Solved

Engineer didn't turn up to fit my smart meter - can you help?

Appointment yesterday (24/04/2017) to have smart meter fitted between 12 and 16-00. Afternoon off work wasted, rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed. It's now the day after, no phone call or text to rearrange this appointment. Not quite sure this is the way for new customers to be treated!!!
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 May 2017, 16:52

Appointment yesterday..... rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed.

I had a similar experience when having a smart meter installed. £30 is the industry specified compensation amount, so even though it potentially does not recompense you for the cost of taking a day off work, there's nothing you can do. However, make sure you ask for your £30!!

Hi @Yorkie180

If you weren't given at least 24 hours notice of this cancellation, you’ll be owed some compensation. Send us a message via Twitter, Facebook or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) for us to get this sorted.

If you wanted to rebook your appointment (same goes for you @Steve587) check out the customer facing booking platform below:

If you're a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus.

If you're a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

As this is the first topic on missed appointments, I've tweaked the title and added some tags so that other users can find it more easily.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

61 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Appointment yesterday (24/04/2017) to have smart meter fitted between 12 and 16-00. Afternoon off work wasted, rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed. It's now the day after, no phone call or text to rearrange this appointment. Not quite sure this is the way for new customers to be treated!!!

Hi Yorkie

Sorry to hear of the missed appointment. From experience this is the best course of action

- ring OVO request to speak to the complaints team / lodge a complaint
- explained engineer failed to show
- request your £30 missed appointment gesture of goodwill payment
- request they reschedule at your earliest convenience.

I've advised my neighbour the same previously - she had meters fitted two weeks later and her £30 credited to her meter.

Please do let us know how you get on!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Mattj3135 is right, @Yorkie180, but I’d try calling our Customer Care team first as they’ll be able to help you with this. 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge

I had a similar experience when having a smart meter installed - forced on me by OVO after I had solar panels fitted. £30 is the industry specified compensation amount, so even though it potentially does not recompense you for the cost of taking a day off work, there's nothing you can do. However, make sure you ask for your £30!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Appointment yesterday..... rang OVO at 16.45 to be told he was on his way, never showed.

I had a similar experience when having a smart meter installed. £30 is the industry specified compensation amount, so even though it potentially does not recompense you for the cost of taking a day off work, there's nothing you can do. However, make sure you ask for your £30!!

Hi @Yorkie180

If you weren't given at least 24 hours notice of this cancellation, you’ll be owed some compensation. Send us a message via Twitter, Facebook or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) for us to get this sorted.

If you wanted to rebook your appointment (same goes for you @Steve587) check out the customer facing booking platform below:

If you're a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus.

If you're a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

As this is the first topic on missed appointments, I've tweaked the title and added some tags so that other users can find it more easily.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I have tried your FB page and your website as well as the obvious talking to your Payasyougo team but for the 13th time since August 2016 my installation was cancelled today! 5 minutes before the 4 hour slot ended!!! I am fuming! Took a day off work so lost a days earnings!
You want payment yet you can't get an engineer to install either a bog standard prepayment meter or a smart meter, why??? I signed up with OVO because of the good feedback I had heard on the smart meters.
Guess its time to switch again! I have had enough now!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @SuMo666

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to post.

Firstly may I say on behalf of the OVO family - I am sorry to learn of the terrible experience you've described above. This certainly isn't what i like to see.

If you'd like to have one last shot at resolving this please send @Emma_OVO a private message with your name, address, OVO account number & date of birth - Emma can firstly ensure that the £30 cancellation fee is paid to you as soon as possible (I know it's not going to cover your full loss of work, but it's OVO policy to automatically pay this to customers when appointments are cancelled within 24 hours.) Secondly, Emma can on your behalf raise a complaint to ensure a full investigation into the repeated issues you've experienced and look to take steps to prevent a recurrence of this whilst also taking the appropriate steps with a gesture of goodwill for the troubles you've been through. Finally, from personal experience When you are with the complaints team they can ensure the appointment for the fitting they schedule is kept to and goes smoothly for you.

Regardless of you choosing to switch I would still invite you to take the above steps so OVO can put this right for you.

I hope this helps and once again am sorry to learn of these issues
I have tried your FB page and your website as well as the obvious talking to your Payasyougo team but for the 13th time since August 2016 my installation was cancelled today! 5 minutes before the 4 hour slot ended!!! I am fuming! Took a day off work so lost a days earnings!
You want payment yet you can't get an engineer to install either a bog standard prepayment meter or a smart meter, why??? I signed up with OVO because of the good feedback I had heard on the smart meters.
Guess its time to switch again! I have had enough now!

I'm really sorry to hear your smart meter exchange didn't go ahead, @SuMo666

@Mattj3135 is absolutely right - if you send me a PM with your details I'll do all I can to resolve this for you.

Just to let you know - I've moved your query into here as it's good to keep all missed smart meter appointments in one place.

Thanks,
Emma
I've wasted a whole day waiting for OVO engineers to install smart meters at my house between 12 and 4......nobody turned up.....why not ?????
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I've wasted a whole day waiting for OVO engineers to install smart meters at my house between 12 and 4......nobody turned up.....why not ?????

Sorry to hear about this. There might be a number of reasons for why the appointment was missed, but the most likely explanation is that the engineer got called to carry out an emergency meter exchange.

It’s hard to definitively say what happened without looking at your account so if you’d like me to, feel free to send me a private message (PM) with your name, DoB and OVO account number. Once I have this information, I can speak directly to the engineers to find out exactly what happened.

Lucy
Sorry to hear about this. There might be a number of reasons for why the appointment was missed, but the most likely explanation is that the engineer got called to carry out an emergency meter exchange.

It’s hard to definitively say what happened without looking at your account so if you’d like me to, feel free to send me a private message (PM) with your name, DoB and OVO account number. Once I have this information, I can speak directly to the engineers to find out exactly what happened.

Lucy

I don't care what the reasons are Lucy.....haven't the engineers got the brains to let me know that they won't be turning up ? A simple txt message or phone call is all that's required. After all, I received a txt message just after 4, asking me how satisfied I was with the installation of the smart meters. So if OVO could send that, why couldn't OVO inform me that the engineers weren't going to bother turning up ?
To say that I'm bloody angry about this is an understatement. This is the worst service that I've received from an energy supplier for many years. With modern technology and the ability to easily inform the customer of situations like this, I thought that this sort of crap service was a thing of the past.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I don't care what the reasons are Lucy.....haven't the engineers got the brains to let me know that they won't be turning up ? A simple txt message or phone call is all that's required. After all, I received a txt message just after 4, asking me how satisfied I was with the installation of the smart meters. So if OVO could send that, why couldn't OVO inform me that the engineers weren't going to bother turning up ?
To say that I'm bloody angry about this is an understatement. This is the worst service that I've received from an energy supplier for many years. With modern technology and the ability to easily inform the customer of situations like this, I thought that this sort of crap service was a thing of the past.

It's a fair expectation @pissedoff - I'll give you that.

Engineers out in the field aren't provided with company phones. They aren't obligated to own mobile phones, or hands free sets that would allow them to call when on the move. As a result, we can ask for customers to be kept in the loop as best as possible, but compensation procures are in place when things like this go wrong. Did you manage to send @Lucy_OVO a PM in the end?

Just to add, there's already a topic on missed appointments, so I've added this message thread to the old topic to keep it all in the same place.

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,
I did send a PM (2 in fact) to @Lucy_OVO, but haven't received a reply.......but I did receive a phone call from another girl this afternoon, offering her apologies and explanation.
She was pleasant and offered to book another time for my meters to be changed, but I've decided that I'll wait until that becomes necessary, as I can't afford to waste another day.

Cheers
Grant
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @pissedoff - I sent you a PM today which I hope helped. If you need me to help with anything else, feel free to reply to my most recent PM.

Lucy
I am another person who has wasted a day of their holiday entitlement waiting in for phantom engineers. I find it completely unacceptable in this day and age that OVO and it's partner cannot tell me 48 hours in advance that the engineer will not be calling as I have to give OVO that much notice if I wish to cancel or change the appointment.
Then at 18:05 I get an automated text from OVO asking me how the install went !!!!
At 18:44 I get a phone call from the partner company apologising for the engineer not arriving and asking me if I would like to re-arrange the fitting. I suggest the following Monday as I already have a day off booked but they cannot make that. I haven't made an appointment but will be available at home any Saturday or Sunday plus Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.
I look forward to OVO crediting my account with the £30 for a missed appointment but feel that this amount is far short of the amount it should be to make missing apointments really hurt the Company and to fully recompense me for a wasted day off.
Another Happy Customer NOT
Userlevel 3
Badge
There's not much more I can add to this thread, as I've already related my experience with a missed smart meter installation appointment, and I agree that £30 industry defined compensation is hardly adequate when anyone has taken a day's leave (and possibly needs then to take another one). In my case, I was required to have a smart meter fitted by OVO after having solar panels fitted, but I would question why anyone would voluntarily want to have a smart meter fitted - the only benefit I've had is not having to supply a monthly reading.
Hi all,
we have called 4 times to get it and all the time we specified the our meters are over 6ft hight.
the 3rd time they called and did not came because there were not been advised they would need a ladder; other 3 times they came without or with a very small ladder.
I called again around 10 days ago, specified again that the meters are over 6 ft, and specified around 3 m and that they are into a "box" but when opan there is plenty of space to work in then we agreed to get contact via email from adviser giving us the possible days when they could come (my wife lost already enough jobs for nothing) and nobody get in contact with us anymore.
Anybody else had problems to get the smart reader?
thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi,

It sounds like your case is slightly unusual.

My experience was very good, I made an appointment, they turned up and professionally installed the new meters.

Who have you been in contact with? OVO customer service?

Matthew
of course! 4 times I have called them and this never ending story is going on for months and months. Never had any problem before with OVO but this is really annoying!
Oh! i see people talking about compensation for missing appointments. I want the smart reader and I would like to have a receipt for my compensation (4 times!) given in charity.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi, that does sounds really bad. I wasn't sure if you had been dealing with OVO direct or Lowri Beck who seem to do some of the installs on behalf of OVO. My guy seemed to work directly for OVO.

Have you tried sending @Lucy_OVO a message here on the forum, she may be able to help? Click on her name and then press "send message".

I hope you get sorted soon.
Had my meters booked for today, 17th Nov and understood within the last 24 hours there's a £30 fee if I cancel.
So on the 16th Nov Ovo leave a phone message that they will not be coming and said they would also email. By the time I heard/read all this, its the late afternoon, well within the time I would be charged £30 for cancelling. So I thought, as I've taken a day off work, perhaps Ovo being the great company they say they are, would send me £30, I mean why not, its only fair?!

Oh no, they notified me before the 24 hours, the email was sent 27 minutes before the official 24hrs. Come on Ovo, the working day before is 24 hours, lets not get pedantic.

I'm glad I'm in a cooling off period for my 2 year renewal, which I have just cancelled. No way I can give you over £2000 for the next 2 years if your going to act like that.
Add me to the list of missed appointments (2 in my case). I even phoned specifically yesterday to confirm all was going ahead. Ws told definitely yes. Today after another no show im told lower beck never even had me in their system!!

So now have to take a 3rd days holiday in the new year for another game of appointment lottery. Have had to register a formal complaint on the phone as £30 each time is just not good enough. i can accept one missed appointment but after that your into new levels of incompetence.

i dont know what else you can do though as the whole thing seems stacked against the consumer who is using valuable holiday time for this when it could be used on other things like an actual holiday!!
I can completely appreciate your frustration here, @socmwils23 - and it's understandable that after a second missed appointment, you've decided to raise a complaint.

Now that you've raised a formal complaint on the phone, our Team will be in touch within 5 working days with information on the next steps.

I really hope they're able to find a resolution for you, but if you need anything else in the meantime, just drop me a PM.

Thanks,
Emily
Thanks for the reply Emily.

I was supposed to get a written confirmation of my complaint from ovo but have still have not heard anything. Could someone look into this please as id hope the complaint hasnt been ignored.
Hi @RoddersUK

Thanks for getting in touch. It's disappointing to hear about your experience - we all know how frustrating it is when appointments get cancelled! As this cancellation works both ways, we wouldn't pass on a charge if you managed to send in an email to cancel it yourself shortly before the 24 hour window.

If you'd like be to look into this, please send us a message via Facebook, Twitter, or email (hello@ovoenergy.com).

Cheers,
Emily

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings