Solved

Engineer didn't turn up to fit my smart meter - can you help?

Show first post

61 replies

We waited in for the OVO engineer but he didn't show! Wasted hours of our time.
Please can someone sort this out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I was supposed to get a written confirmation of my complaint from ovo but have still have not heard anything. Could someone look into this please as id hope the complaint hasnt been ignored.

Hi @socmwils23

The Forum isn't the best place to chase up a complaint, @socmwils23 - it's intended for users to share with and advise each other. It might be best to send our Social team a message via Facebook or Twitter so they can update you on the status of your complaint. Alternatively email us at hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hope it all gets resolved soon,
Tim
Had an appointment today between 12 and 4pm for a smart meter install and no one turned up.
At 4.05pm got a phone call to tell me the engineer wouldn't be coming so have wasted my time waiting in.
How do I go about claiming the £30 compensation for this.
Hi, I had the same experience. had no idea about the £30 compensation arrangement. Where did you hear about it??
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Had an appointment today between 12 and 4pm for a smart meter install and no one turned up.
At 4.05pm got a phone call to tell me the engineer wouldn't be coming so have wasted my time waiting in.
How do I go about claiming the £30 compensation for this.

Hi, I had the same experience. had no idea about the £30 compensation arrangement. Where did you hear about it??

Sorry to hear this @Evo628 @geordieboy

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on how to claim your missed appointment compensation and get your appointment re-booked!

Tim
We booked a smart meter installation today 30 January 2108 10.00-2.00. They rang us last night to check we were in so we were confident they would turn up. We waited..and waited. At 2.30 some poor chap in a call centre rang to say they weren't coming! What a waste of a day's holiday ! Incredibly poor service, we weren't even that last slot so they must have known they weren't going to make it well before 2.00 then we could have gone out this afternoon.
They offered a new appointment but I have no confidence they will show so I said no - until someone from OVO shows what brilliant Customer Service is like......
I'm really sorry the engineer didn't show up, @Ian H

Check out the best answer on page 1 of this topic for info on what to do next.

Thanks,
Emma
Add me to the list of annoyed and dissatisfied customers. I joined OVO with the understanding they had good customer service. It is quite clear they find regularly missing appointments without warning acceptable practice. I too have wasted a day waiting for a Smart Meter install. I was reminded the day before that the engineer would be arriving between 12pm - 4pm. No show! Shoddy and rather unpleasant practice. The Lowri Beck customer support did apologise but it was clear they are very used to frustrated customers and very matter of fact in referring me to OVO for compensation which of course I will be doing although £30 is a meagre amount for the inconvenience caused.
Ovo of late are abysmal. Be interesting to find out what's caused this turnaround. I'm writing a consumer web page on their poor service and will be monitoring my account very closely.
I wish more people would wake up to both the dangers and security issues surrounding these abominations.
Im quite dissappointed to hear their service has gone downhill. I recently swapped to them and paid more than several other suppliers in the belief i was getting a better service. Now i read such negative comments i can save considerably more money going with the lesser known providers.
I’ve now had my 3rd appointment for a Smart Meter to be installed by a contractor they use called Lowry Beck. This is also the 3rd time these contractors have just not shown up! The thing I find truly unacceptable is that there is no notification to say that they can’t honour the appointment time. The time slot just comes and goes and no engineer arrives. The system then seems to be that OVO promptly send you a text to ‘rate the service’, and you, the consumer are left to contact OVO, claim your £30 and rebook another appointment with the same unreliable company. The excuse I’ve been given each time by OVO is that there must have been an emergency in the area (such a huge crisis that Lowry Beck must rush to it and can’t even send out a cancellation text). The is all hugely frustrating having waited in for the company. On my last phone call OVO suggested a new appointing. After 3 no-shows I’ve given up. It would be the same company in my area. OVO did say they would see if they could send out one of their own engineers. But as I spoke to them on the day of the 3rd failed installation attempt (19/03/18) and they’ve never phoned back, I guess they won’t be doing that. Really disappointed with this process and OVO for their lack of regulation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Wow, @Nicjmc, that's hugely disappointing!

Thanks for contributing this to the Forum. I can't tell from your Profile where you are geographically, but it would useful to compare notes with others.

I wonder how much of the problem is due to installers like Lowrie Beck not being able to retain trained Meter Installers, and how much is due to OVO's own meteoric growth? It's possible that their contract with LB was based on a much lower estimate of how many Customers were going to need Smart Meters.

Ultimately, of course, they just simply have to train their own installation team across the whole country. But there's loads to learn, especially with the forthcoming SMETS2 meters, ALCS (smart switches), Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) etc.
Hi @Transparent. I’m in Suffolk. You’re right it could be a lack of trained engineers. Oddly they always seem to be in my area and it is easy to book! OVO seemed to think an emergency call out would have caused the failure to show. But from my experience, it feels that OVO need to develop procedures which better regulate and monitor these contracted companies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks @Nicjmc,

So if there's anyone else in Suffolk area with experience of a Smart Meter installation in the recent past, it would be great to hear from you!

And I think you're right about the monitoring of the 3rd-party Installation Companies. Once OVO have commissioned the site-visit, there seems to be no further communication between them. I find that odd. You'd have expected both parties would have access to a database showing progress.

Moreover, I wonder what happens if the engineer arrives on site only to find that something else needs attending to... perhaps for safety reasons? Do OVO get told about an issue whilst the Engineer is on-site? Do they even receive a safety-test certificate on completion?
I waited in all day for the smart meter man to not show up. I don’t own the house as I’m a student renting, if I claim for the compensation do I get the money or my landlord?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Smrh123,

I guess it depends whose name is on the contract with OVO!
But even if it's your landlord's account, you are the one who waited in, so surely he'd acknowledge that and allow you to retain the compensation?

Just for our interest here, which area of the country are you in?
I’m in Gloucestershire, UK. Thanks for your help!
I was booked in for a Smart Meter installation yesterday (03/04/18) by Lowry Beck between 15:00 and 19:00. My sister was in the house all day - she had received a text message to confirm the appointment (changed to between 14:00 and 18:00) - I'd put her number in as the contact number.

No-one turned up though. Can you help in any way? (I notice from previous posts that there is £30 compensation and the appointment can be rebooked).
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @fozgg,

How frustrating! What area of the country are you in?

As a fellow customer, all the practical help I can give is to direct you to Page-1 of this thread. The "Best Answer" at the top gives you the links to click to rebook an appointment and how to request compensation.
Thanks!

I'm on the Wirral (near Liverpool) 🙂

I'll take a look at the best answer post and follow the steps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Great. So the problems with missed Smart-meter Installs looks like it's quite widespread. That's going to be tricky to solve.

@fozgg, I suggest you also fill in your own User Profile for this Forum. It's the first place I look to glean the basic information about respondents here.

And once you do get a successful meter-install, it would also be good to hear how it went. Eg
  • Was the engineer on time?
  • How long did the job take?
  • Was this within the time he'd been allocated?
  • Did he have any particular difficulties?
  • Were you left with any written/verbal advice about what he'd found on-site?

All this will add to the "collective wisdom" on the Forum and help others, particularly if they're in the same area as you.
Anyone else in the Grays Essex area wish to share their experience?
Absolutely disgusting service - been waiting months for a date to have a smart meter. Now at the point of taking my complaint to Watchdog & the Energy Ombudsman.
By there own admission, OVO website states ‘Its easy’ to have your smart meter installed ! Utter crap and all you get is palmed off by very ‘nice’ apologetic customer service staff ! Get your act together OVO you bang on about being part of the government initiative...... can’t wait for my contract to end with such a rubbish company......my experience ! Can’t wait to see what reply I get to the ever growing mountain of email Ive just sent. Won’t hold my breath - I’ll go blue !
Frustrating to say the least.
[quote=kkdaleyk]Anyone else in the Grays Essex area wish to share their experience?
Absolutely disgusting service - been waiting months for a date to have a smart meter. Now at the point of taking my complaint to Watchdog & the Energy Ombudsman.
By there own admission, OVO website states ‘Its easy’ to have your smart meter installed ! Utter crap and all you get is palmed off by very ‘nice’ apologetic customer service staff ! Get your act together OVO you bang on about being part of the government initiative...... can’t wait for my contract to end with such a rubbish company......my experience ! Can’t wait to see what reply I get to the ever growing mountain of email Ive just sent. Won’t hold my breath - I’ll go blue !
Frustrating to say the least.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Good morning @kkdaleyk.

This sounds very frustrating. There's not a lot that the Forum can do directly because we're mainly fellow customers like you. OVO Customer Services don't monitor what's said here.

However, I can answer one part of your question.

There's another thread here where User nicjmc posted on 30th/31st March on a similar issue and said he was in Suffolk.

He was assigned a visit from the 3rd-party company Lowrie Beck. This might be useful background knowledge in your next email exchange with OVO Customer Services.

I can't move this Topic to that other one, but I expect a Moderator will do so tomorrow for us!