Solved

Engineer damaged gas meter box when fitting smart meter - who do I contact?

• 16 January 2018
  • 1 reply

So I had a smart meter installed by OVO contractors on Friday.

Saturday morning I’ve gone outside to car and noticed the work done by the engineers on my brown Gas box which contains the Gas smart meter. The lid of the box is hanging off and the the hinge on one side is snapped clean off. Upon opening the box I can see why...It appears the engineers have had to fit additional gas pipe work which is clearly too big to fit in the box. This results in the lid only able to close halfway before hitting the pipework. Their resolution appears to have been to snap one of the hinges off the back and leave the back half of the box hanging in the air with a big gap at the back for lots of rain water to enter the box and fill up.

Not happy at all with this, it’s not acceptable to just damage a customers property in order to half close the lid!!

How do I get this resolved?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 18 January 2018, 14:56

Not happy at all with this, it’s not acceptable to just damage a customers property in order to half close the lid!! How do I get this resolved?

That's not good to hear @En1gma111

It sounds like you have a 'semi concealed' gas meter set up. Usually we'd not fit a smart meter as there's limited space. However with Pay monthly customers (who don't need to look at the meter screen) it is up to the engineer if the box is big enough.

We will need to investigate this via our Care team. Can you contact us via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com - we'll need pictures of the meter box area.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Not happy at all with this, it’s not acceptable to just damage a customers property in order to half close the lid!! How do I get this resolved?

That's not good to hear @En1gma111

It sounds like you have a 'semi concealed' gas meter set up. Usually we'd not fit a smart meter as there's limited space. However with Pay monthly customers (who don't need to look at the meter screen) it is up to the engineer if the box is big enough.

We will need to investigate this via our Care team. Can you contact us via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com - we'll need pictures of the meter box area.

Thanks,
Tim