Solved

Can I get a SMETS2 Meter installation?

• 24 August 2018
  • 78 replies

(reposting this question as I can't reply to my original question which has been closed and the answer has missed the point - I'm not interested in PAYG/prepayment meters - I'm trying to get rid of them - and find out about getting pay-monthly SMETS 2 meters installed)

Hi,
I've currently got prepayment meters for both gas and electric in my house and have been waiting for a supplier to offer installs of the SMETS 2 meters before joining that provider.

What's the current status with OVO?

Obviously I basically want to know:
- If I sign up now do I get offered a free smart meter installation
and
- If so, will it be SMETS2?
and
- If not, is there a scheduled date for when this is likely to be available?

Many thanks,
Rich
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 28 August 2018, 13:25

(reposting this question as I can't reply to my original question which has been closed and the answer has missed the point - I'm not interested in PAYG/prepayment meters - I'm trying to get rid of them - and find out about getting pay-monthly SMETS 2 meters installed)

Sorry to hear that @Rich-M,

If you've currently got prepayment meters, unfortunately you won't be able to switch to OVO as we only supply 'credit' properties that pay by bill/Direct Debit.

If a new customer switches over to OVO, they'd be eligible for a free smart meter exchange. This would depend on engineer coverage and appointment availability in the area, so we can't guarantee they'd be able to book one in immediately.

Updated 27/06/19 We've started installing SMETS2 meters in more areas, you can check availability in your area here.

Hope this helps.
View original

78 replies

@Tim_OVO to confirm and make clear here are screen captures of the online booking system right up to the confirm button. At no point does it ever mention what type of meter will be supplied.

I finally managed to speak with Ovo and they confirmed my suspicions; they are still installing SMETS type 1, so I cancelled my installation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @David John Bradshaw - We're discussing the issue of SMETS2 electricity meters failing over here on another Topic.

Can one of the Moderators (@Tim_OVO? @Nancy_OVO?) please move/merge this Topic across there please?

The problem about erroneous/high readings on your IHD is being discussed here. Note what I've written about my IHD being "corrected" a week ago, and also my earlier message here, which @Darran_OVO helpfully amended when he informed us that the problem is due to a software error in the Communications Hub, and not the IHD itself.

Feedback on SMETS2 installations on the Forum is being read by Ben, a member of the SMETS2 Team at OVO. So please feel free to add comments and clarify issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey @Stewieb ... you had a Smart Meter installation booked to occur on the same date as Brexit?!

Not surprised it was cancelled. There's only so much stress one can take in a day! 😯
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@Steven10 you might also want to read here where I've given an overview of my own SMETS2 installation last week.

If you've already got SMETS1 meters, it's most likely that they will simply receive a software upgrade to operate with the SMETS2 protocols. I have no idea how this occurs for customers who move to OVO, but whose meters are from an earlier Energy Supplier whose meters OVO didn't ever use.

Perhaps @Eva_OVO can find someone in OVO who knows more about that please?
No wanting to start a whole new thread on what seems to be a major topic and issue around the whole smart meter debacle that we face.

I have just moved over from BG. Am in a new build property and am fairly sure that I have SMETS2 meters fitted as they have a WAN led on them, which using my comms engineering background and knowledge from internet searching about SMETS2 indicates that it uses the dedicated WAN that has been established for SMETS2 to use, which then gives interoperability between all suppliers.

My question is, will OVO be able to access these meters and so negate me from having to book an engineer to come and fit new smart meters? From what I have read so far, it appears that there is no guarantee that the meters that get fitted will be SMETS2 and I will more than likely get a SMETS1 fitted, so taking a step backwards.

If this is the case, I will be hanging onto what is fitted and accept that I have to submit readings each month until OVO sort their game out and get everything into one sock and can use the meters I have fitted.

EDIT - Have been to Harry's bedroom and can report that I am fitted with a Landis+Gyr E470 electricity meter that feeds into a Trilliant SEAP-2001-V comms module.

Hi there
The meters you have fitted are smets1, getting smets2 fitted at mo is dependant on the area sometimes even the street you live on, signal depending.
The WAN light is on all models of smets1 smets2 meters. There should also be a HAN light too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Rich-M - to put it simply, if you've got traditional meters you can't change your payment type upon changing supplier. If you've got top up meters and you're switching, you'll need to sign up as a top up customer. This is down to the way the physical meter works, which will need to be changed if you'd like to pay differently. The new supplier may then be able to exchange your meters to credit ones so you can pay monthly. Your existing suppleir may also offer to do this.

If you've got smart meters, some interoperability is possible, but this depends on the supplier and the meter model.

As a relatively small, Pay Monthly only company, we couldn't take on a customer with traditional (non-smart) top up meters.

Hope this helps
Thanks Nancy. Think I'm clear now! Finally I hear you say 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@achmelvic @Organic @Iwan79 @Shelster1973 @NeilFoz see the 'best answer' at the top for info on our SMETS2 roll out.

Here is the link to our booking platform, where it will specify which meter type you'd get!

More info on SMETS2 here!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Grumpypurple Welcome to the OVO Forum.

I checked your Profile to see which geographical area you're in, but it's still blank. Please fill it in, then we can better answer such questions. Thanks.

PV system... if installing a Smart Meter disrupted a pre-existing PV system, then it wouldn't have passed the certification process! If, however, your existing meter is providing you with particular facilities which aid your usage of PV, then please say what these are here.

Thick walls and distances between the two meters is usually overcome by installing a Zigbee Repeater in a suitable location within the house. This is mains-connected but takes negligible power.

Most of these issues are covered during the installation process itself. There's not much that can be achieved by talking to OVO at this stage. You'd actually get far more extensive information from this Forum!
@achmelvic @Organic @Iwan79 @Shelster1973 @NeilFoz see the 'best answer' at the top for info on our SMETS2 roll out.

Here is the link to our booking platform, where it will specify which meter type you'd get!

More info on SMETS2 here!

Please can you screenshot where on booking platform it shows where you ascertain what type of smart meter you will get?
Userlevel 5
Take a look at the best answer, @brianelectgas, the link will let you know if there's SMETS2 appointments in your area!
Userlevel 5
For everything you need to know about switching to us with smart meters, @Steven10, take a look at this topic.

We'll eventually be rolling out SMETS2 meters everywhere, read through this topic for more information. 🙂
Many thanks, very useful
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I've just witnessed a SMETS2 installation by OVO at a mate's house in Devon. Details and photo are on another thread here.

So it seems like they are not always going to wait until 16th. It probably depends how many engineers are SMETS2 trained in your geographical region.

And, on that note, the thoroughness of the OVO training was immediately obvious in the way the engineer carried out the job. Knowing I was present, he kindly spoke out loud as he was carrying out each step of the process. There's a strong audit-trail including the need for him to submit 23 photos of parts of the installation. He also enters codes into an OVO App which record things like the type of mains incomer to the property and the physical status of the wiring.

Well done OVO! This fully vindicates your decision to phase out the use of 3rd party meter installers.
Since January my smart meter has been playing games. Initially the hub was informing that we were using circa £50 a day combined gas and electricity. I worked out that the unit rate had been multiplied by ten for some reason, but as this was not reflected on my Ovo account, I didn't bother that much. Unfortunately, my electric meter is no longer communicating with the smart hub or Ovo. The gas meter is working fine, communicating with the hub and Ovo.

Does the smart meter installation come with a warranty?

Is there any quick checks I can do to identify the issue. And do you provide assistance rectifying the issue
Userlevel 5
Badge
Please read through the above feed, @samread, you'll find all the info you need. 😊
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
It's not been fully mapped out yet, @jonlin. More info on this as and when it comes!

The idea behind the SMETS2 meter platform is that all suppliers will be able to communicate with this type of meter, so they'll definitely still work with other suppliers.
Hello - does anyone know if anyone from Ovo still participates in these forums or is it just a user community forum now?
Nancy, I think you missed the point. Will the upgrade make the SMETS1 into an industry wide compatible SMETS2 so that switching suppliers will not leave us with a dumb meter.
I'm not willing to book an installation unless I know it will be a SMETS2 or guarantee that an upgrade within 6 months will make it fully SMETS2 compatible. I would like to see the type before I complete the booking.
I have switched to Ovo from Scottish Power. It is a new build house and there are smart meters installed but they work as traditional meters because they have not been commissioned yet. Will Ovo be able to commission the meters so that I can use the smart functionality?

If this is not possible I would like to have new smart meters installed and commissioned, preferably SMETS2. How do I contact Ovo?
I asked for a SMETS2 a couple of weeks ago and was told "we do not fit SMETS2 in your area at present", ie Suffolk, which is odd because surely fitting SMETS1 is supposed to finish on March 15th, ie less than 2 weeks away, after that date they no longer count in the jobs completed.
I declined the offer to join the SMETS1 queue, I guess I'll have to wait until whatever technicality is preventing Suffolk being covered is sorted out!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Moved your topics over here @smithy1311 - check out the 'best answer' for more info.
Another one asking the exact same questions here. Won't book a smart meter installation until it's confirmed, for definite, that we'll get a SMETS2 meter