Solved

Bad experience getting a smart meter - why do energy companies use Lowri Beck?

I booked to have a smart meter in February. The installer said our current installation was unsafe and aborted the visit . Western Power engineers can and said there was nothing wrong with but updated it for us.The next two appointments nobody from Lowry beck turned up but I was credited with £60. Because I then had difficulty trying to book another appointment I was credited with another £10 as goodwill gesture and then that appointment was cancelled by Lowry Beck about 3 days before they were due to come and told they were no longer working in my postcode area. I haven't heard a good word about Lowry Beck from anybody associated in the Industry so why do the Energy supply companies use them?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 May 2018, 13:55

It sounds like a really bad experience trying to get this smart meter fitted @Coeur de lion

It's true that appointments can be missed. There's lots of factors that could go wrong to prevent an engineer from arriving on time and doing what's needed on site. But this experience is not typical, let me just confirm that!

We actually no longer use Lowri Beck to fit our smart meters. We use the Meter Operator 'Siemens' instead. Please refer to this booking schedule to rebook any free slots: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. If this isn't possible due to previous appointment complications, reach out to us via Facebook, Twitter or email for us to help: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
It sounds like a really bad experience trying to get this smart meter fitted @Coeur de lion

It's true that appointments can be missed. There's lots of factors that could go wrong to prevent an engineer from arriving on time and doing what's needed on site. But this experience is not typical, let me just confirm that!

We actually no longer use Lowri Beck to fit our smart meters. We use the Meter Operator 'Siemens' instead. Please refer to this booking schedule to rebook any free slots: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. If this isn't possible due to previous appointment complications, reach out to us via Facebook, Twitter or email for us to help: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
Still horrendous in 2019. First appointment to fix npower smart meter ok, but incomplete as signal needed boosting. Second engineer turned up late and said the same thing, rather than fix it as he was scheduled to do. Third appointment cancelled by LB, without notifying me. They said they'd tried to call once, but my answerphone had no record, and they didn't try again

Just horrendous, three half days wasted - inefficient discourtesy, lack of internal and external communication and complete disregard for the customer.

Avoid like the plague
Userlevel 6
Badge
Not good to hear, @Christof. As mentioned above, we don't use Lowri Beck for smart appointments anymore.

I'm not clear on what the underlying issue is here, or why we'd need to fix a smart meter that was installed by another supplier. Some more information surrounding this would be handy so we can offer some more detailed advice.

If an appointment wasn't attended, you'd be eligible for a £30 compensation payment. If you get in touch with the team on Facebook or Twitter and send them your account number, full name and DoB, they'll be able to look into this.

Thanks,
Nancy