Pushing smart meters agenda

• 19 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Given the mistakes Ovo are making recently could this be an agenda to push smart meters? Many customers might be so fed up with the hastle they may see smart meters as the answer to their problems when in reality it's Ovo designing the mistakes?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @NoiseMaker... Well, that hypothesis is what I call really making some noise!

So, if I understand you correctly, you imply that OVO is making mistakes (billing?) predominately with customers who do not yet have Smart Meters. And furthermore you think this might be due to a deliberate agenda to persuade those, like me, that we should migrate to having one installed.

Firstly, I can see from reading this Forum why you might reach this conclusion. But equally, this Forum contains a biased sample. Customers are far more likely to request help if they're reading meters manually than if the readings are being supplied to OVO automatically.

As fellow customers, none of us know the %age of manual readings that are incorrect. But I can surmise that the number of false readings from SM's is almost zero!

Secondly, all Energy Suppliers will be experiencing an increase in usage-estimate mistakes and consequential billing errors over the next year. This coincides with them having to migrate to a system able to support the features on the forthcoming SMETS2 meters. This is sufficiently large a technological step that many will be opting to write a completely new Tariff & Accounts system.

So that means the Utility Suppliers have to shift their very best mathematicians and programmers away from maintenance of the existing systems, and use them to develop a flexible self-learning multi-tariff software suite which has never previously existed in the UK.

There have been small-scale attempts at remote-management of domestic energy, including one in New England (USA) by a company called VCharge. You may know that OVO acquired the UK subsiduary of VCharge last year, and hence now own this knowledge and the associated software protocols. However, they are currently unable to fully implement this innovative technology due to regulatory restrictions. If you want a glimpse of what changes this will require, have a look at this letter from VCharge to the British Government.

Much of the Regulatory Change to facilitate SMETS2 operation has now been enacted by Parliament. The main push towards this technology is from our Government, who have set a deadline of 2020 for universal Smart Meter (SMETS2) implementation.

The inevitable consequence is that those of us remaining on old-style meters will perceive that we have a higher than average error-rate on our estimates/billing.

It doesn't mean that the problem goes away if you switch Suppliers. In fact, you might initiate a Switch based on past performance only to find that your new Supplier is just starting the re-programming which OVO has already embarked on! I think that's called "out of frying pan into fire"!
You're coming in loud and clear. 不不不
Hi @NoiseMaker... Well, that hypothesis is what I call really making some noise!

So, if I understand you correctly, you imply that OVO is making mistakes (billing?) predominately with customers who do not yet have Smart Meters. And furthermore you think this might be due to a deliberate agenda to persuade those, like me, that we should migrate to having one installed.

Firstly, I can see from reading this Forum why you might reach this conclusion. But equally, this Forum contains a biased sample. Customers are far more likely to request help if they're reading meters manually than if the readings are being supplied to OVO automatically.

As fellow customers, none of us know the %age of manual readings that are incorrect. But I can surmise that the number of false readings from SM's is almost zero!

Secondly, all Energy Suppliers will be experiencing an increase in usage-estimate mistakes and consequential billing errors over the next year. This coincides with them having to migrate to a system able to support the features on the forthcoming SMETS2 meters. This is sufficiently large a technological step that many will be opting to write a completely new Tariff & Accounts system.

So that means the Utility Suppliers have to shift their very best mathematicians and programmers away from maintenance of the existing systems, and use them to develop a flexible self-learning multi-tariff software suite which has never previously existed in the UK.

There have been small-scale attempts at remote-management of domestic energy, including one in New England (USA) by a company called VCharge. You may know that OVO acquired the UK subsiduary of VCharge last year, and hence now own this knowledge and the associated software protocols. However, they are currently unable to fully implement this innovative technology due to regulatory restrictions. If you want a glimpse of what changes this will require, have a look at this letter from VCharge to the British Government.

Much of the Regulatory Change to facilitate SMETS2 operation has now been enacted by Parliament. The main push towards this technology is from our Government, who have set a deadline of 2020 for universal Smart Meter (SMETS2) implementation.

The inevitable consequence is that those of us remaining on old-style meters will perceive that we have a higher than average error-rate on our estimates/billing.

It doesn't mean that the problem goes away if you switch Suppliers. In fact, you might initiate a Switch based on past performance only to find that your new Supplier is just starting the re-programming which OVO has already embarked on! I think that's called "out of frying pan into fire"!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-5600925/Stop-smart-meter-bullying-tricks-power-firms-use-force-switch-digital-meters.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
[fx: sigh]

Lots of unsubstantiated claims in this Mail article!

If they are correct in stating that the Energy Companies must fit 50 million Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and that only 11 million are currently installed, then their maths is wrong to calculate that this equals 24 meter-installs per minute.

But the "bullying tactics" they claim are being used by the Big-6 Energy Suppliers is an issue which can be readily resolved...
... switch suppliers to one with better ethical standards, such as OVO!

Personally, I've taken steps to ensure that I don't feel bullied by the pressure of public-campaigns based on wild conjecture. I don't read the Daily Mail! 😳
[fx: sigh]

Lots of unsubstantiated claims in this Mail article!

If they are correct in stating that the Energy Companies must fit 50 million Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and that only 11 million are currently installed, then their maths is wrong to calculate that this equals 24 meter-installs per minute.

But the "bullying tactics" they claim are being used by the Big-6 Energy Suppliers is an issue which can be readily resolved...
... switch suppliers to one with better ethical standards, such as OVO!

Personally, I've taken steps to ensure that I don't feel bullied by the pressure of public-campaigns based on wild conjecture. I don't read the Daily Mail! :$

(Links edited by Moderator)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
... and lots more unsubstantiated claims in those two articles too!

The first concerns heating food using microwave ovens, which isn't related to the initial posting about the Daily Mail article.

The second fails to establish a baseline for pre-existing wireless signals within the home prior to the installation of a Smart Meter. Nor does it declare the frequencies being challenged or the intensity of Smart Meter signals. As such the health warnings cannot be verified. The web-page lacks credibility.

I can pick up a rock containing uranium ore in my back garden which is far more likely to cause mutations in cell DNA than any Smart Meter!
... and lots more unsubstantiated claims in those two articles too!

The first concerns heating food using microwave ovens, which isn't related to the initial posting about the Daily Mail article.

The second fails to establish a baseline for pre-existing wireless signals within the home prior to the installation of a Smart Meter. Nor does it declare the frequencies being challenged or the intensity of Smart Meter signals. As such the health warnings cannot be verified. The web-page lacks credibility.

I can pick up a rock containing uranium ore in my back garden which is far more likely to cause mutations in cell DNA than any Smart Meter!