Solved

Engineer didn't turn up to fit my smart meter - can you help?

Show first post

61 replies

Im quite dissappointed to hear their service has gone downhill. I recently swapped to them and paid more than several other suppliers in the belief i was getting a better service. Now i read such negative comments i can save considerably more money going with the lesser known providers.
I wish more people would wake up to both the dangers and security issues surrounding these abominations.
Ovo of late are abysmal. Be interesting to find out what's caused this turnaround. I'm writing a consumer web page on their poor service and will be monitoring my account very closely.
Add me to the list of annoyed and dissatisfied customers. I joined OVO with the understanding they had good customer service. It is quite clear they find regularly missing appointments without warning acceptable practice. I too have wasted a day waiting for a Smart Meter install. I was reminded the day before that the engineer would be arriving between 12pm - 4pm. No show! Shoddy and rather unpleasant practice. The Lowri Beck customer support did apologise but it was clear they are very used to frustrated customers and very matter of fact in referring me to OVO for compensation which of course I will be doing although £30 is a meagre amount for the inconvenience caused.
I'm really sorry the engineer didn't show up, @Ian H

Check out the best answer on page 1 of this topic for info on what to do next.

Thanks,
Emma
We booked a smart meter installation today 30 January 2108 10.00-2.00. They rang us last night to check we were in so we were confident they would turn up. We waited..and waited. At 2.30 some poor chap in a call centre rang to say they weren't coming! What a waste of a day's holiday ! Incredibly poor service, we weren't even that last slot so they must have known they weren't going to make it well before 2.00 then we could have gone out this afternoon.
They offered a new appointment but I have no confidence they will show so I said no - until someone from OVO shows what brilliant Customer Service is like......
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Had an appointment today between 12 and 4pm for a smart meter install and no one turned up.
At 4.05pm got a phone call to tell me the engineer wouldn't be coming so have wasted my time waiting in.
How do I go about claiming the £30 compensation for this.

Hi, I had the same experience. had no idea about the £30 compensation arrangement. Where did you hear about it??

Sorry to hear this @Evo628 @geordieboy

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on how to claim your missed appointment compensation and get your appointment re-booked!

Tim
Hi, I had the same experience. had no idea about the £30 compensation arrangement. Where did you hear about it??
Had an appointment today between 12 and 4pm for a smart meter install and no one turned up.
At 4.05pm got a phone call to tell me the engineer wouldn't be coming so have wasted my time waiting in.
How do I go about claiming the £30 compensation for this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I was supposed to get a written confirmation of my complaint from ovo but have still have not heard anything. Could someone look into this please as id hope the complaint hasnt been ignored.

Hi @socmwils23

The Forum isn't the best place to chase up a complaint, @socmwils23 - it's intended for users to share with and advise each other. It might be best to send our Social team a message via Facebook or Twitter so they can update you on the status of your complaint. Alternatively email us at hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hope it all gets resolved soon,
Tim
We waited in for the OVO engineer but he didn't show! Wasted hours of our time.
Please can someone sort this out.
Hi @RoddersUK

Thanks for getting in touch. It's disappointing to hear about your experience - we all know how frustrating it is when appointments get cancelled! As this cancellation works both ways, we wouldn't pass on a charge if you managed to send in an email to cancel it yourself shortly before the 24 hour window.

If you'd like be to look into this, please send us a message via Facebook, Twitter, or email (hello@ovoenergy.com).

Cheers,
Emily
Thanks for the reply Emily.

I was supposed to get a written confirmation of my complaint from ovo but have still have not heard anything. Could someone look into this please as id hope the complaint hasnt been ignored.
I can completely appreciate your frustration here, @socmwils23 - and it's understandable that after a second missed appointment, you've decided to raise a complaint.

Now that you've raised a formal complaint on the phone, our Team will be in touch within 5 working days with information on the next steps.

I really hope they're able to find a resolution for you, but if you need anything else in the meantime, just drop me a PM.

Thanks,
Emily
Add me to the list of missed appointments (2 in my case). I even phoned specifically yesterday to confirm all was going ahead. Ws told definitely yes. Today after another no show im told lower beck never even had me in their system!!

So now have to take a 3rd days holiday in the new year for another game of appointment lottery. Have had to register a formal complaint on the phone as £30 each time is just not good enough. i can accept one missed appointment but after that your into new levels of incompetence.

i dont know what else you can do though as the whole thing seems stacked against the consumer who is using valuable holiday time for this when it could be used on other things like an actual holiday!!
Had my meters booked for today, 17th Nov and understood within the last 24 hours there's a £30 fee if I cancel.
So on the 16th Nov Ovo leave a phone message that they will not be coming and said they would also email. By the time I heard/read all this, its the late afternoon, well within the time I would be charged £30 for cancelling. So I thought, as I've taken a day off work, perhaps Ovo being the great company they say they are, would send me £30, I mean why not, its only fair?!

Oh no, they notified me before the 24 hours, the email was sent 27 minutes before the official 24hrs. Come on Ovo, the working day before is 24 hours, lets not get pedantic.

I'm glad I'm in a cooling off period for my 2 year renewal, which I have just cancelled. No way I can give you over £2000 for the next 2 years if your going to act like that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi, that does sounds really bad. I wasn't sure if you had been dealing with OVO direct or Lowri Beck who seem to do some of the installs on behalf of OVO. My guy seemed to work directly for OVO.

Have you tried sending @Lucy_OVO a message here on the forum, she may be able to help? Click on her name and then press "send message".

I hope you get sorted soon.
Oh! i see people talking about compensation for missing appointments. I want the smart reader and I would like to have a receipt for my compensation (4 times!) given in charity.
of course! 4 times I have called them and this never ending story is going on for months and months. Never had any problem before with OVO but this is really annoying!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi,

It sounds like your case is slightly unusual.

My experience was very good, I made an appointment, they turned up and professionally installed the new meters.

Who have you been in contact with? OVO customer service?

Matthew
Hi all,
we have called 4 times to get it and all the time we specified the our meters are over 6ft hight.
the 3rd time they called and did not came because there were not been advised they would need a ladder; other 3 times they came without or with a very small ladder.
I called again around 10 days ago, specified again that the meters are over 6 ft, and specified around 3 m and that they are into a "box" but when opan there is plenty of space to work in then we agreed to get contact via email from adviser giving us the possible days when they could come (my wife lost already enough jobs for nothing) and nobody get in contact with us anymore.
Anybody else had problems to get the smart reader?
thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge
There's not much more I can add to this thread, as I've already related my experience with a missed smart meter installation appointment, and I agree that £30 industry defined compensation is hardly adequate when anyone has taken a day's leave (and possibly needs then to take another one). In my case, I was required to have a smart meter fitted by OVO after having solar panels fitted, but I would question why anyone would voluntarily want to have a smart meter fitted - the only benefit I've had is not having to supply a monthly reading.
I am another person who has wasted a day of their holiday entitlement waiting in for phantom engineers. I find it completely unacceptable in this day and age that OVO and it's partner cannot tell me 48 hours in advance that the engineer will not be calling as I have to give OVO that much notice if I wish to cancel or change the appointment.
Then at 18:05 I get an automated text from OVO asking me how the install went !!!!
At 18:44 I get a phone call from the partner company apologising for the engineer not arriving and asking me if I would like to re-arrange the fitting. I suggest the following Monday as I already have a day off booked but they cannot make that. I haven't made an appointment but will be available at home any Saturday or Sunday plus Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.
I look forward to OVO crediting my account with the £30 for a missed appointment but feel that this amount is far short of the amount it should be to make missing apointments really hurt the Company and to fully recompense me for a wasted day off.
Another Happy Customer NOT
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @pissedoff - I sent you a PM today which I hope helped. If you need me to help with anything else, feel free to reply to my most recent PM.

Lucy
Hi Tim,
I did send a PM (2 in fact) to @Lucy_OVO, but haven't received a reply.......but I did receive a phone call from another girl this afternoon, offering her apologies and explanation.
She was pleasant and offered to book another time for my meters to be changed, but I've decided that I'll wait until that becomes necessary, as I can't afford to waste another day.

Cheers
Grant