Solved

I don't want smart meters - how do I opt out of them?

• 8 February 2018
  • 9 replies

How many times do I have to complete the OVO smart meter opt out form before OVO will stop sending me invitations to have a smart meter fitted?
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 12 February 2018, 16:19

Whilst we think smart meters are great, we can understand if you don't want them installed, @ElectricTV

Send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can ensure you're opted out of receiving any correspondence regarding smart meters.

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Hope this helps,
Emma

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

9 replies

Whilst we think smart meters are great, we can understand if you don't want them installed, @ElectricTV

Send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can ensure you're opted out of receiving any correspondence regarding smart meters.

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Hope this helps,
Emma

**Updated 24/07/2019**
Emma

I'll agree with you about smart meters when you and all the other energy companies use the same one. Until then I'll stick with the one installed by BG (which of course doesn't work with OVO).

On your offer, what is the point of asking me to reply opting out of receiving emails about smart meters when you ignore my replies? Why should I have any more confidence in you doing it when it doesn't work when I do?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sorry to hear that you haven’t had a response yet @ElectricTV. If you’ve sent the team a message on Facebook or Twitter, they’ll get back to you by the end of today.

Lucy
Lucy

When OVO sends customers an invitation to have a smart meter installed it includes an opt out "button" and says that if we press that button (metaphorically speaking) it promises in effect to take us off the list and not to bother us again.

I was sent an invitation and used the opt out button. It clearly didn't work as promised because a few months later the invitation was sent out to me again. I again used the opt out button and eventually got a third invitation.

The opt outs are the "replies" I referred to. I'm not looking for a reply from OVO, just that they do what they promise i.e. not to bother me again with the same request.
PS

Purely out of interest....why do you have a forum if you would prefer people to use Facebook or Twitter? Or to put it another way...if customers get a faster result by using Facebook why bother with the forum?
Good question, @ElectricTV

The Forum is for customers to help each other, share their knowledge and engage in discussions. We're here as moderators to ensure everything runs smoothly and to step in if it's something a customer can't resolve by themselves. In these situations, we'd direct you to our Social team who would be best placed to help.

Emma
Have been invited to have an S1 smart meter or opt out of receiving invitations. There is no option to not have the S1 but have the S2 when available, which is my preferred option.
MR
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Mike39 these S2 meters are still in testing, so if you wanted to wait, just opt out. However, there's no need to wait: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/why-you-should-get-a-smart-meter-asap-542.

^Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@Mike39,

I'd be interested to hear why you don't was a SMETS1 meter, but want to receive an invitation for a SMETS2 when they get released.

What feature(s) are you looking for?