Solved

How to upgrade to a gas smart meter if I've got a large (U16) gas supply?

• 5 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi,
I have a gas meter for my flat that was originally installed in the 1970s for the whole house with seven open gas fires. The house was sub-divided into four flats in the 1980s but I ended up with the original house meter for my flat.
I would like to install a smart gas meter from OVO Energy but it will not be possible as it is not a drop in replacement.
How do I first down grade to a smaller sized standard meter?
I have a gas boiler and gas hob in the flat only. The 3 gas fires are now disconnected.
Do I need to contact National Grid?
Thanks
Nick
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 July 2017, 15:50

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great news that you’re keen to get a smart meter installed - there’s some great benefits in store for you!

Firstly it’s worth mentioning that in order to get a smart meter you’ll need to make some changes to your set-up, as we don’t offer a smart meter for large (U16) gas supplies. It sounds like you no longer need a U16 meter for your current gas usage in which case you’ll be able to downgrade to a standard U6 gas meter.

In order to get this process started you’ll need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test. If it’s below 64.6 kWh, a downgrade will be possible, reach out to our Support team who can advise of the next steps to get this arranged and a new smart meter installed!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi, I currently have a U16 meter and so appear to be unable to have a smart meter fitted for gas.  

I’m currently not with Ovo (I’m with the creature with eight legs!) but my current supplier is being totally unhelpful.  

I understand that there are very few smart meters for a U16 meter - do you agree?

I only have a 40kW boiler attached to this supply (no gas cooker anymore) and so having read about the subject, a U6 with a 65kW capacity should be ample.  Do you agree?

My provider won’t do anything about changing to a U6 meter but it sounds like you guys are far more helpful.  Do you have any suggestions (including moving to you??)?  Also, as a consumer, do I have to pay anything for the change of meter?

Finally, how often should a U16 meter be replaced?

Many thanks for your help (I hope!).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The U rating as you probably know is mainly to do with flow rate in cubic metres per hr

so it will be prefaced by what your boiler requires.

Did you see the notes at the top of this feed about a load test? If you’re looking to downgrade, that would be required I believe. 
I’m not sure if anyone can offer further advice for the rest of your queries. 
There’s a helpful resource at gas connections in case you haven’t already found it

https://www.gasconnections.co.uk/u16-gas-meter/

There’s also more info here

Badge

Hello, despite my protestations that u16 gas meters are not available yet, OVO have arranged to visit and supposedly fit a u 16 meter tomorrow! Should I cancel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @funcarblur , it’s the smart meter versions which aren’t available yet as far as I’m aware. This was the last update I saw.