Solved

If there's no mobile signal in my area, should I still get a smart meter fitted?

• 27 November 2018
  • 2 replies

is there any point in my having a smart meter installed as there is no mobile signal from any network where I live? Can smart meters communicate over WiFi or WiFi Calling for example?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 30 November 2018, 11:12

Hi @Windrushvalley

Firstly, the signal strength is checked as part of the installation process. It's up to the Installer to get it right - not you!

Secondly, many Smart Meters can have external GSM aerials fitted to overcome such problems. You could make mention of the possibility of one being needed when you arrange the appointment.

Thirdly, the data format used for transferring information to/fro your Smart Meter is different to that used for mobile phone calls, even though they use the same frequencies for transmission. The data-packet has plenty of error-checking and error-correction in it. So it's a fairly robust system.

Finally; no... it will never be the case that Smart Meters are permitted to operate across WiFi links, or any other internet delivery system. This would leave the security of our UK Energy Supply system open to cyber attack from malicious 3rd-parties.

Even your Energy Supplier cannot directly communicate with a Smart Meter. All traffic is sent via the Data Communications Company (DCC) who employ a high-level encryption system approved by GCHQ.

It was the need to get this data encryption system re-tested which caused the 6 month delay in SMETS2 meters being rolled out.

Search for an appointment here.

Updated 1/5/2020

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Windrushvalley I live in the country side where signal isn't all that great and I have had zero issues with my meter readings being submitted. I would highly recommend you get them installed. That way, no need to stress having to manually input the numbers yourself 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Windrushvalley

Firstly, the signal strength is checked as part of the installation process. It's up to the Installer to get it right - not you!

Secondly, many Smart Meters can have external GSM aerials fitted to overcome such problems. You could make mention of the possibility of one being needed when you arrange the appointment.

Thirdly, the data format used for transferring information to/fro your Smart Meter is different to that used for mobile phone calls, even though they use the same frequencies for transmission. The data-packet has plenty of error-checking and error-correction in it. So it's a fairly robust system.

Finally; no... it will never be the case that Smart Meters are permitted to operate across WiFi links, or any other internet delivery system. This would leave the security of our UK Energy Supply system open to cyber attack from malicious 3rd-parties.

Even your Energy Supplier cannot directly communicate with a Smart Meter. All traffic is sent via the Data Communications Company (DCC) who employ a high-level encryption system approved by GCHQ.

It was the need to get this data encryption system re-tested which caused the 6 month delay in SMETS2 meters being rolled out.

Search for an appointment here.

Updated 1/5/2020