Solved

How do I book a smart meter installation?

Hi - I’m trying to work out where I have to go online to book a smart meter installation.

also really keen to know if it will be a smets2 now.

thanks
icon

Best answer by Transparent 15 April 2019, 10:16

Hi @Organic You should find a link on your own My OVO page when you login which allows you to upgrade Smart meters.

Whether you'll get SMETS2 meters still depends on where you live. I can't tell from your Forum Profile because you have yet to fill it out.

In any case, I've described the geographical regions more fully (with maps) on another Topic here. There are revised comments later on in the same thread. HTH
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Organic You should find a link on your own My OVO page when you login which allows you to upgrade Smart meters.

Whether you'll get SMETS2 meters still depends on where you live. I can't tell from your Forum Profile because you have yet to fill it out.

In any case, I've described the geographical regions more fully (with maps) on another Topic here. There are revised comments later on in the same thread. HTH
I have checked but have no link 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK. In that case go to this page.

And you should indeed now get a SMETS2 in Essex.... because OVO will no longer get credit if they install a SMETS1 after 16th March!
Hi,
I'm a new customer of OVOs and was expecting a new smart meter to be fitted but no one from the company have contacted me yer. Does anyone havea customer service number or email address so I can get in touch with someone to arrande a fitting please?
Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Lynn Mills - I've moved your topic over here where you can find more info on how to book an appointment.
I am having no success with getting a smart meter - just told there are no appointments in my area. Is Bury st Edmunds a bit of a dead spot?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I think it was only a dead spot for St Edmund!
Really helpful comment, now why didn't I think of that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So on a slightly more helpful tack, @jayeff :-

In your geographical location, the Smart Meter communications network operates on a modification of the 3G mobile phone network, run by Telefonica (O2). I would be very surprised if there wasn't good coverage in your particularly flat region of the country!

A year ago I know that OVO was using a 3rd party company to install the earlier SMETS1 meters in your area. There were several Forum Members who raised complaints about their service here.

The current SMETS2 meters are being installed by OVO's own staff and it obviously takes a while to train up a sufficiently large workforce.

I'm just going to tag @BenS_OVO, who is an engineer on the SMETS2 Team in Bristol and ask if he can provide an update of whether it is insufficient numbers of trained Installers which is causing delays around the A14 corridor.
I know it has been asked in the forum about British Gas smart meter version 1 not functioning after switching to OVO, but contacting OVO seems impossible so could someone tell me will OVO replace my British Gas meters with their smart meters version 2? If so do I need to register to get this done and how long after switching might it happen?
I had British gas Smets1 meters. Today Ovo installed Smets2.

My IHD isn't working (hasn't at any point displayed any info from the meters but engineer did say today there seems to be a problem with the IHDs displaying information) but the meters seem to be fine (lights appear to be OK on the Comms hub sitting behind the electricity meter). I just hope the readings are actually going to Ovo....

I just made an appointment once my switch was complete via the online system. Make sure your account is running properly and book a slot. It's about a 2-3 week wait.
Thanks, that is what I hoped they would do, British Gas have refused to change my meters for the second generation ones.
Userlevel 5
I've moved your posts over here, @smarter & @smiff1985. Take a look at @Transparent's best answer for more info! 🙂

I am in process of switching to OVO . When do i get my account number? How can i request a smart meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Here’s a link to the smart meter page, @boatnick 

Your account number should be on your welcome email, sent out 3-5 days after you start the switch process!