Solved

Engineer didn't turn up to fit my smart meter - can you help?

Show first post

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I don't care what the reasons are Lucy.....haven't the engineers got the brains to let me know that they won't be turning up ? A simple txt message or phone call is all that's required. After all, I received a txt message just after 4, asking me how satisfied I was with the installation of the smart meters. So if OVO could send that, why couldn't OVO inform me that the engineers weren't going to bother turning up ?
To say that I'm bloody angry about this is an understatement. This is the worst service that I've received from an energy supplier for many years. With modern technology and the ability to easily inform the customer of situations like this, I thought that this sort of crap service was a thing of the past.

It's a fair expectation @pissedoff - I'll give you that.

Engineers out in the field aren't provided with company phones. They aren't obligated to own mobile phones, or hands free sets that would allow them to call when on the move. As a result, we can ask for customers to be kept in the loop as best as possible, but compensation procures are in place when things like this go wrong. Did you manage to send @Lucy_OVO a PM in the end?

Just to add, there's already a topic on missed appointments, so I've added this message thread to the old topic to keep it all in the same place.

Thanks,
Tim
Sorry to hear about this. There might be a number of reasons for why the appointment was missed, but the most likely explanation is that the engineer got called to carry out an emergency meter exchange.

It’s hard to definitively say what happened without looking at your account so if you’d like me to, feel free to send me a private message (PM) with your name, DoB and OVO account number. Once I have this information, I can speak directly to the engineers to find out exactly what happened.

Lucy

I don't care what the reasons are Lucy.....haven't the engineers got the brains to let me know that they won't be turning up ? A simple txt message or phone call is all that's required. After all, I received a txt message just after 4, asking me how satisfied I was with the installation of the smart meters. So if OVO could send that, why couldn't OVO inform me that the engineers weren't going to bother turning up ?
To say that I'm bloody angry about this is an understatement. This is the worst service that I've received from an energy supplier for many years. With modern technology and the ability to easily inform the customer of situations like this, I thought that this sort of crap service was a thing of the past.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I've wasted a whole day waiting for OVO engineers to install smart meters at my house between 12 and 4......nobody turned up.....why not ?????

Sorry to hear about this. There might be a number of reasons for why the appointment was missed, but the most likely explanation is that the engineer got called to carry out an emergency meter exchange.

It’s hard to definitively say what happened without looking at your account so if you’d like me to, feel free to send me a private message (PM) with your name, DoB and OVO account number. Once I have this information, I can speak directly to the engineers to find out exactly what happened.

Lucy
I've wasted a whole day waiting for OVO engineers to install smart meters at my house between 12 and 4......nobody turned up.....why not ?????
I have tried your FB page and your website as well as the obvious talking to your Payasyougo team but for the 13th time since August 2016 my installation was cancelled today! 5 minutes before the 4 hour slot ended!!! I am fuming! Took a day off work so lost a days earnings!
You want payment yet you can't get an engineer to install either a bog standard prepayment meter or a smart meter, why??? I signed up with OVO because of the good feedback I had heard on the smart meters.
Guess its time to switch again! I have had enough now!

I'm really sorry to hear your smart meter exchange didn't go ahead, @SuMo666

@Mattj3135 is absolutely right - if you send me a PM with your details I'll do all I can to resolve this for you.

Just to let you know - I've moved your query into here as it's good to keep all missed smart meter appointments in one place.

Thanks,
Emma
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @SuMo666

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to post.

Firstly may I say on behalf of the OVO family - I am sorry to learn of the terrible experience you've described above. This certainly isn't what i like to see.

If you'd like to have one last shot at resolving this please send @Emma_OVO a private message with your name, address, OVO account number & date of birth - Emma can firstly ensure that the £30 cancellation fee is paid to you as soon as possible (I know it's not going to cover your full loss of work, but it's OVO policy to automatically pay this to customers when appointments are cancelled within 24 hours.) Secondly, Emma can on your behalf raise a complaint to ensure a full investigation into the repeated issues you've experienced and look to take steps to prevent a recurrence of this whilst also taking the appropriate steps with a gesture of goodwill for the troubles you've been through. Finally, from personal experience When you are with the complaints team they can ensure the appointment for the fitting they schedule is kept to and goes smoothly for you.

Regardless of you choosing to switch I would still invite you to take the above steps so OVO can put this right for you.

I hope this helps and once again am sorry to learn of these issues
I have tried your FB page and your website as well as the obvious talking to your Payasyougo team but for the 13th time since August 2016 my installation was cancelled today! 5 minutes before the 4 hour slot ended!!! I am fuming! Took a day off work so lost a days earnings!
You want payment yet you can't get an engineer to install either a bog standard prepayment meter or a smart meter, why??? I signed up with OVO because of the good feedback I had heard on the smart meters.
Guess its time to switch again! I have had enough now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Appointment yesterday..... rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed.

I had a similar experience when having a smart meter installed. £30 is the industry specified compensation amount, so even though it potentially does not recompense you for the cost of taking a day off work, there's nothing you can do. However, make sure you ask for your £30!!

Hi @Yorkie180

If you weren't given at least 24 hours notice of this cancellation, you’ll be owed some compensation. Send us a message via Twitter, Facebook or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) for us to get this sorted.

If you wanted to rebook your appointment (same goes for you @Steve587) check out the customer facing booking platform below:

If you're a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

As this is the first topic on missed appointments, I've tweaked the title and added some tags so that other users can find it more easily.

Hope this helps,
Tim

**Updated 16/07/2019**
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Appointment yesterday (24/04/2017) to have smart meter fitted between 12 and 16-00. Afternoon off work wasted, rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed. It's now the day after, no phone call or text to rearrange this appointment. Not quite sure this is the way for new customers to be treated!!!

I had a similar experience when having a smart meter installed - forced on me by OVO after I had solar panels fitted. £30 is the industry specified compensation amount, so even though it potentially does not recompense you for the cost of taking a day off work, there's nothing you can do. However, make sure you ask for your £30!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Appointment yesterday (24/04/2017) to have smart meter fitted between 12 and 16-00. Afternoon off work wasted, rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed. It's now the day after, no phone call or text to rearrange this appointment. Not quite sure this is the way for new customers to be treated!!!

@Mattj3135 is right, @Yorkie180, but I’d try calling our Customer Care team first as they’ll be able to help you with this. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Yorkie

Sorry to hear of the missed appointment. From experience this is the best course of action

- ring OVO request to speak to the complaints team / lodge a complaint
- explained engineer failed to show
- request your £30 missed appointment gesture of goodwill payment
- request they reschedule at your earliest convenience.

I've advised my neighbour the same previously - she had meters fitted two weeks later and her £30 credited to her meter.

Please do let us know how you get on!