Solved

Is a smart meter not such a smart idea?

• 31 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Took a lot to persuade my wife a smartmeter was the way to go. She waited in for engineer to install and then, shock horror...he found gas pipes slightly in the way, so he took photos and told us another engineer would be returning with the ability to move the offending gas pipes........sadly that was a very long time ago and nothing has happened. My wife thinks its a sign that we should not have a smartmeter installed ! I say its just a bit sloppy of OVO and am left wondering if this sloppyness finds its way into other things, such as smartmeters, and maybe we shouldnt have one after all. What does the forum think? what does OVO think?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 31 August 2018, 21:10

Hi @Steve B R.

We had a similar discussion here a few months back about Meter Installers not moving earth-bonding connections which were sited on pipes close to the gas meter.

We learned that the rules concerning what Installers may and may not do are somewhat more complex than any of us had supposed.

If you could take one or two photos of the meter and offending pipes yourself, it would good if we could see them here please. Then we can give a better-informed opinion on what the problem is, and whether you can take action yourself to resolve the issue.

Please ask if you're unsure how to upload a photo. I generally edit them down to 800-pixels (max) in the horizontal direction because that's the resolution used if you embed a graphic directly into your message. If you want to send higher resolution, then leave the slider in the position where it's also available as an attachment.

Don't worry if you make a mistake. We'll cope ok I'm sure 🙂
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Steve B R.

We had a similar discussion here a few months back about Meter Installers not moving earth-bonding connections which were sited on pipes close to the gas meter.

We learned that the rules concerning what Installers may and may not do are somewhat more complex than any of us had supposed.

If you could take one or two photos of the meter and offending pipes yourself, it would good if we could see them here please. Then we can give a better-informed opinion on what the problem is, and whether you can take action yourself to resolve the issue.

Please ask if you're unsure how to upload a photo. I generally edit them down to 800-pixels (max) in the horizontal direction because that's the resolution used if you embed a graphic directly into your message. If you want to send higher resolution, then leave the slider in the position where it's also available as an attachment.

Don't worry if you make a mistake. We'll cope ok I'm sure 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Steve B R,

I'm really sorry to hear no-one got back to you about a follow-up appointment.

In these situations, generally the engineers will send a 'job report' back to us advising why they weren't able to carry out the meter exchange. You'd need to get back in touch to book another appointment though, we can't do this for you without your agreement.

As @Transparent mentioned, if you upload some pictures, we should be able to identify the issue and let you know the nest steps.

Thanks