Solved

Can I still have a gas smart meter fitted if the meter box is too small?

• 13 December 2018
  • 1 reply

An engineer visited for a smart meter installation around a month ago. He fitted the electricity meter but as the gas meter is situated in the ground he said he needed an adaptor and he'd used the only one he had on his last job so he couldn't do the installation. He said he would report this back and I would be contacted for a second appointment in the next few days. I didn't hear anything and so called, explained the issue and arranged the second installation myself.

A different engineer has been today and he says that the gas meter can't be changed as the meter is too big for the casing. He went through the motions and showed me that it is too big due to the lip on the meter stopping it fitting properly into the case and therefore raising it too high so that the elbow joint from the pipe is too close for it to be attached. When I asked about the adaptor previously mentioned, he said there was no such thing and they all carry standard kit.

My question therefore, is, is there an adaptor available that would get round this issue or was the first engineer just 'fobbing' me off?
icon

Best answer by Beth_OVO 14 December 2018, 12:27

Hey @RebeccaK

Sorry to hear you couldn’t have a gas smart meter fitted!

If your gas meter is semi-concealed (in a brown box in the ground) or just in a smaller case/ cupboard then unfortunately there isn’t much we can do, such as fit an adaptor to have the gas smart meter fitted.

The first engineer may have not had the correct equipment needed for your meter set up. I can appreciate being told on the 2nd appointment that you can’t have one at all is a little frustrating.

I'm confident that the engineers would have provided the correct information, but if you want us to take a look, you can email photos or your gas meters to hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hope this helps,
Beth

Updated 26/02/2020

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hey @RebeccaK

Sorry to hear you couldn’t have a gas smart meter fitted!

If your gas meter is semi-concealed (in a brown box in the ground) or just in a smaller case/ cupboard then unfortunately there isn’t much we can do, such as fit an adaptor to have the gas smart meter fitted.

The first engineer may have not had the correct equipment needed for your meter set up. I can appreciate being told on the 2nd appointment that you can’t have one at all is a little frustrating.

I'm confident that the engineers would have provided the correct information, but if you want us to take a look, you can email photos or your gas meters to hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hope this helps,
Beth

Updated 26/02/2020