coincidence. Toto is another rival Energy Supplier. I suspect this installation engineer has simply gone to an incorrect address. Somewhere near you there'll be a frustrated Toto customer on the telephone demanding to know where his Smart Meter is!

OVO would definitely be contacting you in advance to arrange a meter installation date once you'd requested that it be provided.

Since you've given us your Switch-date to OVO, please note that you'll need to provide your meter readings to OVO around that date (give or take a day or two). It is the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to handle the switch process. You don't need to contact your old Supplier.

OVO will upload your reading(s) to the National Database (ECOES) who will send a Notification to your old Supplier that it's there. They then have a narrow window of opportunity to raise any objection. Unless your reading is wildly outside their reasonable estimate, an objection is highly unlikely.

A fortnight later your old Supplier will send you your Final Bill. Check that it correctly shows the meter readings you gave to OVO before paying it.

If you need any further clarifications, please ask.
Thank you for the reply. I did some research and they are known for some under-handed practices.

Yes, I believe it's the 11th April for the first meter reading.

Hopefully the switch will be painless!
Hi, how do we go about making an appointment to get a smart meter installed?
I signed up with Ovo 7 months ago. One of the reasons was wanting a smart meter which I requested straight away. 7 months later still waiting and zero contact regarding it. Is this usual?
I have been an OVO customer for over a year now and would like to know when I may expect to receive upgrades to my not so Smart Readers that were fitted in 2011? (It sometimes has its disadvantages being an early adopter.)
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Peter Worcester,

I've moved your topic over here where you can find more information about how to book a smart meter exchange. It sounds like you've got old-style smart meters with which we can't communicate. If so, the process for getting them exchanged is the same as for anyone with traditional meters.

Thanks
Hi Thanks for the response. Who do I contact to arrange the move to the new smart meters? Can you arrange this?
I've had a number of calls from OvO trying to book in a smart meter installation (something which I am very keen for) but sadly it's never resulted in an appointment booking. They take my account details and run through security measures etc, but once they get to the actual booking stage they find out that there is no availability in central Bristol. They are just as shocked as I am normally.

I'm wondering if this is actually the case or if there is a specific bug with my address or something (it's a new build). Has anyone else had the same issue?

I'd really like to get a smart meter ASAP so any input is appreciated.
Userlevel 5
Hi Thanks for the response. Who do I contact to arrange the move to the new smart meters? Can you arrange this?

Sorry we missed this, @Peter Worcester, you can arrange an appointment here.

I've had a number of calls from OvO trying to book in a smart meter installation (something which I am very keen for) but sadly it's never resulted in an appointment booking. They take my account details and run through security measures etc, but once they get to the actual booking stage they find out that there is no availability in central Bristol. They are just as shocked as I am normally.

I'm wondering if this is actually the case or if there is a specific bug with my address or something (it's a new build). Has anyone else had the same issue?

I'd really like to get a smart meter ASAP so any input is appreciated.

That does seem strange, @Joebo. In some areas we've stopped installing S1 meters so we can get S2 meters installed. It could be that we're currently unable to install S2 meters in your home due to the current meter set up.

I can't say for sure that this is the case, but we can check this for you. Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter so we can check or email hello@ovoenergy.com.
Joined Ovo almost a year ago and everytime I go to book a smart meter I ALWAYS get the following message..Good news, our meters will work in your property HOWEVER we are experiencing high demand in your area. Anyone else had this constant message for almost a year?

Phoned the customer support but they were not very helpful and just said try again every monday as that's when the apps are scheduled hahahaha
Userlevel 5
I've moved your query over here, @mcabney81. Appointments are based on engineer availability, it sounds like this is quite limited in your area so appointments get booked up quite quickly.

I understand this is quite frustrating, we're always hiring and training new engineers to cover areas where there's less appointments.

The team are right, our booking platform is updated weekly however you don't need to keep checking this. The website will capture your details and our Smart team will contact you directly to book the appointment when there's one available.
I joined ovo 6 months ago. Each month when I get my request for meter readings it says smart meters are available and I request an appointment. Yet I never get any response. How do I get an appointment? The property is a holiday cottage in a remote bit of north wales (post code Ll49 9te). I’d just like to know whether a smart meter is ever going to be available.
Userlevel 5
It sounds like we don't have any available appointments in that area, @Mulletty. If you're checking our website for appointments, your details will be captured and we'll be in touch when we're able to install smart meters.
Will there ever be smart meter appointments in the Ll49 area.? Are there some areas that you do not provide smart meters for?

Also my property is very remote so is one of two properties that are supplied by a distribution transformer. Can smart meters work through transformers? Or do they need an internet connection?
Userlevel 6
Badge
We have some very very limited coverage, @Mulletty. If you DM me your account number I can check more specifically.