Solved

Is Kaluza developing a system of software interlocks which will permit grid-connected export-devices to co-exist within the one household? Kaluxa AMA

• 7 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d like to ask Josh to again draw on his experiences with “If This Then That”.

Could you have a look at what I’ve posted here on another Topic about the situations which occur when a customer might have more than one Grid-connected Device (V2G charger, Home Storage Battery etc) controlled by the Kaluza Platform?

1: are you developing a system of software interlocks which will permit Grid-connected export-Devices to co-exist within the one household?

2: Are you able to satisfy the DNOs that a software approach is sufficiently robust that these home-based devices will operate within the G99 or G100 certification which they stipulate for each site?

3: Are you pursuing the possibility of DNOs contributing to the revenue stream if homes with devices controlled by the Kaluza Platform are able to be offered for inclusion within the contracts for Constraint Management Zones (CMZs)?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 30 October 2020, 16:53

An interesting question here for Josh, our Kaluza app product manager to answer. @ArundaleP and @Jequinlan you may also find this of interest:

Hi @Transparent and thanks for this question.

This may be something we look at in the future, but currently, the vast majority of our customers who only own a single smart device capable of export don't have this need. There is always a fine balance when we consider what to work on next. There has to be the right level of demand and opportunity. In this case, that demand isn't big enough yet.

Ultimately it is in our interest to convince DNOs that a software based approach is sufficiently robust to comply with G99/100. I'd point you to my other response here, about OVO wanting to reach the point where it's considered Critical National Infrastructure. We are involved in a number of trials with DNOs where there is the chance to generate revenue by offering different flexibility services.

Thanks,

Josh

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

An interesting question here for Josh, our Kaluza app product manager to answer. @ArundaleP and @Jequinlan you may also find this of interest:

Hi @Transparent and thanks for this question.

This may be something we look at in the future, but currently, the vast majority of our customers who only own a single smart device capable of export don't have this need. There is always a fine balance when we consider what to work on next. There has to be the right level of demand and opportunity. In this case, that demand isn't big enough yet.

Ultimately it is in our interest to convince DNOs that a software based approach is sufficiently robust to comply with G99/100. I'd point you to my other response here, about OVO wanting to reach the point where it's considered Critical National Infrastructure. We are involved in a number of trials with DNOs where there is the chance to generate revenue by offering different flexibility services.

Thanks,

Josh

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for posting the response, @Tim_OVO 

Before I can comment further, can you re-check the Link in my original question? It no longer points at a Topic where I posted anything!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve sent a personal response (via @Tim_OVO) to part of what Josh has written. I’m grateful for Kaluza being so open in answering our questions, and don’t want to pose any threat to this relationship by discussing here an issue which the OVO Group might reasonably expect to be kept confidential.

Returning to the point where Josh has now (twice) stated that OVO are wanting to reach the point where it's considered Critical National Infrastructure

I very much support this stance. As we leave the EU, it makes sense for the UK to be able to press ahead with technological advances which may in future be licensed to other countries. And let’s remember that Australia has just announced that it is to supply the Indra V2G charger, being controlled by the Flex platform. :relaxed:

I don’t know if Josh would agree, but I see the involvement of OVO’s customer base as crucial in Kaluza pursuing the goal of being the de facto standard for controlling distributed electricity storage and grid connected devices.

To that end, I believe there must be a fundamental shift in the operation of the Flex algorithms to ensure that us consumers have access to energy-mix alternatives and not just price-based strategies.

The wider population (and its Parliamentary representatives) are seeking more opportunities to engage in combating Climate Change. If Kaluza aren’t wanting to deliver those opportunities when setting preferences in the Flex UI, then you won’t gain the universal support that is required to become a monopoly energy-control mechanism.

Userlevel 7

Before I can comment further, can you re-check the Link in my original question? It no longer points at a Topic where I posted anything!

Yep it doesn’t take us to the right topic, but any ideas which one that was…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry @Tim_OVO I’ve just spent 20-mins searching, but can’t find the correct link.

Do you happen to still have a copy of the original Kaluza AMA Topic, prior to the moment when you started removing the stuff that had been answered?

Userlevel 7

Do you happen to still have a copy of the original Kaluza AMA Topic, prior to the moment when you started removing the stuff that had been answered?

No such luck, but this page lists all of the topics that have been made during this AMA event.

Isn’t it this topic @Transparent ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, this particular post in that Topic is at least relevant.

But it can’t have been that Topic because that one is itself an answer to the original Kaluza AMA Topic, and my link was inserted before any answers were generated.

I was clearly pointing to page that already existed in July 2020.