Solved

Duplicate smart meter installation email "you're about to get smarter" two years later

• 10 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Today I received the same smart meter installation email that I received back in 2015 when my smart meter was installed. EXACTLY THE SAME with the same planned installation date of 04/11/2015. What's going on OVO?
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 12 August 2017, 03:08

Hi @Ray

I can only speculate at this stage that it may be some kind of computer glitch.

If you drop one of the mods a private message with your post code account number date of birth and address they can double check it for you.

@Emma_OVO @Tim_OVO
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Ray

I can only speculate at this stage that it may be some kind of computer glitch.

If you drop one of the mods a private message with your post code account number date of birth and address they can double check it for you.

@Emma_OVO @Tim_OVO
Matt
Yes, I can only imagine that something has gone wrong with OVO's smart meter notification suite of programs.

When I first skimmed the email I thought my smart meter was going to be upgraded - there has been quite a bit in the press recently about smart meters that aren't smart enough. It was only when I read the email carefully that I spotted my original smart meter installation date.

Coming from a professional IT background, I also thought it might be a clever scam to set the scene for a visit by bogus installers. I'm now satisfied that it is not,however ...

I would expect OVO to pick up on this and provide a formal response, AND IF NECESSARY send out an email to all affected customers (I can't imagine I'm alone) with an explanation and reassurance. .
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Ray,

Thank you for posting back - im sure one of the lovely moderators will pass this on to be looked into and remidial action will be taken if required.

@Lucy_OVO @Emma_OVO or @Darran_OVO given that we are in a world where email scams are notorious is there an example email or guidance for customers on what genuine communication from ovo will look like/minimal security information to reassure customers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Today I received the same smart meter installation email that I received back in 2015 when my smart meter was installed. EXACTLY THE SAME with the same planned installation date of 04/11/2015. What's going on OVO?

Hey Ray,

I’d like to look into this for you, as it’s hard to advise what’s gone on here without looking into your account. I’ve sent you a private message so feel free to reply to this when you can.

Cheers,
Lucy