Smart meter availability for Pay monthly

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We’ve seen quite a few of you getting in touch recently about smart meter availability in your area, so we thought we’d create a topic so you can post your thoughts and queries in the comments below!

If you’re a Pay monthly customer and you’d like to book in for a smart appointment, feel free to visit our customer booking platform here: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

To find out more about the perks of having a smart meter, and how they can benefit you, check out our OVO answers article here.

40 replies

When I joined OVO I was advised that they provide smart meters in all areas on-demand.
All I had to do was join and call up to book my appointment.
Let me tell you I called all of the big energy suppliers and none of them offered this.
Most said it's area dependent.
Well, I signed up, accepting a higher energy rate, I requested the meters online and was placed on a waiting list.
Today on calling to request smart meters I was advised that there are no smart meter engineers in Dundee, Scotland.
I'd have to wait a few months until some engineers are trained up to fit the meters in my area.
I was also told that there would be a £30 cancellation fee that could not be waived.
Anyone else faced the same problem in Scotland?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
When I joined OVO I was advised that they provide smart meters in all areas on-demand.
All I had to do was join and call up to book my appointment.
Let me tell you I called all of the big energy suppliers and none of them offered this.
Most said it's area dependent.
Well, I signed up, accepting a higher energy rate, I requested the meters online and was placed on a waiting list.
Today on calling to request smart meters I was advised that there are no smart meter engineers in Dundee, Scotland.
I'd have to wait a few months until some engineers are trained up to fit the meters in my area.
I was also told that there would be a £30 cancellation fee that could not be waived.
Anyone else faced the same problem in Scotland?

Ah, this is frustrating, Sacha17. When you signed up to us, you should have been advised that we didn't have any engineers covering your area, so apologies if this didn't happen.

We do re-evaluate this every few months or so but I wouldn't want to guarantee that we’ll have any engineers deployed in your area anytime soon.

Lucy
I am getting very frustrated at being unsuccessful in arranging a Smart Meter installation. I keep seeing the ads on TV and in the national press (which I can't really see the point of anyway) but when I've tried to book an installation I have been told the installers are not in my area. I received an email saying installation is now available in my area and to go ahead and book an appointment but when I've tried to do that via the website, I get a message saying 'no availability, try again soon'. Would I do better to actually phone OVO?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I am getting very frustrated at being unsuccessful in arranging a Smart Meter installation. I keep seeing the ads on TV and in the national press (which I can't really see the point of anyway) but when I've tried to book an installation I have been told the installers are not in my area. I received an email saying installation is now available in my area and to go ahead and book an appointment but when I've tried to do that via the website, I get a message saying 'no availability, try again soon'. Would I do better to actually phone OVO?

Hi Jasmin

Thank you for your post about getting smart meters installed.

From experience it really is a case of pot luck when you contact to see if they have engineers in the area at the time

My advise would be to contact them and actually ask them. You never know they may have had a cancellation!

Hope you get this sorted and do let us know how you get on
Thanks Matt, i will.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Thanks Matt, i will.

No worries - I just hope you get your smart meter soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks Matt, i will.

No worries - I just hope you get your smart meter soon!

Great advice @Mattj3135. I've moved your comments onto this existing topic around smart meter availability. Will make this thread more useful for other users, and you'll also be able to share your experience of this process here @Jasmin10.

Hopefully we will be able to get one installed for you soon.

Darran
I was due to have a smart meter installed Dec 2015. Unfortunately, the fitter was I'll on the fitting day. I was advised to rebook online as the company could not rebook at the time.

Almost 18 months later there has been no availability in my area in Morecambe and still no slots free. How long should I have to wait?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I was due to have a smart meter installed Dec 2015. Unfortunately, the fitter was I'll on the fitting day. I was advised to rebook online as the company could not rebook at the time.

Almost 18 months later there has been no availability in my area in Morecambe and still no slots free. How long should I have to wait?

Hi Boblittle

Thank you for your post, am sorry to hear of the delays you've faced with getting a smart meter installed.

When the appt was cancelled was it done within 24 hours of the appointment? If so you are due £30 missed appointment gesture of goodwill payment.

My advice would be to contact OVO and ask what the system says their end for availability it may be they have had a cancellation!

I hope you get the meters soon
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Mattj3135 is right @Boblittle. If the appointment was cancelled without much warning, you might be entitled to a £30 Guaranteed Standards payment. If you’d like me to double check if you are, feel free to send me a private message (PM) with your name, DoB and OVO account number.

Have you recently checked the customer booking platform? You can find this here: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. Any available appointments will be displayed there. If there are no available appointments showing, let me know when you send me a PM and I can see what the engineer coverage is like in your area.

Lucy
When will you supply me with a smart meter the same as my neighbours who have had their suppliers install theirs more than a year ago.
Please don't come up the excuse you are a small company again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
When will you supply me with a smart meter the same as my neighbours who have had their suppliers install theirs more than a year ago.

Hi @jimgedwards welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

The availability of smart meter engineers varies from region to region, so my first suggestion to you would be to contact the OVO customer care team either by phone or social media (if using social media please send them your full name, address and OVO account number and let them know you've looking to see if there is any availability to install smart meters. )

Please do come back and let us know how you get on. Have a lovely weekend. 😀
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jim,

I've moved this to another topic on smart meter availability. Have a go on that booking platform (at the top of the new topic) and if you don't have any luck, PM me your account number, name and DoB so I can have a go.

Thanks,
Tim
Thanks Tim. I'm trying to get a smart meter installed but currently no availability in my area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks Tim. I'm trying to get a smart meter installed but currently no availability in my area.

Hi Jasmin,

Don't be alarmed - I've moved this latest comment to a new topic all about smart meter availability. Have a look at the comments above, as the next steps for you are outlined.

Tim
unable to book smart meter installation
I recommended that my elderly parents open an account with Ovo as they were offing smart meter installation with the accounts. Once the account was open they attempted to book the installation as instructed by an email. The we site was not functioning, they could not get past he log in stage. They tried on the phone and were told this was because Ovo were not tete the supplier and that was why they couldn't log on. the Account would become active as Ovo took over supply. On trying to book the meter insulation they were told there were no appointments were available in the area.
They received an email later asking them to book the installation, again they could to log on. I tried using my phone and discovered there were no appointments available. I tried on the phone and was told that the contractors being used by Ovo don't have enough trained staff and cannot meet the demand.
Late week they received an email asking for meter reads. Monthly meter reads form part of the contract as far as I understand. This morning I read the meters for them and tried to submit the readings on line.
The website carries the instruction that as they have smart meters, they do not have to submit readings and there are not links to enter a reading.
There are no linked to a customer service telephone number or an email address.
Why are Ovo advertising an account with benefits they cannot provide? If smart meters are so difficult to install stop advertising the account and get the website sorted out too. They would not have entered into the supply contract if they new this was going to happen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I recommended that my elderly parents open an account with Ovo as they were offing smart meter installation with the accounts. Once the account was open they attempted to book the installation as instructed by an email. The we site was not functioning, they could not get past he log in stage. They tried on the phone and were told this was because Ovo were not tete the supplier and that was why they couldn't log on. the Account would become active as Ovo took over supply. On trying to book the meter insulation they were told there were no appointments were available in the area.
They received an email later asking them to book the installation, again they could to log on. I tried using my phone and discovered there were no appointments available. I tried on the phone and was told that the contractors being used by Ovo don't have enough trained staff and cannot meet the demand.
Late week they received an email asking for meter reads. Monthly meter reads form part of the contract as far as I understand. This morning I read the meters for them and tried to submit the readings on line.
The website carries the instruction that as they have smart meters, they do not have to submit readings and there are not links to enter a reading.
Why are Ovo advertising an account with benefits they cannot provide? If smart meters are so difficult to install stop advertising the account and get the website sorted out too. They would not have entered into the supply contract if they new this was going to happen.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to get the smart meters fitted and that regular meter readings are required until your parents get the smart meters fitted.

I'm pleased to hear you're parents switched over to OVO on your recommendation, did you both get your refer a friend reward? Check out the forum topic on this here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/refer-a-friend-reward-tell-more-109

In relation to the regular meter reads - you may find the priority services register helpful, check out the details for this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-ovo/what-is-the-priority-services-register.html

In relation to the availability of smart meter installation engineers, unfortunately due to high demand, there is a wait in certain areas. If your parents have fully migrated to OVO I'd recommend a regular check in to see what availability there is in your area as It will change regularly.

When the time does come for the smart meters to be installed you and your parents may find this info useful: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-i-need-to-do-before-my-smart-meter-installation.html

Finally, have your parents given OVO permission for you to discuss their account on their behalf? If not I would advise you to set this up if you intend to help them out as OVO won't be able to discuss the account with you without this consent on file.

I hope the above helps and please do let us know how you / your parents get on 🙂
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to get the smart meters fitted and that regular meter readings are required until your parents get the smart meters fitted.

I'm pleased to hear you're parents switched over to OVO on your recommendation, did you both get your refer a friend reward? Check out the forum topic on this here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/refer-a-friend-reward-tell-more-109

In relation to the regular meter reads - you may find the priority services register helpful, check out the details for this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-ovo/what-is-the-priority-services-register.html

In relation to the availability of smart meter installation engineers, unfortunately due to high demand, there is a wait in certain areas. If your parents have fully migrated to OVO I'd recommend a regular check in to see what availability there is in your area as It will change regularly.

When the time does come for the smart meters to be installed you and your parents may find this info useful: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-i-need-to-do-before-my-smart-meter-installation.html

Finally, have your parents given OVO permission for you to discuss their account on their behalf? If not I would advise you to set this up if you intend to help them out as OVO won't be able to discuss the account with you without this consent on file.

I hope the above helps and please do let us know how you / your parents get on :)

I am sorry but I find this reply patronising nonsense. Firstly you do have the consent on file for me to discuss my parent’s account. It should not have been difficult for you to check before making your reply.
Your reply merely admits there is a problem with out any indication of how or when you are going to resolve the issue. You have simply tried to leave the onus with customer for a problem, which should not become theirs to resolve in the first instance. To add insult to injury you also remind me of their contractual obligations regarding meter reads
As far as the reward is concerned - I rather feel I am carrying the can home for recommending Ovo
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I am sorry but I find this reply patronising nonsense. Firstly you do have the consent on file for me to discuss my parent’s account. It should not have been difficult for you to check before making your reply.
Your reply merely admits there is a problem with out any indication of how or when you are going to resolve the issue. You have simply tried to leave the onus with customer for a problem, which should not become theirs to resolve in the first instance. To add insult to injury you also remind me of their contractual obligations regarding meter reads
As far as the reward is concerned - I rather feel I am carrying the can home for recommending Ovo

Hi @paul major thanks for posting back, just to be clear I do not work for OVO nor do I have access to any of their systems - I am simply a fellow customer helping others out by pointing them in the right direction. Sorry you feel my post is patronising I welcome all feedback to help improve the advice I give others.

As you've advised OVO have consent on file my advice at this stage would be to contact the OVO customer care team, either by phone or online (if using an online platform please include your parents full name, address and OVO account number)

My advice in relation to the priority services register may be useful as if you're parents feel they fit the criteria to join this OVO can arrange to read their meters for them obviating the need for you to do this, whilst awaiting smart meters being installed. Again as part of the priority services register OVO could relocate the meter to make it easier to access for your parents.

In a nutshell my advice would be to reach out to the lovely team at OVO who will be more than happy to help you resolve this.

Have a great weekend
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch via the OVO Forum about this issue. As @Mattj3135 mentioned above, he's a fellow Forum user (a super user to be more precise), and doesn't work for OVO. Just another thing, I've moved this thread to another topic on smart meter availability to keep them all in the same place.

As one of the moderators on the forum, I do have access to the systems and would be happy to look into this for you. I'll send you a PM in a minute to ask for some account info.

These smart meters are subject to availability, but it sounds like My OVO thinks your parents already have smart meters, which is why it won't let you submit a meter reading or book another appointment. This needs checking, so send over those account details when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Tim
By email today I have been given a link to an OVO a smart meter check page where I can from time to time check if there is a cancellation I can take up in my area, however to link does not work can anyone give me that link please?
I am having my electric meter upgraded to allow me to have a smart meter can i book an appointment to have a smart meter fitted ?
Hey @Darvik88

I've moved your query over to an existing topic on booking a smart meter installation. Just take a look a Lucy's 'Best Answer' at the top.

Thanks,
Emily
Hi.

We are new to OVO and are right in the middle of switching our energy to OVO. The switch will be completed on the 6th April.

Today we had a knock at our front door and a man from Toto Energy said he was here to install the new Smart Meter. I am suspicious by nature and told him basically sling his hook and said we're not interested.

I asked our neighbours if the man had knocked at their door and they all said No. I asked when they last switched suppliers and none have within the last 12 months.

So I have two questions.

1) Do OVO contact their customers directly when a smart meter is requested to be installed?

2) Why did Toto Energy single out our house? Did they know we are in the middle of switching suppliers? How do they know we don't have a Smart Meter already (we don't by the way, but how would they know if we have/haven't?). Is there an insider at Ovo or EON passing this information along?

Thanks.