Solved

How to upgrade to a gas smart meter if I've got a large (U16) gas supply?

• 5 July 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi,
I have a gas meter for my flat that was originally installed in the 1970s for the whole house with seven open gas fires. The house was sub-divided into four flats in the 1980s but I ended up with the original house meter for my flat.
I would like to install a smart gas meter from OVO Energy but it will not be possible as it is not a drop in replacement.
How do I first down grade to a smaller sized standard meter?
I have a gas boiler and gas hob in the flat only. The 3 gas fires are now disconnected.
Do I need to contact National Grid?
Thanks
Nick
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 July 2017, 15:50

Hi,
I have a gas meter for my flat that was originally installed in the 1970s for the whole house with seven open gas fires. The house was sub-divided into four flats in the 1980s but I ended up with the original house meter for my flat.
I would like to install a smart gas meter from OVO Energy but it will not be possible as it is not a drop in replacement.
I have a gas boiler and gas hob in the flat only. The 3 gas fires are now disconnected.
Thanks
Nick

Great question @NickinHP - I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags as I’m sure another user, one day, will look at this topic and benefit from reading the answers below!

It sounds like your usage no longer warrants a large gas supply (u16) meter. If this is the case, we’ll be able to visit and perform a ‘downgrade’ of the meter, allowing a smart meter to go in. You’ll need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, and if it’s below 66 kwh, a downgrade can be booked in.

This advice will probably raise more questions than it answers. I’d suggest you ring up, so that you can get transferred to our Site visit team: experts involving all things pipes and cables. They can talk you through the necessary steps. Call them on: 0330 303 5063. As I’ve got your details, I’ll note you account to advise of this.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi,
Thanks
Nick

Great question @NickinHP - I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags as I’m sure another user, one day, will look at this topic and benefit from reading the answers below!

It sounds like your usage no longer warrants a large gas supply (u16) meter. If this is the case, we’ll be able to visit and perform a ‘downgrade’ of the meter, allowing a smart meter to go in. You’ll need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, and if it’s below 66 kwh, a downgrade can be booked in.

This advice will probably raise more questions than it answers. I’d suggest you ring up, so that you can get transferred to our Site visit team: experts involving all things pipes and cables. They can talk you through the necessary steps. Call them on: 0330 303 5063. As I’ve got your details, I’ll note you account to advise of this.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I also have a U16 meter but in my case, I need the extra capacity so a downgrade is not an option. I am currently staying with a dumb meter as there are, as far as I know, no U16 smart meters but what happens if smart meters become compulsory? Will there be smart U16 or G10s available?
Badge
I have now got a standard
Domestic E6 meter installed by OVO Energy. I had to get a Gas Safe engineer to issue a load certificate to demonstrate the smaller meter was all that was needed. I now have booked a smart gas meter installation for November 27th. Don't know why it tales 9 months to get one.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@NickinHP - wow that's a long time in advance. We don't normally offer appointments this far away. Did you book this over the phone?
Badge
I have an electric smart meter already so just need smart electric. Please can you look to see if there is an earlier slot available in London W14 8BG area. I booked it by email and would very much to bring the date forward.
Thanks for your follow up. Been faithful OVO Energy customer for years.
Badge
Sorry just need smart gas meter.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry just need smart gas meter.

You'd need to contact the customer services team about this, or drop the team on Facebook a message: m.me/ovoenergy

Cheers
Dear Nancy_OVO,

I also have a U16 meter but in my case, I need the extra capacity so a
downgrade is not an option. I am currently staying with a dumb meter as
there are, as far as I know, no U16 smart meters but what happens if
smart meters become compulsory? Will there be smart U16 or G10s
available?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @madderose,

After 2020, we'll no longer continue to replace traditional meters with other traditional meter. All replacements will be for smart meters, but it'll be a gradual phase-out.

If you still need your U16 supply after 2020, a smaller smart meter won't be forced on you. An equivalent smart meter of this capacity is still in the pipeworks (pardon the pun).

Cheers

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings