Solved

If I move into a house with a smart meter - can I have it replaced with traditional meters?

• 28 March 2019
  • 1 reply

If I move into a house with a smart meter - can I have it replaced with traditional dial meters?

I don't like the idea of my energy supply being under remote control where it could fail through no fault of my own but through hacking into the system; through network failure; through someone "pressing the wrong button"; through mistaken identity and many many other reasons - they are a recipe for disaster!!

Thank you
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 9 April 2019, 13:09

Hi @DOUGHALL

This entirely depends on the policy of the energy company supplying the property you move into.

If it's OVO, there would be a fee of £106 per meter to exchange functioning (non faulty) smart meters to traditional metes purely out of preference.

If you pay monthly for your energy, there's no chance of anyone 'pressing the wrong button' and cutting you off, as your energy supply is left running in 'credit mode'. The smart system is mostly automated, and no-one internally would be accessing your meters on our system, unless you got in touch to report an issue. If you'd like more information on the safety of smart meters, take a look here.

Thanks
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @DOUGHALL

This entirely depends on the policy of the energy company supplying the property you move into.

If it's OVO, there would be a fee of £106 per meter to exchange functioning (non faulty) smart meters to traditional metes purely out of preference.

If you pay monthly for your energy, there's no chance of anyone 'pressing the wrong button' and cutting you off, as your energy supply is left running in 'credit mode'. The smart system is mostly automated, and no-one internally would be accessing your meters on our system, unless you got in touch to report an issue. If you'd like more information on the safety of smart meters, take a look here.

Thanks