Solved

Do I need to be at home to have a outside wall mounted smart meter fitted?

• 24 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi, do I need to be at home to have a smart meter fitted? My current meter is on an outside wall fully accessible. Thanks
icon

Best answer by Transparent 24 January 2019, 20:42

Hi @hannanp Firstly, do I assume that we're only talking about an electricity meter, and that you don't have gas?

Even so, there are a number of reasons why a Smart Meter Engineer requires access to the property and for you to be present.

a. you need to be given the IHD and shown how it operates. It can't just be popped through the letterbox because the Installer needs to verify that it can receive the Zigbee data signal within the house.

b. the Installer normally commences the work by doing a visual safety check of the Consumer Unit, which is presumably inside the property. This check ensures that the meter tails are properly installed and informs him/her what type of earthing arrangement is employed.

c. it is normal for the Installer to isolate (with your permission) any electrical apparatus which is normally left on, but which could be damaged when the power is reapplied to the house. Common sense prevails here, and if was my house, I'd certainly want my computers, telephone, alarm system and heating controls disconnected so that they can't be affected by a switch-on surge.

d. the Installer needs to confirm that there is no heating device being left operational without the necessary mains-driven devices to keep it safe. A typical example is a log-burner with a water-pump taking heat to a water-tank. If the pump isn't going to be working for several hours, then the log-burner should be run down to prevent the back-boiler tank overheating.

I've obviously given generalities here; but I hope it's enough for you to understand why your presence is required.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @hannanp Firstly, do I assume that we're only talking about an electricity meter, and that you don't have gas?

Even so, there are a number of reasons why a Smart Meter Engineer requires access to the property and for you to be present.

a. you need to be given the IHD and shown how it operates. It can't just be popped through the letterbox because the Installer needs to verify that it can receive the Zigbee data signal within the house.

b. the Installer normally commences the work by doing a visual safety check of the Consumer Unit, which is presumably inside the property. This check ensures that the meter tails are properly installed and informs him/her what type of earthing arrangement is employed.

c. it is normal for the Installer to isolate (with your permission) any electrical apparatus which is normally left on, but which could be damaged when the power is reapplied to the house. Common sense prevails here, and if was my house, I'd certainly want my computers, telephone, alarm system and heating controls disconnected so that they can't be affected by a switch-on surge.

d. the Installer needs to confirm that there is no heating device being left operational without the necessary mains-driven devices to keep it safe. A typical example is a log-burner with a water-pump taking heat to a water-tank. If the pump isn't going to be working for several hours, then the log-burner should be run down to prevent the back-boiler tank overheating.

I've obviously given generalities here; but I hope it's enough for you to understand why your presence is required.